PDA

View Full Version : What type of CD ammo are you using for your P9?

In-Yo-Grill
11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
I've been out to the range twice now and have put an additional 300 rounds through my P9. I must report that I did have one FTE towards the tail end of my time at the range.

I've been experimenting with different types of critical defense ammo and found one that my gun really likes. First I tried the Hornady 115gr FTX. They shot good but my pattern was a little spread out. Next I tried Speer Gold-Dots in 147gr and was able to keep a 2" pattern.

I'm fairly new to ammo ballistics and would usually just buy one brand and dealt with whatever results it gave me. I'd still like to try other brands and that's why I'm wondering what else is out there.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

DakPara
11-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I have been very happy with the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my P9 so far.

jocko
11-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I have been very happy with the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my P9 so far.

hard not to be happy with that round. It is a dandy. My first choice...

stevehome
11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
I found you can't beat Cor Bon 115 +P It has the volocity and knock down by means of bullet fragmention. It has the desired penetration and is 100% reliable in my P-9 and PM-9. TRY IT, YOU WILL LOVE IT! Stay away from the heavier bullets because they lack knock down power. Police dept. who went that way with the heavier 147 bullets were disappointed with effectiveness of stopping power. YOu want bulet frangmentation, more wound channels!! I'm talking about the standard lead hollow point rounds that are listed muzzle velocity at 1350 FPS. For indoor use, you can go with Magsafe ammo. They won't go through you walls and strike a friend or family member.

rnpollard
11-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I believe that this is the best carry ammo period. If you take a look at other shooting forums you'll see that it is very well thought of.

It is 100% in my Colt .380. I have 5 boxes of the 9mm on order.

Stay safe,

Rick

jocko
11-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Corbon makes great defense ammo, IMO.

MGun
11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Check out the ballistics on the CorBon DPX rounds, available on the CorBon web page or on the box. My understanding is that the ballistics are optimized for shorter barrelled guns. Also, I would not conclude that the one FTE at the end of a long (300 round) shooting session was ammo based, or firearm based. Fatigue in grip could account for it, and to that end, if regripping the gun while shooting occurs, I have found the A grip, sold on the Kahr web page, to be a very comfortable addition to the grip -- worth checking out and very reasonably priced.

oldtex
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I'd recommend that you go to the m4carbine.net website, to their forum on terminal ballistics. There's a great thread there on best available loads in 9mm, .40, and .45. That thread has ballistic gelatin test results as done IAW various FBI standards.

Generally heavier is better: Federal's 147 gr HST (P9HST2), Speer's 147 gr Gold Dot, and the various Win Ranger 147 grain loads all consistently meet the standards. CorBon's DPX 115 +P load IIRC is a good one also, as is Win's Ranger 127 gr +P+, and Federal's 135 grain Tactical Bonded. These seem to be state of the art. Generally the 115 grain conventional JHPs (standard pressure and +P)exhibit less than acceptable penetration when tested in gelatin against the FBI standards (12" minimum penetration). Can't recall how the various 124 gr standard pressure and +P JHPs did.

Winchester Ranger ammo is very difficult to find if you're not an LEO. Federal's HST can be bought by us ordinary citizens at Streicher's website, but is frequently backordered. Gold Dots are more generally available but are outrageously expensive when packaged for civilians in the 20 round boxes; the 50 rd boxes for LEO are cheaper, about the same price as Fed's HST.

I use Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure loads (manufacturer product # P9HST2) in all my 9mm defense guns because they do well in the FBI tests, they're fairly available(I've sometimes had to wait several months for them from Streicher's so I keep a good stock on hand), and somewhat cheaper than Gold Dots or Ranger.

HST is not the same ammo as HydraShok; HydraShok is an older technology design that tends to clog rather than expand if it encounters heavy clothing prior to hitting tissue. I recommend not using it.

stevehome
12-11-2009, 12:02 AM
You have to look at the 115 HP Cor Bon ammo or even the Buffulo Bore 115 HP is even hotter. One thing about the speedy ammo is the may break up and this is actully good because is creates more wound channels! It has a very good track record for one shot stops.

In-Yo-Grill
12-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot 124gr and am trying to find the Corbon here locally.

Where can I go to find out if my P9 is rated for +P ammo?

WinstonRomeo
12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
I managed to score a box of Hornady 115grain Critical Defense for carry. The Hornady HPs work just fine in my P9 so the Critical Defense works just the same. Every ammo shoots better than I can hold, but rapid strings into 4" are just fine for defense shooting.

wyntrout
12-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot 124gr and am trying to find the Corbon here locally.

Where can I go to find out if my P9 is rated for +P ammo?

Link:Kahr Arms / Q & A (http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q4)

I tried to cut and paste but couldn't. The Q & A section answers your question and the last sentence says "The Kahr pistol is rated to +P."
All of them.:D
Wynn

mr surveyor
12-20-2009, 10:02 PM
personally, I think most all modern jhp ammunition will suffice for normal self defense distances (with the exception of the gimmick stuff). I also like Rem Golden Saber rounds as well as those mentioned.

surv

medezyner
12-21-2009, 06:05 AM
My shooting is split between the Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P JHP and the Black Hills 124 gr +P.
I like the idea of throwing a bit more weight at +P velocities so I've been using the 124 gr with good accuracy in my soon-to-be-retired CCW (Glock 26). When my PM9 rolls in, I'll see how those 2 rounds weigh-in. I'll pass on the 147 grain.

jocko
12-21-2009, 06:45 AM
I am told that kahr sights their guns in with 124 grain ammo. I like that weight. I shoot the 125 corbon HP and 124 gold dots, both work super.

jocko
12-21-2009, 06:48 AM
I've been out to the range twice now and have put an additional 300 rounds through my P9. I must report that I did have one FTE towards the tail end of my time at the range.

I've been experimenting with different types of critical defense ammo and found one that my gun really likes. First I tried the Hornady 115gr FTX. They shot good but my pattern was a little spread out. Next I tried Speer Gold-Dots in 147gr and was able to keep a 2" pattern.

I'm fairly new to ammo ballistics and would usually just buy one brand and dealt with whatever results it gave me. I'd still like to try other brands and that's why I'm wondering what else is out there.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

one round fte in 300 could be a "tired" shooter also, grip starts to change, gun starts to turn alittle.

I buy (order) my corbon direct from corbon.com. saves time looking for ammo that ur probablynot going to find anyways. Took me two months to get 2 boxes of 9mm 125 hp from corbon, ..