PDA

View Full Version : Iowa joins CCW states & includes reciprocity

aray
01-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah! As of January 1st 2011, Iowa's bill SF 2379 became law. CCW is now legal in Iowa and they accept out of state and non-resident CCW permits:

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

As a non-resident Florida CCW permit holder, I've been waiting for Florida to formally update their list of reciprocity states and I just noticed tonight that they finally did that. It is located at:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

(The killer on that list for us non-resident FL permit holders is footnote #4 (with a bit of a caution on #5 as well). However that's not a problem with Iowa so I/we are good to go.)

So I'm up to 32 states I can CCW now as a non-resident of FL: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. If I were an actual FL resident, I could add four more states to that list for a total of 36.

Alas, my own home state of The People's Republik of Maryland is not on that list (we are "may issue" but practically "no issue") so 99.999% of the time I'm just out of luck. But I do treasure the rare opportunities to do this when I leave the state.

Anyway, good news for us all!

jocko
01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
heh ur always welcome in Indiana whether your packin or not.

Dietrich
01-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Hooray for Iowa!! Glad to hear the people there can now be in the position to protect themselves better.Aray,correct me if I`m wrong but weren`t you considering moving to Tennessee or North Carolina a while back?Is that still in the works? I`m sure you would be an asset in either state.

CS534
01-17-2011, 06:25 AM
so whats the deal with georgia?

johnh
01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Good news! Now I can carry all the way north when visiting the wife's kin in Minnesota. I still have to disarm when going into Illinois, but it is rare that I go in that direction.

jocko
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
I just drive 10 miles slower when in Illinois!!!!

aray
01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Aray,correct me if I`m wrong but weren`t you considering moving to Tennessee or North Carolina a while back?Is that still in the works? I`m sure you would be an asset in either state.

Thanks for the kind words, and yes I do hope to flee the state of Maryland when I retire. Alas that's at least 10 years away so no time soon. Good memory on your part: I have relatives in North Carolina, and love the mountains in Tennessee, so both of those are in the running. Considering Kentucky as well. Gotta do more camping between now & then to decide where we really want to end up.

recoilguy
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Its great news they honor all states CCW, is that correct?

RCG

wyntrout
01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
From the link above:

QUESTION: I live in another state. Will Iowa honor my concealed weapon permit issued in another state?

ANSWER: Iowa will honor any valid carry permit issued by any other state and will grant all privileges to such permit holders as those
granted to Iowa residents including the concealed or open carrying of a firearm (excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive
weapons (federal NFA or Class 3)) and the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in
excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be
carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than
Iowa law. You do not have to be a resident of the state from which your permit was issued. However, an Iowa resident may only carry
with an Iowa issued permit.

QUESTION: My state requires a reciprocity agreement before it can recognize an out-of-state permit. Will Iowa enter into such a
reciprocity agreement?

ANSWER: No. Iowa law does not provide for entering into reciprocity agreements with states that require them. Iowa will honor any
valid permit issued in any other state.

Too bad all states aren't like this!

I'm glad that I live in Florida... also the only state in the Union with no snow... yet. :D

Wynn :)

jocko
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Indiana is like that. We are presently builing a 400 miles 60 ft high fence along the Indiana/Illinos border to keep illinois people from coming into our state and screwing up our gun laws. Where there are no fences yet, we have people stationed along those areas "coyote:" hunting.. Some of those people don't see to well either!!!!

deuce
01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Indiana is like that. We are presently builing a 400 miles 60 ft high fence along the Indiana/Illinos border to keep illinois people from coming into our state and screwing up our gun laws. Where there are no fences yet, we have people stationed along those areas "coyote:" hunting.. Some of those people don't see to well either!!!!
Hooray for Indiana!http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/Smileys/default/clap.gif (javascript:void(0);)

MikeyKahr
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
From the link above:

QUESTION: I live in another state. Will Iowa honor my concealed weapon permit issued in another state?

ANSWER: Iowa will honor any valid carry permit issued by any other state and will grant all privileges to such permit holders as those
granted to Iowa residents including the concealed or open carrying of a firearm (excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive
weapons (federal NFA or Class 3)) and the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in
excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be
carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than
Iowa law. You do not have to be a resident of the state from which your permit was issued. However, an Iowa resident may only carry
with an Iowa issued permit.

QUESTION: My state requires a reciprocity agreement before it can recognize an out-of-state permit. Will Iowa enter into such a
reciprocity agreement?

