PDA

View Full Version : CW45 question

alanwk
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Took my newly acquired CW45 to the range and fired about 100 rounds. (Winchester white box) Three times I would press the trigger and nothing happened. Tapped, racked and pressed again and it fired. Whats up with this? Not a warm fuzzy comforting feeling, if this is my defensive handgun. Also when pulling the trigger you can feel the bottom of the magazine move. Has not dropped as I have read that some do. Thanks for your input.

Jim K
11-03-2009, 11:16 PM
alanwk,

Make sure the trigger bar is not interfering with the magazine. If the bar is bent it will rub.

Is there a slight over travel in the trigger when sear releases? (~1/10")

Can you feel the sear release cleanly every time while dry firing?

Good luck.

alanwk
11-04-2009, 04:58 AM
alanwk,

Make sure the trigger bar is not interfering with the magazine. If the bar is bent it will rub.

Is there a slight over travel in the trigger when sear releases? (~1/10")

Can you feel the sear release cleanly every time while dry firing?

Good luck.
How would I know if the trigger bar is interfering or not?
Sorry but i don't know that much about smithing.

Jim K
11-04-2009, 06:43 AM
alanwk,

Check out item 13 of the parts list for the CW45 on the following link:

KAHR ARMS ONLINE SHOP (http://www.kahrshop.com/index2.asp?cate=parts&model=cw45)

Take the pistol and lock the slide back. Insert an empty magazine. Actuate the trigger and look down the magazine well from the top. You should be able to see the trigger bar moving on the upper R/H side of the magazine well as you actuate the trigger.

The trigger bar should not interfere with the magazine to the point that it makes the magazine move when you actuate the trigger.

Hope this helps. Jim K

jocko
11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Took my newly acquired CW45 to the range and fired about 100 rounds. (Winchester white box) Three times I would press the trigger and nothing happened. Tapped, racked and pressed again and it fired. Whats up with this? Not a warm fuzzy comforting feeling, if this is my defensive handgun. Also when pulling the trigger you can feel the bottom of the magazine move. Has not dropped as I have read that some do. Thanks for your input.

sure ur allowing the trigger to reset. You have to let up on the trigger and sometimes one thinks he is letting up and indeed is not. The trigger not doing anything tends to leave me thinking that could be happening.

I would give it some more rounds down range . None of my kahrs magazines move when pressing the trigger. The only thing that could come into contact witht hat magazine when the trigger is being pulled is the trigger bar as Jim stated. take the slide off, insert a loaded magazine, look down inside and pull the trigger,us should be albe to diagnose that alot easier. Not sure even if that is happening that it should cause what your trigger is doing.

You might need to have the trigger bar replaced to.

If that is the case and u just bought it, call kahr and tell them what is happening andif they say send it back, say fine, now issue me a pickup on this new gun, which they will do if u ask..

give it some more rounds, test some of the above theories out before panicking and calling Kahr. that should be ur last resort..

alanwk
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
sure ur allowing the trigger to reset. You have to let up on the trigger and sometimes one thinks he is letting up and indeed is not. The trigger not doing anything tends to leave me thinking that could be happening.

I would give it some more rounds down range . None of my kahrs magazines move when pressing the trigger. The only thing that could come into contact witht hat magazine when the trigger is being pulled is the trigger bar as Jim stated. take the slide off, insert a loaded magazine, look down inside and pull the trigger,us should be albe to diagnose that alot easier. Not sure even if that is happening that it should cause what your trigger is doing.

You might need to have the trigger bar replaced to.

If that is the case and u just bought it, call kahr and tell them what is happening andif they say send it back, say fine, now issue me a pickup on this new gun, which they will do if u ask..

give it some more rounds, test some of the above theories out before panicking and calling Kahr. that should be ur last resort..
Bought it used so sending to Kahr is prob out of the question. Thanks
When I get home tonight I will check it out.

jocko
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
ALANWK; PM sent..

