PDA

View Full Version : Mag problems, 8 rnd extended mags?

BobR
12-28-2010, 02:23 PM
I just recieved a pair of brand new 8 round mags for a K9, and both of them are having trouble seating - they require a frim slap to seat them properly, and they are reluctant to properly seat.

Both are of Kahr factory manufacture, I got them on sale from CDNN. THis is the first problem of any kind I have had with a Kahr mag.

Anyone have similar problems? If so, how did you resolve them?

Bawanna
12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
You might just take the slide off and watch while you seat one to see how the mag release is orienting itself to the slot in the mag. Mine typically require pretty firm pressure to seat but it could be you might have to open up the notch or modify the mag release a bit. If your original mag works fine I'd probably fix the new mags myself. Could be burr or something on the mag catch. Should be fairly easy to diagnose. Might even be able to measure the notch from a spot on the feed lips and compare your old and new mags.

BobR
12-28-2010, 05:13 PM
The originals work perfectly, as do all the other mags I have bought. I tried them in the MK I have as well, and they have the exact same problem, whereas the K9 7 round mags work perfectly in the MK.

From what I am seeing, I think I will have to lightly file the notch.

Bawanna
12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
The originals work perfectly, as do all the other mags I have bought. I tried them in the MK I have as well, and they have the exact same problem, whereas the K9 7 round mags work perfectly in the MK.

From what I am seeing, I think I will have to lightly file the notch.

That's what I would do if they are pretty close. If not, I'd probably just send them back since your other mags work fine. I generally try to make stuff work, hate sending anything back but sometimes it's the right thing to do.

TexasK9
02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
had the same issue with a new kahr 8 round mag on both the k9 and mk9. took it back and got another 7 round mag that works fine

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I have three of those mags with the extended grip for my older K-9 and they load easily with less than moderate pressure from the heel of my hand. I haven't used them much at the range, so I can't say whether or not they function as well or not, compared to the regular 7-rounders. I have used them in my PM9 at the range a bit and can't see that they are any worse than the 6 or 7-round PM9 mags. I carry with the flush mag and use the others for carried spares, 7-rounder usually. I do the same with my PM45.

Wynn:yo:

Indigo
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Can you see the metal between the grip and the black plastic extension? Just in case the black is somehow too long.

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I just checked all three for fit. On the side, the plastic base touches the rubber factory grips and there is just a tiny space where the tube is visible from the front. Spacing may vary with other guns or grips, but mine looks like a perfect fit.

Edit: one thing I did notice... the top cartridge is pushed forward about 1/16th inch just inserting and dropping the mags. So there is "tippling" like some of the other 9mm mags.

Wynn