PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

JustinN
01-04-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

Seems a really cheap way to get setup to just make a few rounds - seems like I could get a 30-06 and 45-70 and only have $70 invested in reloading. I know there is a catch, but If I'm planning on reloading 10 rounds or so in a sitting, anything wrong with this?

Bawanna
01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Personally I'd pass it by. It will work and it will make ammo but your going back in time.
You will no doubt have to develop some loads for that 45/70 and the 30-06 so you'll probably have to load more than you might think to get a recipe that works good for you.

Personally I'd get a Rockchucker and good dies, they will last forever and ever. It's plently skookum to handle those 45/70 and 06 cases and plenty fast enough for casual rifle loading.

Way easier and faster than the hand tool the cowboys used to use sitting next to the campfire.

Not knocking Lee in the slightest, they make good stuff, just don't think this would make you happy for very long.

JustinN
01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
So what would be the advantage of the Rockchucker over the the rcbs partner http://www.basspro.com/RCBS-Partner-Press-Reloading-Kit/product/10200316/-278648
?

Again, i'm trying to go as cheap as possible, hence even considering the hand loader...

Bawanna
01-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm not nuts about the linkage setup on that press but it should still work. It's an O type press so its stronger than a C type which you don't even see much anymore.

The 45/70 and the 06 take pretty good pressure to resize so a strong press is a plus. That Partner would do it.

As someone else mentioned you might just shop around used for a decent press and then buy the starter kit and some dies new.

Get just what you need and the best you'll spend money on and your set forever.

I'm gonna check my stash and see if I got any other spare presses around. People bring me stuff all the time, too good to throw away but left to collect dust.

joshh
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
wish they had one of those for a 357MAX. i have a ruger blackhawk that i'd love to shoot but cant find the ammo locally and cant justify what it costs to have it made special order. once i do get some, i'll save my brass!!!

gpo1956
01-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I loaded a ton of 25-06, 357 and 45 Colt on these back in the 70's. They work very well and as you mentioned are cheap. They are especially good if you're not 100% sure you want to get into reloading, or if you just want to load 20-30-40 rounds at a time. Its a very good way to learn the basics of reloading. If you go with a standard press and decide you don't like, or don't want to continue reloading, then you will lose more on the resale of your press than this kit costs you. Also, I used to take mine to the range and load while I was there. I wouldn't want to depend on one now for all my reloading needs, but it is a very good set up to learn on.

JustinN
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I was reading a bit more on them and the only astonishing thing I read was you "occasionally" set off a primer while seating it....but other than that they don't seem to be awful. I'd probably buy a scale and some stuff, but still have less than a press, and then if I really like it look into getting a press....unless Bwanna comes up with one he wants to sell me on the cheap.. :D

Bawanna
01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I was reading a bit more on them and the only astonishing thing I read was you "occasionally" set off a primer while seating it....but other than that they don't seem to be awful. I'd probably buy a scale and some stuff, but still have less than a press, and then if I really like it look into getting a press....unless Bwanna comes up with one he wants to sell me on the cheap.. :D

If I come up with one in my stash it'll be free cheap and I'll pay shipping. If one of the boys around here has one thats decent, (none that I know of) it'll be cost and I'll still pay shipping.

I could be way off on this one too. Maybe this thing would be worth a try. I never recomend guys get into loading for a hunting rifle since they usually never shoot enough to make it worth it. Since you shoot 45 some and probably should alot more that would make it worth it and you could do some good things for a 45/70 too which I also dig alot. I want a guide gun, all stainless, with maybe a laminate stock. What I'd do with it is up for debate but I know I could love it and give it a good home.

Tilos
01-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I guessed that link to be wack-a-mole loading, and have seen a u tube vid of one in action.
An occasional primer going off will ring your ears for a month.
I would think any press (C or O) would be better than that..........and you forgot to add the price of the hammer.
Buy standard dies, a cheap press, a set of powder scoops, load, shoot, repeat.
just sayin'
Tilos

kpm9
01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
If you're gonna reload necked/rifle brass (especially) you'll need a reloading manual, scale, calipers and a case trimmer (if you use full length resizing dies).
Powder scoops can vary widely on the weight powder charge they will throw, depending on powder.