ANSWER: No. Iowa law does not provide for entering into reciprocity agreements with states that require them. Iowa will honor any
valid permit issued in any other state.

Too bad all states aren't like this!

+1! I wish every state adopted this set of regulations, this may be a good start for national ccw regulations! Welcome to the club, Iowa. It's too bad some of us would have to get through Illinois to get to Iowa! (arm, disarm, rearm would get old fast)

ltxi
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Excellent!!

Kingcreek
01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Many of us in Illinois are working hard to get CCW here. Chicago is the only reason we don't already have it. Most of Illinois is a great state. It was nice to spend a day in Iowa shopping with my wife and legally armed with my PM9 and Utah non-res permit.

ltxi
01-26-2011, 08:20 PM
You know, I agree. Well stated. Illinois in general is a great place. Chicago should be sold off, fenced, and treated as a hostile, alien territory/country....complete with passport requirements for entry and exit.

aray
01-27-2011, 01:34 AM
You know, I agree. Well stated. Illinois in general is a great place. Chicago should be sold off, fenced, and treated as a hostile, alien territory/country....complete with passport requirements for entry and exit.

Agreed but I would add Urbana and Champaign in with Chicago. I got my graduate degrees from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The mentality was the same, but with less urban blight & crime of course.

Never drove out of town into the farm areas to do cow tipping, though some of my fellow college students claimed to have been involved in that, so they said.

MikeyKahr
01-27-2011, 01:55 AM
To the OP, I was re-reading through the Iowa statute and came across an interesting Q&A in the FAQ:

QUESTION: My state requires a reciprocity agreement before it can recognize an out-of-state permit. Will Iowa enter into such a reciprocity agreement?

ANSWER: No. Iowa law does not provide for entering into reciprocity agreements with states that require them. Iowa will honor any valid permit issued in any other state.

This is an interesting component yet quite unfortunate for Iowans. In states that seek reciprocity agreements with other states for CCW, Iowans who CCW will never be able to carry in those states as Iowa will not enter into the agreements. Therefore, by law, I'm good to carry in Iowa but someone from Iowa will not be allowed to carry in my state (and other states that require reciprocity agreements). Is my interpretation of this law correct? Or am I missing something? Doesn't this law without the provision for reciprocity hurt the home-staters and help out-of-staters instead?

aray
01-27-2011, 02:30 AM
To the OP, I was re-reading through the Iowa statute and came across an interesting Q&A in the FAQ:

QUESTION: My state requires a reciprocity agreement before it can recognize an out-of-state permit. Will Iowa enter into such a reciprocity agreement?

ANSWER: No. Iowa law does not provide for entering into reciprocity agreements with states that require them. Iowa will honor any valid permit issued in any other state.

This is an interesting component yet quite unfortunate for Iowans. In states that seek reciprocity agreements with other states for CCW, Iowans who CCW will never be able to carry in those states as Iowa will not enter into the agreements. Therefore, by law, I'm good to carry in Iowa but someone from Iowa will not be allowed to carry in my state (and other states that require reciprocity agreements). Is my interpretation of this law correct? Or am I missing something? Doesn't this law without the provision for reciprocity hurt the home-staters and help out-of-staters instead?

Your logic is sound, if some state requires a formal agreement before it will recognize another state's permit. But do you know of any? Most states are willing to enter into formal or informal agreements as long as the other state recognizes their permit in turn.

For example you'll notice Florida has recently added Iowa as a state it recognizes and grants reciprocity to, despite Iowa's refusal to enter into a formal agreement:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Which state do you live in and do they enforce the formal agreement policy?

MikeyKahr
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Your logic is sound, if some state requires a formal agreement before it will recognize another state's permit. But do you know of any? Most states are willing to enter into formal or informal agreements as long as the other state recognizes their permit in turn.

