PDA

View Full Version : Replacement barrel - frunstration / diappointment ..

wagon
11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
.. is only an understatement. I am speechless, and my wife asked me "did you really buy it new?"

Fast forward from sending the barrel to Kahr for plating/hairline cracks issue, I received the replacement barrel in about 2 weeks (total cycle-time) - not bad. During the time I have had good response and communication from Kahr - that's good. I also have make my point on e-mail that "I can wait, am in no rush, just return me with a DEFECT FREE barrel" -- should be a crystal clear message.

What I received on Saturday is new-looking barrel, however:
* it came with a sharp burr in the oval cut out, it is in the path of the slide stop. (OK .. I said, wtf, I went ahead to deburr it with 0000 steel wool, smooth as silk.) see pixs.

* then the barrel refused to move all the way back . WTF... ..found that apparently the feed ramp is TOO LONG and it does not clear the plastic in front of the trigger spring. How can a PM9 barrel does not fit a PM9? The other 3" barrel is MK9, did they send me a MK9 barrel? By mistake? or By choice? If by choice, wouldn;t they know the barrel spec MIGHT NOT be identical between PM9 and MK9? Update Nov 9th 11 am PDST: with valuable feedback from Deadhead, LDM and Singalestack, we identified that this problem is related to the oversize of the barrel hood which prevents the barrel to be seated properly with the slide. Since it does not seated low (or high) enough onto the slide, the feed ramp is caught by the plastic-piece in the frame preventing it to conti nue the travel.

This is clear evidence of lack of QA. WORSE... this is supposedly a QUALITY REPLACEMENT ... (another member received bad barrels 2 in a row .. and still have issue.) One member suggested that the plating issue has caught attention from senior management, you would think these quality rerurn cases would be "handle with care"? No, siree, it is more like "who fvcking cares?"

I don't want to say anymore, or people might say I'm here trashing Kahr just for trashing sake. In fact I am not, in fact I do intend to rely on Kahr product to protect my life with, however the way they handle quality return and replacement is very poor and inexcusable. I am writing a note to Mr Wada, Mr Moik and Mr Harris.

(except for employees of Kahr Arms, speculative excuses made on their behalf needs not apply, coz I prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth.)

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture75-pm9-barrel-bur-1.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture76-pm9-barrel-bur-2.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture77-pm9-barrel-ramp-1.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture78-pm9-barrel-ramp-stuck.jpg

Singlestack_9mm
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Wow. The circular machine mark above the slide stop hole dose not look right. None of my 3 barrels had that. Keep us informed.

wagon
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Tks for pointing out, Singlestack, do you have a PM9 too, can you be kind enough to post a pix on the right side of your barrel for comparison purpose?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, something catch my attention. Below is S x S between the original barrel and the replaced barrel, clearly the original did not have the guide-rode cut. Another marvelous example of lack of QA and consistency in their machining and inspection process. Million dollar question: How could something this obvious be missed by the operator / assembler during the assembly process.. ...????

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture61-discoloration.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture81-pm9-barrel-guide-rod-recess.jpg

Wow. The circular machine mark above the slide stop hole dose not look right. None of my 3 barrels had that. Keep us informed.

Singlestack_9mm
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4715.jpg
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu174/cortty1/IMG_4717.jpg

wagon
11-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the pix, Singlestack. Are your barrels (or your PM9) of relatively recent production? I will refer them to see this thredd, let's see if Kahr would say mine is the "new design" or not. (i.e. a "feature" not a "bug" as used the I.T. world)

But looks to me someone could be dozing off and made an extra pass (or incomplete cut) ... shouldn't this be done by CNC lathe? Would not be a manual lathe, right?

I just took another pixs on this "super cut", I try to mimic your shot angle for better comparison purpose.

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture82-pm9-barrel-right-2.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture79-pm9-barrel-right.jpg

Singlestack_9mm
11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
These 2 are pm9 barrels I recieved within the last month. Both have plating problems and are going back to kahr.

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Ok. My turn now. :(

I received my "new" barrel on Saturday. The old peeling barrel was received Oct 22--about a 2 week turn around.

