PDA

View Full Version : Discounted NRA membership upgrades

aray
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been an NRA Life Member for decades. Got it years ago when I was single with more disposable income. Anyway I've been feeling a bit bad recently as I haven't sent them any money probably since that time. (I've been dumping what little extra money I have into the equally worthy SAF since they are spearheading a lot of the more recent successful 2A lawsuits. But I digress.)

Anyway I got the normal solicitation letter from the NRA recently, only to discover that they have a discount now in upgrading to the next level of membership. Normally to go from a Life Member to an Endowment Life Member is an extra $1,000. Love to, but sorry I just don't have that much spare money sitting around right now. Fortunately, until sometime in March, they are offering discounted membership upgrades for $250. Still a lot of money, but hey it is a good cause and we need a strong NRA, SAF, and all other similar groups healthy, especially in this current climate. So even though it hurt I bit the bullet and upgraded.

Dunno if this same discount on upgrades applies to other membership levels as well, e.g. going from a standard Member to Life. Doesn't hurt to check it out.

If anyone is interested, you can do this online at:
www.NRA-Activate.org (http://www.NRA-Activate.org)

jocko
01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I joined as a life member back in 1962? for $150 and had 3 years to even pay that balance off. what a deal. Course back then 150 was a ton of bucks to, but today I look back on it as a verynice investment..

aray
01-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I joined as a life member back in 1962? for $150 and had 3 years to even pay that balance off. what a deal. Course back then 150 was a ton of bucks to, but today I look back on it as a verynice investment..

Wow. That's a very good deal indeed. When I joined it was up to a grand, and I paid the full price. Fresh out of college that hurt too, but as I said I had no family & no responsibilities so it was a bit easier to justify making that investment. Glad I did though.

jocko
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
have no idea today what life membership cost is???? course we are talking 49 years ago to.

I paid $1600 for a new dodger 6 cylinder pick up truck back then to...Hell u can't buy 4 tires for one today for that..

Bawanna
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Aaah the ole days. I remember my first job pumping gas (when we used to wash windows, check oil and air tires etc) and regular was 28 cents a gallon and we were the highest price in town. People would drive off in a huff cause the boss was robbing them.

Imagine the line if a guy could do that today. Full service, windows washed, headlights wiped off, oil checked, all by an angel. Have to hire people to direct traffic and count our money.

jocko
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I remember we sold Mobil gas for 32.9 and did all that courtesty stuff to. can"t remember 28Cents. amazing when you think of it. The dealer made money, the fella that trucked it to you made money, the oil company made money, the foreigners who shipped it over here made money, the shipping company made money.

100percent
01-18-2011, 04:03 PM
My wife and I are life members in training. Still paying. I think it is a good investment as NRA is the big kahuna of gun owner organizations.

jocko
01-18-2011, 04:25 PM
can one still today join as a life member and make payments for a given amount of time?????

ltxi
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
NRA Benefactor Member. Been that for awhile now. In all fairness....paid full price for Life a lifetime ago, no pun intended. But Endowment, Patron, and Benefactor came over the years through discount upgrades. Wife's Life membership also purchased at a discount some years back.

AFVet
01-18-2011, 08:01 PM
The NRA has been bugging me to renew. I've been debating it. I'm not real jazzed about their exclusive focus on gun rights. I believe all of our Constitutionally guaranteed rights are intertwined, and the NRA really rubbed me the wrong way when they were going to throw free speech under the bus when Democrats offered them a special waiver. I'm sorry, but if you don't have free speech, how are you going to protect gun rights? You make deals with the devil, and you'll get burned eventually.

aray
01-18-2011, 08:34 PM
can one still today join as a life member and make payments for a given amount of time?????

Just looked it up:

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

Full price is $1K, or 40 payments of $25.

aray
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
The NRA has been bugging me to renew. I've been debating it. I'm not real jazzed about their exclusive focus on gun rights. I believe all of our Constitutionally guaranteed rights are intertwined, and the NRA really rubbed me the wrong way when they were going to throw free speech under the bus when Democrats offered them a special waiver. I'm sorry, but if you don't have free speech, how are you going to protect gun rights? You make deals with the devil, and you'll get burned eventually.

Yeah, they took a lot of flak over that from their members (myself included). I don't think they'll be doing that again any time soon.

On the other hand it is hard to argue with the effectiveness of their laser-like focus on gun rights over the last few years. It's not my job to defend them, but we've seen the repeal of the assault weapons ban, repeal of the high capacity magazine ban, CCW in national parks, civil immunity for gun ranges, etc. They've done a pretty good job in Congress to help us out.

I also think a lot of the Second Amendment Foundation too however. As I said they've taken the lead on 2A lawsuits recently. We're cheering here in MD as they have attacked the "good and substantial reason" to carry language which prohibits all but the politically connected from getting CCW permits in MD. As long as Obama doesn't replace one of the conservatives on the SCOTUS in the next couple of years I think we'll come out alright, eventually.

.45fan
01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I've been an NRA Life Member for decades. Got it years ago when I was single with more disposable income. Anyway I've been feeling a bit bad recently as I haven't sent them any money probably since that time. (I've been dumping what little extra money I have into the equally worthy SAF since they are spearheading a lot of the more recent successful 2A lawsuits. But I digress.)

