PDA

View Full Version : 5 yr warranty

garyb
01-05-2011, 01:15 PM
BEWARE - Your warranty may be voided if you do a modification on your Kahr firearm. It is a decision each owner must make for him/her self.

I was recently prepared to magnaport my perfectly acceptable PM40 when I learned from Kahr that my warranty would be void. I have elected to maintain my warranty coverage for now. Warranties have monetary value that the owner must weigh against the modification they intend to undertake. It is a viable decision that must be made, so think about it before tearing into your gun.

DasFriek
01-06-2011, 07:22 AM
This is just me, But any company like Kahr that will sell you any part for your gun you may need direct i find a warranty useless.
That may come back to bite me with a cracked frame one day tho, But id be looking for a smith who was a good welder.
Im a 1911 guy at heart, So i ALWAY avoid sending my guns back to their mothers when i can do it myself for less than the shipping cost and at a fraction of the time.

But i know not everyone is like that, And a good warranty is worth the guns weight in gold. Like the guy i heard about yesterday that was a 1911 newb but not new too guns.
He couldn't get his slide stop pin into the gun as far as i understand he didn't know about the slide pin notch in the slide so he took a rubber mallet to the slide stop to get it into place.

Luckily it was a $350 gun and the company sent him a new slide stop and nothing other than that was damaged.
But working on your own guns isn't for everyone.

I would say that if you have your slide Magna-ported, Kahr should still warranty the frame still.

jocko
01-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Has anyone ever read this? It's called the Magneson-Moss Act of 1975.

Most car guys recognize it. The way it is normally applied is that a manufacturer cannot void or refuse to honor a warranty unless it can prove that a consumer substituted part is the direct cause of the failure of the product.

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law#Magnuson-Moss

right , I have been trying to explain that. If your grip breaks in half 4.5 years from now kahr will replace it whether you had the gun ported, slide melted or refinished or not. The defect is not the cause of what you did. Warrantys
as u well don't cover worn springs, normal wear and tear either. If is normally a good product, warranty's are never needed.

Some people tend to worry about things that 99% of people will never encounter even.

garyb
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I appreciate all the help with researching porting as a potential future project. The thread on porting was a good one which helped me sort through the porting issue. However, for me the issue is relatively simple... My PM40 is a new gun and I want to shoot it for awhile to be sure I don't encounter any bugs before I void my warranty. The warranty has potential real monetary value. It may be true that I may not encounter any problems at all, whether I do the porting or not. It may also be true that kahr will stand behind the rest of the gun (not altered). It is necessary to consider that the barrel and slide are two of the more expensive components. I am not really "worried" about anything and certainly not "99% of things that could go wrong". In fact, it just the opposite. My PM40 seems to be a great gun and currently shoots great with MINIMAL recoil just the way it is now....unported. However, I learned that Magnaport will improve recoil by 15-20% and muzzle flip by 30-40%. I just want to shoot it the way it is before I change anything that will void any component covered by this warranty. If I felt it needed porting now, I would do it. I will port it when the time is right. It's an executive decision...haha. The point is that before owners modify their firearm, they should also consider the warranty and check with the manufacturer to get an idea how they will handle things...before needing to go to war with them later. Thanks guys.