Ok. Right off the bat, I noticed a different finish. The barrel was very dull silver, and the feed ramp was mirror shiny polished. The old barrel looked all the same finish. The new barrel has a small hole-crater in the side about half-way down. I don't think this will be a safety issue.

Ok, the bad part. My barrel would NOT FIT in the slide. In my case the feed ramp was ok, but the top chamber (the portion above the area that has 9 x 19) was too long and would not fit in between the opening in the top of the slide.

I finally jammed it in there, but I had to take 2 thumbs to pry it back out. Once I got it in, the slide would not slide back because in order for the slide to move back, the barrel has to move too. The barrel was lodged in between the opening in the top of the slide.

After fiddleing with it for 30 minutes and sling shotting the slide, it loosened up, but the barrel is a very tight fit in the slide. I have to pry it out.

The old barrel was loose and slid right in place.

I am going to go shooting Wednesday and shoot at least 150 rounds to see if it loosens up or if I have any jams.

:(

mr.72
11-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Wow. This is very worrisome. As I understand it, the feed ramp length has changed at some point, but I can't cite a specific reference to when or why, just vague recollection.

LDM
11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Deadhead, et al, got my replacement (#3) the end of last week. Wife had shoulder surgery Wed. so time is scarce right now. Got a chance to look things over Sat. PM.

Same problem as covered above.

The hood length to slide is the issue. Look very closely at the fit of the barrel to the opening in the slide and you'll see it it is not seating all the way. That holds the barrel down to far. Mine looked just like Wagon's slide at first, not going far enough back (and the ramp does extend so far down the slide would not go on because the barrel is not seating). Started looking at thefit of the barrel to the slide and saw the hood length issue.

I decided to address this myself, but that's your call. A gunsmith could handle this in a few minutes.

I used honing stones (don't even think about a file, and don't even whisper the word Dremel!) and polished the top front and top back of the hood and just a smidgin of the sides. Hone very little and try the fit, repeat as necessary. Go slow. Repeat: GO SLOW! Do not get in a hurry. It should not be a force fit. The interference is so slight it may be within the specs of the plating. I have the DLC slide and I wonder if it would go right in a stainless slide. Its just that small an amount of interference.

Obviously none of us got a drop-in barrel. And we should not have to be doing this ourselves. And I should be rich instead of just good-looking.

I will try to post pictures but gotta go now. Good luck.

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Yes, the hood length is too long for the slide opening. I racked and sling-shotted the slide about 50 times until my thumb became raw. The hood did loosen up.

I did use a file gently on back portion of the hood. I can't tell it did anything. It's still snug.

The problem appears to be the top front portion of the hood. That's where the wear/scratching is the most--both on the barrel and on the inside of the slide.

I am not going to do anything more until I shoot it. I think it will loosen up some more after shooting.

LDM
11-09-2009, 07:37 AM
I had to work on the top front of the barrel hood more than the rear top and rear sides.

Watch out for the barrel crashing down onto the the top of the extractor. With the friction fit, when it breaks free it comes down hard and may ding the top of the extractor. While I was troubleshooting (i.e. trying to figure what the heck was going on) I observed this on mine.

When I do get to the range (and that may be a while) I plan on using full power practice ammo like Speer Lawman 124gr. FMJ. That stuff is stout.

Stay safe, good luck.

500KV
11-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Wow. This is very worrisome. As I understand it, the feed ramp length has changed at some point, but I can't cite a specific reference to when or why, just vague recollection.

As I recall, the feed ramp on someone's gun was hitting the magazine follower and had to be shortened.

What about the "hole-crater", deadhead.
Is it on the rounded part of the barrel?
That's definitely a concern isn't it?

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Watch out for the barrel crashing down onto the the top of the extractor. With the friction fit, when it breaks free it comes down hard and may ding the top of the extractor.

Thanks. I did notice my extractor had been dinged because it was shiny on top.

wagon
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
LDM / Deadhead, you're right..... I THOUGHT I COULD fit the barrel in the slide, but after reading your messages I reassemble it again and indeed it doesn't seat "properly". With the guide-rod removed I tried to push it down and I could hear a faint click.

