PDA

View Full Version : Ammo shelf life

Dietrich
11-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I ran across a very good deal on some self defense ammo two years ago due to a pricing error in a Cabela`s catalogue. I have a two part question.First,if this ammunition is kept clean,dry and at a room temperature of between 68 and 74 degrees,how long will it last?Secondly,in regard to the rounds that you carry in your SD weapon.How long is it safe to carry the same rounds in your gun if they are kept clean,dry and unexposed to extremes in temperature?Does anyone have any expertise in this area?:confused:

Chippawa
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Dietrich from my own experience, I think that your ammo, properly stored as you describe will last for years. I just found about a dozen very old (15-20 years) 9 mm rounds. I shot them a few days ago at the range without any problems. They didn't look pretty--tarnished and slightly corroded but they worked. I have frequently shot old .22 ammo.
On another note, I have been reloading some of my 9mm with some old powder--from about 1990 without any problems. The manufacture states that if it does not have an acid smell that it is probably OK.
As to your 2nd question, I feel the same way. They will last for years.
This is just my unqualified opinion. Your results my vary.
I would not stand down range of anyone firing or trying to fire very old ammo.

hoot
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I ran across a very good deal on some self defense ammo two years ago due to a pricing error in a Cabela`s catalogue. I have a two part question.First,if this ammunition is kept clean,dry and at a room temperature of between 68 and 74 degrees,how long will it last?Secondly,in regard to the rounds that you carry in your SD weapon.How long is it safe to carry the same rounds in your gun if they are kept clean,dry and unexposed to extremes in temperature?Does anyone have any expertise in this area?:confused:
I have some .22 LR Remington (Dupont) Hi Speed "Kleanbore" Golden Bullet and some Peters (DuPont) Golden Bullet that I shot with my Dad when I was 14. I paid .63 for a box of 50. I am 58 now. Went out and shot it. Functioned 100% actually better than the mass produced .22 LR you see now where you will get a FTF due to a primer rim strike but no bang.
I also have some Federal Super Magnum 12 ga rounds that I bought over 25 years ago. Stored in an upper shelf in a bedroom closet. Shot them a few weeks ago and what a kick. (recoil I mean) Beat me up!

Raoul
11-10-2009, 04:38 AM
I recently shot a box of Remington Golden .22lr that was about 20 years old. Except for a few duds I had no problem. It looks like the general consensus of folks I know who have lots of stored ammo, is that if the ammo is stored properly and there is no evidence of abuse or decomposition it should be ok.
I have heard some reports that some old ammo has been "hotter" than similar new ammo.

steve666
11-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Just last year I used up some Smith & Wesson .38 ammo that I purchassed in 1975. It shot fine at the range. I also have some 7.62 NATO from the '60's that was sealed in 250 round plastic "battle packs" that I've been using for the last 15 years. That said, I wouldn't want to trust my life to anything but "fresh" ammo, so I change my carry ammo every 6 months and buy new at least once a year.

ltxi
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Quality ammo has a shelf life of forever.

luka
11-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Age Means Nothing, Just Do Not Use for Self Defense.:rain:

Raoul
11-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Hmm, sounds like you're describing me...:D

500KV
11-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Quality ammo has a shelf life of forever.

Have to agree with lt here.

I still have, and shoot, some WWll military 30-06 and.45 ammo that I bought back in the '50s.
No problems with it at all.
Also found a few rounds of the old corrosive primer 30-06 stuff while rummaging around one day. May be WWl vintage, who knows?

I store my primers in .50cal ammo boxes and really don't think they'll ever go bad. Some have a $5.75/1000 price tag on them. (Ah the good old days).
When I was "in", we were still shooting WWll 8 round "clips" in M1s and eating WWll C-rations.
If that ain't dating myself, I don't know what would...

ltxi
11-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Hmm, sounds like you're describing me...:D

Same reaction I had.