I'd stay away from full length resizing dies, as you WILL be trimming cases more often, which is a *****, not to mention chamfering and de-burring. It is the most time consuming of the operations (trimming, chamfering and deburring)

Failure to measure case length (pinched bullets) and inaccurate powder charges are the 2 most dangerous conditions in reloading IMO, since they can drastically increase chamber pressures.

If you want to just try reloading, buy new brass and load it once.

Replay13
01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Hello Justin,
Like Bawanna45cal said that press will work just fine for loading everything. If your going to swage bullets also, then the Rockchucker would be a good investment. When I was a kid I loaded a bunch of 300 savage on a cheap hand lee loader, but if you can afford it I would skip the lee loader.
I loaded thousands of rounds on a old RCBS Junior press that looked a lot like the Partner press and I never had any primer go off by seating, but its always good to keep your powder put up till your done priming the cases. It a lot easier and faster to seat primers with a separate hand press, but that will get you started just fine.
For basics, a powder scale to weigh powder charges and a caliper to measure cases. If your loading rifle cases too you will need a case trimmer and chamfer/deburring tool tool after you load the cases a few times. Your straight wall pistol cases probably will never need trimming. Also I would spend the exta $15 and get carbide dies for your straight well pistol cases, its worth it not messing with the lube.
There is a lot of other stuff you will acquire later if you keep reloading, but that will get you off to a good start.
If you have any questions just feel free to ask, I'm sure a lot of us has been reloading for several years.
Have fun and be safe!
James (Replay13)

JustinN
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Ok, what is the difference in these two kits?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=423081

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=121744

And of those two, also taking in http://www.basspro.com/RCBS-Partner-Press-Reloading-Kit/product/10200316/-278648 which is the best set for the money?

Bawanna
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
The only difference I can see is the 112$ unit comes with an assortment of shellholder for various calibers. Thats a pretty good thing as it would cover everything you'd ever load probably.
The Partner set doesn't come with a hand priming tool like the two Lee sets.
The 112$ is a great value it looks to me like. Everything you really need except dies. You can clean by hand or get a tumbler later.
I'm still not 100% happy with an aluminum press and the linkage system but they apparently work so might be worth a shot.

Tilos
01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
JustinN
Of the midway links posted, both presses use a breech lock bushing between the die and press, for quick die change.
For me, it would not be practical because every die, you use, would need it's own breech lock bushing at an additional expense.
I would look for a press with a 7/8-14 thread to accept standard dies without a bushing.

Bawanna
01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Once again I agree with Tilos. The breech bushing is a good thing if your doing alot of die changing and don't want to readjust dies. Once you have them set they are good to go unless something changes, different bullet etc.
But that system would require those bushings for every die.
It's kind of like a shell holder. I have to have a RCBS shellholder for my press and a Lee shellholder for my hand primer tool. So when you load something new you gotta remember to get those two items also.

JustinN
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I wonder how much are the breech lock bushings? If I am only reloading 30-06 and 45-70 that would be what, 6 dies? So a total of 6 bushings? That may be more than cheaper than the difference in those sets and the RCBS one at Bass Pro (what do you think of that set Tilos?)

*I won't be hitting 45 acp ammo, at least not for a while - I was doing some cleaning and found several hundreds of rounds of .45 I guess I forgot I had....

mad1ben2
01-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Check into the Lee Pro 1000... it's a progressive press that really isn't much more than the ones you're looking at. They get pretty good reviews from actual users... I don't have one but it's the one I'm considering getting... Just realized, it may not support the rifle cartridges you want to reload though... I will agree that the Rock Chucker is a great press and will out last most all of us! Good luck -

JustinN
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM
It won't swing the 30-06 or 45-70 unfortunately....

The nice thing about RCBS from Bass Pro is I have gift cards, a $10 coupon and get rewards points for more giftcards....so right off the bat I can drop $42 off the price of it, making this kit http://www.basspro.com/RCBS-Partner-Press-Reloading-Kit/product/10200316/-278648 only $120....might not be a bad deal....unless the breech bushings are so cheap it doesn't matter....then that negates that.

