PDA

View Full Version : K9 Ejector Question

cynergyou
01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi All,

I have a Kahr K9 ejector that I bought brand new a couple of years ago. It is my third K9 that I've owned. It has been very reliable - no failures to feed or fire yet (knock on wood).

The one thing that I have noticed is that the ejection pattern of my Kahr K9 is sometimes inconsistent. Most of my empties fly out to the right and rear of the gun. However, I sometimes get the occasional casing that bounces straight back at me.

I've read a suggestion on this board to try a heavier recoil spring. I haven't tried the heavier recoil spring yet (I'm still using the standard weight springs - i think they are 20 pounders). I plan to buy some heavier weight Wolff recoil springs and test them out in my gun.

However, I noticed that my ejector on my K9 has a little bit of play in it. I can wiggle it up and down slightly, and side to side as well. Is this normal? Does the ejector on your K9 have some play to it or is it fixed tight?

My ejector only has some slight play in it. It's not much, but I was wondering if this might be the cause of the occasional erratic ejection.

Thanks in advance!

Cynergyou

ripley16
01-22-2011, 05:50 AM
The ejector in my K9 has some slight movement as well.

PaiN
01-22-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm going to shoot this weekend, I'll report back on mine after I strip it for cleaning.

cynergyou
01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks Ripley. I guess a little play is even necessary. I skimmed the user manual last night and reread the part that says to push down the tip of the ejector when reinstalling the slide to avoid hitting the ejector with the slide.

jocko
01-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Hi All,

I have a Kahr K9 ejector that I bought brand new a couple of years ago. It is my third K9 that I've owned. It has been very reliable - no failures to feed or fire yet (knock on wood).

The one thing that I have noticed is that the ejection pattern of my Kahr K9 is sometimes inconsistent. Most of my empties fly out to the right and rear of the gun. However, I sometimes get the occasional casing that bounces straight back at me.

I've read a suggestion on this board to try a heavier recoil spring. I haven't tried the heavier recoil spring yet (I'm still using the standard weight springs - i think they are 20 pounders). I plan to buy some heavier weight Wolff recoil springs and test them out in my gun.

However, I noticed that my ejector on my K9 has a little bit of play in it. I can wiggle it up and down slightly, and side to side as well. Is this normal? Does the ejector on your K9 have some play to it or is it fixed tight?

My ejector only has some slight play in it. It's not much, but I was wondering if this might be the cause of the occasional erratic ejection.

Thanks in advance!

Cynergyou

My K9 ejector has up and down play and side play. not alot either way but it is there. What you are seeing is normal. That ejector is pinnedina the back and play is going to happen. It willharm nothing and that is also whykahr recommends sometimes to push downon the ejector when reinstalling the slide.

I have the 22# recoil springs in my K9 and love um. I still will get at times a roundin the head. That could be possable a lighter loaded round, or recoil springs that need changed or just one of those things. Sometimes it is the shooter positioning also. A lefty might get more in his head than a rithgy to. I being a lefty can certify that at times. I bet round sin the head from my G19 more than I do any of my kahrs and I kinda attribute that to being left handed, as my brother when he shoots is clear of them.

It was a good question to ask and hopefully you willbe more at peace with the K9 now. If it isn't the finest 9mm on the market in all steel, it is in the top 3 IMO.

There is nothing wrong with your K9, Just shoot it like u stole it.

by the way yourkahr K9 came with 20# factory recoil springs. If I was u I would order from wolffs the 22# and try um ech to see if either one makes any difference as to where the casing fly.

gunsprings.com will get u to wolffs.

kpm9
01-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Shoot enough and that will happen with any gun. That is why I wear eye protection.

ripley16
01-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Shoot enough and that will happen with any gun. That is why I wear eye protection.
... and a hat. :nerd:

eastenn
01-22-2011, 07:40 AM
When I get an ejection that is irregular it is usually due to my grip, like if I shoot one handed or weak hand. If you are shooting fast or aren't holding the gun as tight then your wrists aren't absorbing as much of the recoil as normal, which could result in different rates the case is being ejected.

Think of it in 2 ways. First, imagine the gun locked firmly in place by some kind of shooting rest. When fired, only one thing can happen, the slide goes straight backwards and all the force of the slide is pulling back on the ejector.

Now, imagine holding it loosely in your hand and firing. Your arm is going to come back toward you some, as well as your wrist allowing the gun to rotate upward. So all that recoil now isn't just being used to send the slide backwards, some of it is being absorbed by your arms and wrist, which results in less force acting on the slide to eject the case.

May not be your answer, could be ejector related, but just offering observations from my own shooting.

eastenn
01-22-2011, 07:43 AM
One other thing, next time you go to shoot look at your slide and make sure it's clean around the ejection port. If you get a couple that hit you betwixt the eyes, look at the port again and see if there are any brass marks. That would probably tell me that the case isn't getting out of the way fast enough and the slide is hitting it on its way backward and whacking it right toward my face.

jocko
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I think Ripley 16 and Eastern have made two good points also... grip is very important..

cynergyou
01-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. I will consciously try and keep a firm grip. That might help with the occasional erratic ejection. I do wear a ball cap and safety glasses whenever I'm firing a semi auto pistol. If I'm shooting a revolver, I usually just wear the safety glasses.

My K9 is the one semi-auto that I experience the occasional erratic ejected casing. However, it's also the most compact and lightest semi auto that I have, and that might mean that I need to pay extra attention to maintaining a proper grip while shooting it.

Thanks again.

GOOFA
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
The two main reasons for this behavior is we tend at times to lighten our grip during the firing sequence (emptying a full mag) it becomes methodical and we can become somewhat nonchalant. The second reason seems to be the fact that average to inexpensive ammo is just marginally meeting specs, if at all. Weak ammo can cause all sorts of headaches, if you use it to break in a new pistol. Yesterday I shot some Federal Champion 9mm, the first 15 - 20 rounds ejecting normal hitting the ceiling, all of a sudden a few rounds right back in the face below my hat then 10 rounds or so just barely ejecting by six inches or so, then the remaining 15 or so rounds all normal. It was like using +P+ and standard in the same batch or should I say standard and -P- .

PaiN
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I know I'm late too the party... :o
I checked when I cleaned the K9 tonight and there is a small amount of play in the extractor.