PDA

View Full Version : Please help with P45 trigger reset.

Indigo
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi all. I've got 2 P45's. For 7 months one was completely flawless. The other one went back to Kahr soon after purchase for a feed ramp polish as it was breaking magazines when rounds didn't chamber. After polish, it was also fine for 7 months. All of a sudden 1 month ago both of them started failing to feed, magazines cracked in back, only 2-3 rounds in a mag would fire the others wouldn't feed, or they would chamber but the trigger was loose, no reset, and by the end of the magazine the slide stop pin would be pushed out 1/8 inch. This literally appeared out of nowhere on both guns after near perfection. Sent them both back to Kahr. They again polished feed ramps, replaced slide stop spring, replaced all the broken magazines and paid for both ways shipping. They claim that both of them test fired 4 magazines each perfectly. I shot them tonight and one is perfect the other one will feed 100% of rounds but the trigger still won't reset. Basically you have to pull the slide back a quarter inch and then it's fixed. Kahr said they were fine and obviously one of them isn't so any suggestions as to what is the problem with that one? When I call Kahr back again I doubt they will be interested in paying a second time after they claim it's fixed. I want to sell these but can't in good faith pass along an issue to another person. Please advise. Thanks.

gb6491
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Will the trigger reset if you dry fire it and rack the slide? How does it function if you dry fire it and don't release the trigger until you rack the slide and let it go home, then release the trigger? Will it reset?
Regards,
Greg

jocko
01-22-2011, 10:36 AM
if both magazines feed properly, then IMO it is not the magazines causing it. There is no reason for the magazines to cause a light striker or not strike. If one is perfect and the other is poruding light strikers, then IMO the gun is out of time. Do you feel the slide is going back into full battery when this light strike happens? When it happens can you give the slide a slight nudge and if it moves at all forward then it is out of rtime and something is holding the slide back. Now could that be a magazine doing it?? I would certainly think not. I would send back the bad magazines that are causing the issues and retest, if that fails, then I would call kahr and explain to them what is going on .
a shame you have lost faith in both guns but I can certaily understand and I do admire your honesty in not trading or selling a gun that is not right.

Personally I do not feel it is in the magazines. I lean more towards an out of spec trigger bar, possable worn recoil spring not allowng the gun to totally go into battery, or maybe even more rounds needed down range even. You never stated how many rounds each gun had through it.. Make sur ethe recoil spring is on correctly, ipen end towardds the front of the slide. I would try to eliminate all the possables before calling kahr, and thenyou can tellthem exactly what you have done to try to sove the issue.

Probably wouldnot matter either but have u tried a different brand of ammo to see if possably it cold be ammo related. Hope your not shoot reloads, Over all bullet length could pay a part of this to. If possably those rounds are to long and getting caught in the throat area, it can hold backthe slide oh so little that youcan't see it but the gun isnow of of time. These are just suggestions, so please take them as that and maybe make a list of whatyou have done to correct the issue. If the gun has to go back for sure document to the kahr techs what you have done and what ammo u have tested with etc. They need to have a starting point. Light strikes are not a cause of limping the gun either. It is all about timing..

Indigo
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
if both magazines feed properly, then IMO it is not the magazines causing it. There is no reason for the magazines to cause a light striker or not strike. If one is perfect and the other is poruding light strikers, then IMO the gun is out of time. Do you feel the slide is going back into full battery when this light strike happens? When it happens can you give the slide a slight nudge and if it moves at all forward then it is out of rtime and something is holding the slide back. Now could that be a magazine doing it?? I would certainly think not. I would send back the bad magazines that are causing the issues and retest, if that fails, then I would call kahr and explain to them what is going on .
a shame you have lost faith in both guns but I can certaily understand and I do admire your honesty in not trading or selling a gun that is not right.

Personally I do not feel it is in the magazines. I lean more towards an out of spec trigger bar, possable worn recoil spring not allowng the gun to totally go into battery, or maybe even more rounds needed down range even. You never stated how many rounds each gun had through it.. Make sur ethe recoil spring is on correctly, ipen end towardds the front of the slide. I would try to eliminate all the possables before calling kahr, and thenyou can tellthem exactly what you have done to try to sove the issue.

Probably wouldnot matter either but have u tried a different brand of ammo to see if possably it cold be ammo related. Hope your not shoot reloads, Over all bullet length could pay a part of this to. If possably those rounds are to long and getting caught in the throat area, it can hold backthe slide oh so little that youcan't see it but the gun isnow of of time. These are just suggestions, so please take them as that and maybe make a list of whatyou have done to correct the issue. If the gun has to go back for sure document to the kahr techs what you have done and what ammo u have tested with etc. They need to have a starting point. Light strikes are not a cause of limping the gun either. It is all about timing..

Jocko, I have about 1500 through each of them a mix of Remington fmj and golden sabers they were very reliable until just recently. I spoke with Kahr yesterday and they agreed to take it back again and suggested by telephone that one if your suggestions, the trigger bar, is the likely culprit. I think their goal is to replace things as conservatively as possible to minimize their cost but when you pay shipping 4 ways for 2 round trips then that defeats their purpose. I haven't lost faith in them I put about 40 rounds today from the good one into a 6 inch hole at 30 feet but I just more or less wanted to go to one caliber and have fallen in love with the all metal K series. Thanks to you both for advice.

jlottmc
01-22-2011, 02:38 PM
My P45 acted funny the last time I took it out, same kinds of things, and the slide wouldn't lock open on empty. I figured out that I hadn't put the slide stop in correctly the last time I had taken it out, and that my slide stop spring was too tight. No worries, I fixed it in no time, and haven't had a problem since. Moral of the story, sometimes you need to step back and railroad crossing (stop look and listen), then often times the gun will tell you what is wrong. I had another of my most reliables give some problems when I showed it off, culprit there my dumba$$ had but the recoil spring in backwards with the open end toward the rear. That is another likely culprit.

jocko
01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Indigo. a trigger bar cost kahr nadda compared to now they taking your gun back and paying both ways. They just tried to be alittle cheapo in the fix. In as much as the trigger bar is the culpirt most all the time, why not while it is there just replace it . oh well send it back, let them do it right. Hell who knows it might come back and you might start to like it again. they are great guns and I can understand your concern to. so I won't comment on what I would do, as I went through the same sh-t with kel tec. Had to send my 3 kt's back a total of 17 times (no not a misprint) before I could get any of them reliable enought to peddle them in good faith. Thse three guns were in kt longer than I owned them when you combined the times. It took always 4 to 8 weeks to get any one gun back. kahr will not be like that I can assure you of that.