I need to sell my Kahr now, so I can buy the rifle, then justify getting the reloading set....such a chain reaction plan....*sigh*

Bawanna
01-06-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.basspro.com/RCBS-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/product/10200311/-311373

Justin,
There are many things and places in life where you can cut corners and try to do things on the cheap. In my very own personal opinion guns and reloading equipment are not one of those areas. I feel the same way about most tools, if I can't have good stuff I'll try to do without. Nothing worse than trying to do something with something that ticks you off everytime you touch it.
This isn't meant to toss mud on the Lee or the Partner (same outfit as the rockchucker) but the attached set has better everything, the powder measure is higher quality, the press it tough as nails and will last forever, the scale is even a step up.
In your shoes and again this is just my opinion I'd look for just a press, I'm looking too. Get a good one. Standard die threads. You can always get Hornady Lock N LOad bushings to fit those threads if you get hard core and want to change dies fast. Then just build around that press. Maybe get a digital scale, get the good stuff.
I would not settle for lesser quality because you want to save a few buck. I'd wait for the good stuff or get it piece meal.
A good reloading press will last several life times over and not be something that you have to toss or trade off to get what you really want.
In my own small mind I find myself wondering if you'll shoot 45/70 and 06 enough to justify the reloading effort. Since you've scratched the 45ACP off the list due to a few found boxes. Only you can make the big decisions.

JustinN
01-06-2011, 01:25 PM
One of the big differences on price is $.35 a round on .45 vs $1.39 per round for 45-70. I know it takes a lot of loads to make up the difference, but I have also wanted to reload for quite a while....so the urge to reload is there, and I'm looking for excuses to reload.

It is definitely a tough decision i'm trying to make, about buying a setup or what not...I won't really be able to justify one if I don't get a Marlin, but I figure if I'm patient enough I will eventually get one...then find myself empty the rifle over and over at over $8 per load of the gun....

Bawanna
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Theres lots of ways to justify reloading. If you get that Taylor Schofield in the right caliber 45 Colt is expensive and around here difficult to find. (Reload).

A 45/70 be in Marlin or sharps or whatever is expensive! (reload)

Your not shooting a 45ACP nearly enough to be proficient, shoot more!!! (reload).

I think we need to ease into this, let the planets align, keep our eyes on the prowl for all of the above and the reloading stuff since now apparently its gonna be mandatory for all the reasons above. (feel free to post this post on the fridge so the better half can see it) good luck.

Love Jocko.

Good last minute defense plan.

jlottmc
01-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I was thinking about the Lee hand press. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Cast-Iron-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NOUEQI I would need some dies that may be hard to find, but this should let me do a few rounds in what limited time I have to watch tv. Any thoughts?

100percent
01-08-2011, 09:37 PM
You can just lock a bushing into the Lee press and screw the dies in and out just like normal. I would doubt if they are expensive but you don't need more than just one of the set that comes with the press.

I wonder how much are the breech lock bushings? If I am only reloading 30-06 and 45-70 that would be what, 6 dies? So a total of 6 bushings? That may be more than cheaper than the difference in those sets and the RCBS one at Bass Pro (what do you think of that set Tilos?)

*I won't be hitting 45 acp ammo, at least not for a while - I was doing some cleaning and found several hundreds of rounds of .45 I guess I forgot I had....

gpo1956
01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
If you really think you're into reloading for the long haul, then I agree, go ahead and buy the best you can the first time. Before you do anything, look into the Forster Co-Ax press. Strong as hell, reliable, precise and compact compared to the other O type presses. It has universal jaws, so there is no need for different shell holders for each caliber and if you want to prime with it, it does this very very well. Also, the dies slide in and out instead of screwing in and out. This is pretty much the Cadillac of single stage presses and is much faster to operate and to change calibers than the Rockchucker or the Orange Crush. But, its also more expensive. I've owned several of all three and if I were doing it over again, I would start with the Co-Ax. Much better machine. Just my opinion.