Anyway I got the normal solicitation letter from the NRA recently, only to discover that they have a discount now in upgrading to the next level of membership. Normally to go from a Life Member to an Endowment Life Member is an extra $1,000. Love to, but sorry I just don't have that much spare money sitting around right now. Fortunately, until sometime in March, they are offering discounted membership upgrades for $250. Still a lot of money, but hey it is a good cause and we need a strong NRA, SAF, and all other similar groups healthy, especially in this current climate. So even though it hurt I bit the bullet and upgraded.

Dunno if this same discount on upgrades applies to other membership levels as well, e.g. going from a standard Member to Life. Doesn't hurt to check it out.

If anyone is interested, you can do this online at:
www.NRA-Activate.org (http://www.NRA-Activate.org)

Did you use the link you posted here to upgrade?
That link took me to a activate your benifits site.

To activate your 2011 NRA membership card, as well as the increased insurance benefits that now come with your membership, please enter the following information. Your NRA Member ID can be found on your membership card or your NRA magazine. Your zip code and security code are also required for security purposes.
Member ID: Zip Code: Email Address: Security Code:

aray
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Did you use the link you posted here to upgrade?
That link took me to a activate your benifits site.

Yes. After you activiate your benefits (free insurance upgrade - they might also "suggest" you buy more but you don't have to) it then continues and allows you to upgrade your membership status at the discounted price. Just keep hitting the "continue" or "next" buttons and you'll get to that point eventually.

.45fan
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes. After you activiate your benefits (free insurance upgrade - they might also "suggest" you buy more but you don't have to) it then continues and allows you to upgrade your membership status at the discounted price. Just keep hitting the "continue" or "next" buttons and you'll get to that point eventually.

Thanks I will look into that. I just couldn't understand what I needed to activate (life members automatically got the upgrade to 2500.00 insurance), I am a life member already, I think with the discount I should move up a level.

jimbar
01-20-2011, 10:43 PM
I too have thought about upgrading to "Endowment", and now can more easily afford it, so maybe I'll take that leap. As stated by others, I don't always agree with the boards ideas, but I believe they really are looking out for our rights.
For years, like you all, I used to get solictations from the legal branch of NRA wanting money for this or that, and have sent money in over the years.
I believe when I got my life membership, it was $300, so I guess another $250 don't seem like much.

Romadoc
01-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Jocko, I think you overpaid. I became a Conditional Life in 1960 by making a $25 deposit and got a coupon book requiring an additonal 4 quarterly payments of $25. Upon completion, I was elevated to full Life Membership. I had finished college 2 years earlier and got a brand new Volvo for $1795 with all taxes included. I also purchased a new Colt Agent for $60 (list price was $65) with a holster and 6 rounds thrown in to sweeten the deal.

AFVet
01-29-2011, 12:05 PM
So what are the benefits of being a life member?

jocko
01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Jocko, I think you overpaid. I became a Conditional Life in 1960 by making a $25 deposit and got a coupon book requiring an additonal 4 quarterly payments of $25. Upon completion, I was elevated to full Life Membership. I had finished college 2 years earlier and got a brand new Volvo for $1795 with all taxes included. I also purchased a new Colt Agent for $60 (list price was $65) with a holster and 6 rounds thrown in to sweeten the deal.

be right, I know it was around $`150. If I remember though I had 3 years to pay it in full. I think when I joined under their payment program it wa sin 62 or 63, again can't recall, but it was a damn good investment as u well know..

aray
01-29-2011, 12:43 PM
So what are the benefits of being a life member?

The big benefit is in helping the NRA help all of us.

They also send you some incentives: windbreaker or knife, certificate, stickers, that sorta thing. Once or twice I've gotten tickets for special events at their annual convention (but never used them).

And, of course, you get their magazine free for life.

jocko
01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I remember getting two tickets to the NRA convention a few years back when it was held at Louisville, KY. back in the 60's no windbreaker or knofe that I can recall.

noslolo
02-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Can you write it off, for taxes?

aray
02-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Can you write it off, for taxes?

Donations and membership fees to the NRA are not deductible, because they lobby Congress and are not tax exempt.

Donations and membership fees to the Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) however are tax deductible because they are a Civil Rights legal organization and don't lobby. Think of them as the ACLU for gun rights. (Except unlike the ACLU they aren't liberal. Or try to get murders set free because someone filled out a form wrong. Or try to ... well you get the picture.)

.45fan
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I received this offer in the mail yesterday from the NRA.
For another $25.00 we could have gave a 5 year gift membership to a military person and got a ticket to the Annual meeting festivities (special seating).

This link shows most of what was in the mailed envelope.
http://www.nraam.org/events/cavfe.html

Life ($275)
Life Member Freedom Experience seating
One Level NRA Membership upgrade**
Endowment, Patron or Benefactor Member credentials
Gift 5 year NRA Membership for a member of the military
Leadership Forum ticket

A seperate offer I found last week.
I just upgraded my 11 year old nephew to Life member last week (Upgraded my daughter last year). Cliff notes version is that a Life member can buy a gift membership for a family member for $300.00 until March 15.
Call the 800 number and press the option for life member and they take the info over the phone.