Underdog
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
My son had the same exact problem with a CW9, the trigger would not reset. When it happened if you took your finger and pushed the trigger forward, you would feel a click. Then it would fire and be ok for a few rounds, then it would do it again and again. The gun would actually fire with the mag removed, it's not right. Called Kahr and they were aware of the problem (trigger fails to reset), they fixed it. It is a dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.

jocko
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
My son had the same exact problem with a CW9, the trigger would not reset. When it happened if you took your finger and pushed the trigger forward, you would feel a click. Then it would fire and be ok for a few rounds, then it would do it again and again. The gun would actually fire with the mag removed, it's not right. Called Kahr and they were aware of the problem (trigger fails to reset), they fixed it. It is a dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.

certainly changed the trigger bar for the fix to. It had to be out of spec. IMO it should not touch the magazine at all, whether it works OK or not.

Longitude Zero
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Strange. I have over 250 rounds thru my CW45 with not a hiccup.

HVAC Worker
11-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I have over 850 rounds thru my CW45 without a problem due to the weapon.When I first started shooting this weapon I had several problems with it and i thought it was the weapon.Wrong,it was all my fault,it takes a while to learn the feel of the action.Once you get it is like riding a bike,its all in the feel.:D

jocko
11-18-2009, 06:00 AM
I have over 850 rounds thru my CW45 without a problem due to the weapon.When I first started shooting this weapon I had several problems with it and i thought it was the weapon.Wrong,it was all my fault,it takes a while to learn the feel of the action.Once you get it is like riding a bike,its all in the feel.:D

and Ihave been told by some kahr inside people that many guns are sent back that like your had zero problems in the first place. I have always said a gun and the shooter also has to "mate" up to get right, just like the gun itself has to have rounds down range to mate itself up correctly also....:19:

Jim K
12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Jocko,

My friend,Kurt is deploying to Afganistan tommorow. He asks if he needs to "break in" his M-4 & M-9. :crazy:

mr surveyor
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
are you suggesting that anyone would be deployed into a battle zone with an unproven weapon??????

surv

500KV
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Put another 100 rounds through my CW45 and PM9 this morning; boringly reliable.
I'd bet that a lot of these minor issues would disappear if folks would just shoot the heck outa' them.

I've finally convinced myself that the more I shoot mine, the better they get.
What do you guys think?

jocko
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
He might just have to on the M9, not sure on the M4.. no doubt in my mind he wil lnot be going out on patrol without putting some rounds down range out of his two weapons.. so I would call this proof testing, break in, or what ever. I would say if one never tests his combat weapon for reliability, , then he is not to smart either..

jocko
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Put another 100 rounds through my CW45 and PM9 this morning; boringly reliable.
I'd bet that a lot of these minor issues would disappear if folks would just shoot the heck outa' them.

I've finally convinced myself that the more I shoot mine, the better they get.
What do you guys think?

except for about one person whom I would never mention:53: ur dead right and they do get better with rounds down range:popcorn::popcorn:

Streetking
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
certainly changed the trigger bar for the fix to. It had to be out of spec. IMO it should not touch the magazine at all, whether it works OK or not.

I've had many problems with my CW45. Bought it new too. Magzine dropped when fired. Take doiwn pin would back out. Not very happy withthe piece. Sent it back and supposedly it's repaied.

Bawanna
12-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I've sent a couple actually 3 Kahrs, 2 were officer back up guns and my own. Even though the officers guns were purchased used they didn't care. They repaired them at no charge. Even sent them back in a new plastic box like original. I was very pleased. I'd agree with the others that many more rounds need to be fired before sending it off to Kahr but if need be I think they will take good care of you.

PS- I'm not a paid endorser, maybe I just got lucky.:confused:

Jim K
12-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I gotta agree that Kahr has an excellent service Dept. They will take good care of you.

Some retail sales clerk may tell you that you need to fire at least 200 rounds through your pistol before it works and claims this is "break in", but I call B.S.

When you purchase a new weapon it is smart to make sure it is reliable. If it fails, even 1 time during proof, then send it back. Don't listen to some shill telling you it "needs more rounds down range" unless he supplies the ammo. Don't trust your life to some crap that some 41,73,73 spouts about "break in".

Kahr makes a decent pistol if you get one that has no issues. I love my P9 for it's size and weight but I had alot of heart burn with it when it was new. I don't have time to work out problems with another one.

Of course all of this is my opinion, but I expect my firearms to work when I buy them.

Regards to everyone, you too Jocko.