For example you'll notice Florida has recently added Iowa as a state it recognizes and grants reciprocity to, despite Iowa's refusal to enter into a formal agreement:

Which state do you live in and do they enforce the formal agreement policy?

aray, thanks for the reply. And thanks for your testimony and work for our 2A rights. I think Ohio would be a good test case for consideration. An Ohio resident can now lawfully carry in Iowa with an Ohio CHL with Iowa's law, but an Iowa resident will not legally be able to carry in Ohio until the two states enter into a reciprocity agreement which Iowa states it does not do (at least not yet?). As best as I can tell, Ohio requires a reciprocity agreement with other states before allowing those states' residents to carry in Ohio. There's so many things to keep track off with these patchwork state and local laws, one needs to practically be a lawyer to keep it all straight!

jocko
01-27-2011, 02:25 PM
indeed it is a screwy thing, but this reciprocity agreement is IMO just something that their legislature needs to ok, such as Indiana agrees to let any state with a ccw to carry in our state, whether they allow us or not. Most states seem to go that way, Kinda screwy why they would not reciprocate both ways but some don't. It takes some awhile to get around to it, but I have been told that some states reasoning for not allowing reciprocity "carte blanc" is that like Indiana, all u have to be is 18 to apply for a ccw permit, not training, or qualification required, clean record of course but that is it. where as maybe the state that doesn't recognize it has a stricter ccw carry permit requirement, such as training course, firing course, testing etc, along with clean record. In Indiana you can legally apply for a permit to carry at age 18 but yet federal law requirements to buy a handgun is 21. Figure that sh-t out..

aray
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I understand the arguments about states not wanting to allow reciprocity if other states have a different or lower set of permit standards. But Florida is a good counter-example to that. Florida requires live fire to get a CCW permit but allows states without that requirement (e.g. Utah) to carry in Florida anyway.

Well as MikeyKahr said, ya gotta be a lawyer to keep all thus stuff straight!

Hopefully someday Congress will pass a federal reciprocity law. Works for drivers licenses or marriage licenses - why not CCW licenses? (Actually I think I heard the NRA is working on that with our friendly Congresscritters.)

deuce
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
The Feds. seem to want to control everything else out there, it surprises me that they are not aggressively working on something like that. Not sure if that would be a good thing or not but the rediculous laws being enforced by some of these states are definately in need of changing.

jlottmc
01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Boxer just threw her hat into the national reciprocity game. This one is scary, read up on it.

jeepster09
01-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah! As of January 1st 2011, Iowa's bill SF 2379 became law. CCW is now legal in Iowa and they accept out of state and non-resident CCW permits:

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

As a non-resident Florida CCW permit holder, I've been waiting for Florida to formally update their list of reciprocity states and I just noticed tonight that they finally did that. It is located at:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

(The killer on that list for us non-resident FL permit holders is footnote #4 (with a bit of a caution on #5 as well). However that's not a problem with Iowa so I/we are good to go.)

So I'm up to 32 states I can CCW now as a non-resident of FL: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. If I were an actual FL resident, I could add four more states to that list for a total of 36.

Alas, my own home state of The People's Republik of Maryland is not on that list (we are "may issue" but practically "no issue") so 99.999% of the time I'm just out of luck. But I do treasure the rare opportunities to do this when I leave the state.

Anyway, good news for us all!

Thanks for the info, living next to Iowa it'sgood to know.

jocko
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Hopefully someday Congress will pass a federal reciprocity law. Works for drivers licenses or marriage licenses - why not CCW licenses? (Actually I think I heard the NRA is working on that with our friendly Congresscritters

we were just one or two votes from getting that bill passed a few years ago. It willcome, just gonna take a few more republicans to get it done. My neighboring state Illinois is even getting close. I don't see it happening soon but I think in time it will happen.
Indiana has always been a very liberal state for ccw carry. have mixed emotions to about one having to quality with agun before getting a permit. Still deosnt tell you what is between his ears, jsut that he can shoot a gun fairly well.

We just had one of our finest in my home town shoot a hole in the floor board of the squad car while going to a home arrest, with an AR15. Just because they have a badge doesn't aways tell you if there is anything between their ears all the time, especially in small towns where pay is crappy for these guys, so what kind of talent do you really get sometimes but Rambo's with a badge and a gun.

HadEmAll
03-27-2011, 08:35 AM
It's good to have Iowa on my "shall visit" list now.

wyntrout
03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I hope that Illinois get a CCW law passed with reciprocity. I no longer have to go to Wisconsin since my son moved... twice, but my daughter and Ex still live in Illinois and I go up there once a year. I would sure like to carry while there.

My LEO brother is coming to visit next week and I wonder if HE can legally carry onto the Navy bases. I can't and I'm not sure if the LEOSA or whatever allows that, either.
I can't wait to see how well he shoots. I can probably keep up with him at 7 yards with my 1911 Champion, but forget 15 yards.

Wynn:D

wyntrout
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Updated link to Florida CCW Reciprocity:

Fedor
03-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Good. Counting my home state, that makes 26 I can carry in.