PDA

View Full Version : new pm40. any issues?

srice425
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
i am wanting to trade my g23 for a pm40 for daily carry.

i have done a little research but was wanting to come here and get some honest feedback.

are there any major issues with the pm40 to look for when trading?

are there any good rubber grips for them?

500KV
11-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Man, that almost brings tears to my eyes when you talk about parting with your G23. :(
You'll get a lot of advise, pro and con, but IMHO you have one of the finest handguns out there considering size, reliability, stopping power, etc.
Try to find some way of keeping it and also acquiring a PM40. Where there's a will there's got to be a way.

I'm sure you'll get some good reports on the PM40. I don't have one (yet) but most people indicate that they are indeed fine guns.

Ventura
11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Some of our local sherrifs traded in their PM40s. It hurt too much to shoot them. The stinging hands made followup shots difficult.

srice425
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
yes i agree. i love the g23. its just uncomfortable to carry, even in my crossbreed.

n0igu
11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Some of our local sherrifs traded in their PM40s. It hurt too much to shoot them. The stinging hands made followup shots difficult.

You've got to be kidding about the "sheriffs" trading them because of stinging hands, right? How many sheriffs are their in your county anyway? Most only have one. I've had a .40 S&W of one brand or another for years, My PM40 has had hundreds of rounds this year alone and even with my little hands it's not ab big deal. Haven't you ever shot a .357 Mag or .44 Mag? I'd sure hate to have a LEO come to my aid that was that soft. There are some nice slip on grips that really help the feel.

jocko
11-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Man, that almost brings tears to my eyes when you talk about parting with your G23. :(
You'll get a lot of advise, pro and con, but IMHO you have one of the finest handguns out there considering size, reliability, stopping power, etc.
Try to find some way of keeping it and also acquiring a PM40. Where there's a will there's got to be a way.

I'm sure you'll get some good reports on the PM40. I don't have one (yet) but most people indicate that they are indeed fine guns.

agree, keep the glock also. The PM40 is a super little gun but be prepared for some recoil . Probably the smallest and lightest 40 cal on the market and if there is one complaint or comment it is RECOIL. If I owned it, no doubt I would have it magna-ported to tame it down ALOT. A really nice gun, just don't go in blindy on it, see if u can find a range that maybe rents them or an owner who will let u fire some rounds. this might help you alot to make up ur mind BEFORE you put out the bucks...

Ventura
11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
All I know is the people at the gun store said their stock of used PM40s were all sheriff trade-ins because of recoil.

ltxi
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
All I know is the people at the gun store said their stock of used PM40s were all sheriff trade-ins because of recoil.

I can believe that. Even Mas Ayoob thought it was a bit much when he initially reviewed it and the only Kahr's I've seen on my dealer's shelf in the last year are lightly used PM40s....they're not selling.

I have a G23 that I wouldn't part with. But "combat" shooting with my G27 is an unpleasant chore and I wouldn't even consider something smaller/lighter/harder to control in .40 S&W for defensive work.

Call me a wimp if you will but my primary concealed carry piece is a PM9. I shoot it well...can hit what I'm aiming at, repeatedly a/r.

Ratmando73
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I will throw in my $.02 here. I have owned a PM40 since their inception and have thrown 11,862 rounds down range with it. I sold my G22,G23 and G27 after shooting the PM (it didn't hurt that my dept went to the HK). I was and still am an avid Glock fan but $$$$ dictates what I can and can not have. For a personal defense concealable weapon, for everyday carry or backup, the PM40 has no peers IMHO.

The PM40 is a handful and I have said many times on this and other forums you have to practice with it to maintain a level of competency. I work very hard on double taps as it is hard to regain the site picture. XS Big Dots helped a bunch but nothing takes the place of lead down range.

I have now started carrying a P40 Covert that I had MagnaPorted (Jocko's suggestion). To be honest I could not tell the difference in felt recoil from the PM to the Covert. The 1/2 inch longer barrel helped my accuracy and I like any advantage I can get but the weapons bucked the same. The MagnaPort has dropped the felt recoil of the Covert by somewhere around 50%.

Just my opinion but I don't think you can go wrong with a PM40.

KAHRX9
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
These guys seem to be handling the recoil of the PM40 pretty well.

YouTube - Kahr PM40 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQk4hqjD1w)

YouTube - Kahr PM40 Rapid Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGAhd04JW8)