Jim K

jocko
12-10-2009, 08:46 AM
on my,,, failing one time during proof, "send it back" wow when u don't even know what caused the faulure, ur ready to box it up. you might be calling me a shill but I callthat just dumb stupid logic... and regards to you Jim K.

Vinikahr
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I gotta agree that Kahr has an excellent service Dept. They will take good care of you.

Some retail sales clerk may tell you that you need to fire at least 200 rounds through your pistol before it works and claims this is "break in", but I call B.S.

When you purchase a new weapon it is smart to make sure it is reliable. If it fails, even 1 time during proof, then send it back.

Kahr makes a decent pistol if you get one that has no issues. I love my P9 for it's size and weight but I had alot of heart burn with it when it was new. I don't have time to work out problems with another one.

Jim K

I haven't gone to the range to test my CW45 yet, but had an issue with the magazine did not drop freely like my other autos. Hence, it was sent back to Kahr (http://www.kahr.com/KA-2.html). The first time the issue was not corrected, so it went back to them again on their dime. Their guns are no cheap even the CW line. Hence, is expected that they sell you a product that is reliable (http://www.kahr.com/KA-2.html)period. When I finally shoot the darn thing sometime next year, Am hoping no big issues after the break in, but should an issue be experimented, it definitely will be send back.:laser:

jocko
12-30-2009, 03:10 PM
MANY KAHRS THE MAGAZINE DOES NOT DROP FREE IN the polymer models. why some do and some don't I can't tell you but my PM9 does not and personally I like it that way. I don't consider it a defect, some might. I have never read one way or the other if the magazines are supposed to drop freely. I only carry one magazine, it is not a race gun and if by accident I hit the mag release button, I don't have to worry aobut it flying all over heh either. so for me if the magazine dropped that would be ok but being it has never done that since day one, I now like it even better. YMMV

concealed carry since 1962

jfrey
12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Underdog said "the gun would even fire with the magazine removed". I wasn't aware they had a mag disconnect. Did I missunderstand something. My CW9 will fire with the mag removed. I have dryfired it several times without a mag.

paul0660
12-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Strange. I have over 250 rounds thru my CW45 with not a hiccup.

Another pointless reply.

Kahr should take care to not make their "unsolicited" positive comments so obvious.

signed, a happy Kahr owner.........of a steel one.

If you want to know what might go wrong with your plastic CAR, go to the warranty page and select the drop down list...it is all there........they know.

Jim K
12-31-2009, 12:33 PM
I gotta agree with Jocko for the second time in the history of man. Aaaargh! What am I saying?
My P9 magazines will not drop free on cold days. I never considered this to be a reliability issue (of course that's just another opinion). Plastic has roughly twice the coefficient of temperature expansion compared to metal. That might explain the cold day thing.
Of course, the advantage of plastic frames is light weight. That's why I chose mine for CCW.
Since this issue does not affect the reliability of your pistol will you consider polishing the high spots on the inside of the magazine well?

Regards, Jim K

jocko
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Ihave two factory mags that came with my G19. One will drop at ease, the other hangs up. Neither bother me. I have read where a few people have worked on their kahr magazines to allow free dropping. Some have stated they worked on the insdie of the grup/magwell with a file to take out some high spots. and some have reported working on their steel magazines to free them up. Some magazines could indeed be somewhat buldged and one would never know it by looking for again they are bent/formed and then welded stainless and probably not all magazines are exactly the same..

and a happy new year to my good friend Jim, glad u have agreed with me twice this year, you realize that is twice more than i have agreed with you.!!!

Jim K
12-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Ihave two factory mags that came with my G19. One will drop at ease, the other hangs up. Neither bother me. I have read where a few people have worked on their kahr magazines to allow free dropping. Some have stated they worked on the insdie of the grup/magwell with a file to take out some high spots. and some have reported working on their steel magazines to free them up. Some magazines could indeed be somewhat buldged and one would never know it by looking for again they are bent/formed and then welded stainless and probably not all magazines are exactly the same..

and a happy new year to my good friend Jim, glad u have agreed with me twice this year, you realize that is twice more than i have agreed with you.!!!
That's allright Jokko,

I'm patient. You'll see the errors of your ways. You did agree with me once last year but at your age I can make allowances :)

Your still one up on me but don't get a big head.

Regards, Jim K