Pix below are taken afterward, it still doesn't seem to be fully seated. I tried but still unable to make it seat lower (me no strong thumbs), even as it is I had to punch it out from the slide. "Tight tolerance" my arse.

I did notice the dull finish too, but I was not 100% sure coz I have nothing to come with, nor had I enough "quality time" with the original barrel to be sure of the differrence.

I am not going to play machinist coz I am not one. I will wait for their response, I did tell them I want to return the whole gun to them for guaranteed fitment.

This is another ridiculous side of the story, we owners are to play QA, and Machinist to final fit? May be we are SUPPOSED to buff shine it too?????

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture84-pm9-slide-assembled-side.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture85-pm9-slide-assembled-front.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture86-pm9-slide-assembled-rear.jpg

Singlestack_9mm
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Something is very wrong here. I've had 3 replacment barrels in the last month. All have been drop fit. If these barrels are that tight IMHO you are going to have slide and barrel peening problems. I woudn't shoot them untill contacting kahr. Peening has been a real issue in the past for pm9s. You shoudn't have to file any part of that barrel to make it fit.

LDM
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Wagon, your photos are excellent and tell the story.

Everyone should do what they think is best about this and what they are comfortable with: i.e. honing the interference surfaces vs. sending to Kahr.

I will admit that convenience played a big part in my decision. Example by extreme, if Kahr was across the street I'd take it to them. As it was, I was comfortable doing this as I had done things like this before. And I thought it would be easier than sending it back. I called Kahr this morning and discussed what I did with them. They were fine with what I had done and said if I had any problems to call.

I come from 1911's and if you took a box of 1911 parts from one of the best (e.g. Brown, Wilson, Baer, etc.) there would still likely need to be some fitting. I will say I learned the hard way to work slow, do a little at a time, and try the fit often. A medium & fine hone stone used in this manner won't fix it fast but will get you there.

Last caveat is that I will wring this weapon out on the range before I trust it for defense. Just not sure right now when I'll get that chance.

Stay safe and good luck.

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
LDM-

My concern is the extractor now that you brought that up. Do you think that the filing /honing will keep the extractor from being hit?

I will have to look at this later and make a decision. My barrel is not as bad as Wagon's (but still tight) so I am leaning towards working with it.

Where's Jocko?

wagon
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM
LDM, I honestly envy and admire poeple like yourself who owns the skills and experience on metal works (especially on gun metal), I really am gun-shy in this area and don't want to muck it up any further as it is....

I still like how it shoots and the ergo of the PM9, I want it to be a keeper. Fortunately time is on my side (at least, this time) and I wanted it get fixed by them professionals in Kahr... after all, upon it's return back to me, it still donlt got to see the street until after another 200 rounds ... or even more, in case of ... .. let's not go there, just too depressing for a Monday morning.

jocko
11-09-2009, 11:00 AM
wagon: It needs to go back. call kahr and have them issue a pickup on the entire gun That replacement barrel should drop right in. Something is out of specs.A shame but I would not advise doing any filing in this situation either..

deadhead, if ur barrel is locking up ok, just IMO shoot it some more and it will shoot in OI, I again would not file on it or even advise where to file on it. You can't replace what is ever filed off. If the gun is functioning OK, then to me more rounds down range will shoot the gun in with no issues. Again, just greasing the rails and sitting there and hand racking about 500 times might help some what ...

mr.72
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I think this may point out the perils of sending back just the barrel and re-fitting it yourself. Obviously removal of the barrel is common for cleaning so it's not as if putting in a new barrel requires a factory gun smith. But dealing with one that doesn't fit right is a whole different story and it'd be much better if Kahr had the gun in their shop to see this.

I doubt it is a tolerance issue, or at least I certainly hope that the Kahr tolerances are not such that you can wind up with a barrel that has to have the hood honed in order for it to fit. I wonder if there was not some kind of dimension/design change that happened at some point?

BTW my first barrel in my CW9 was the dull type of finish matching the slide. The second two have had the nickel-shiny-beaded finish. I preferred the slide-matching finish. Also the stamping/writing on the barrel hood that said "9x19" were different on the first barrel vs. the second two. However they all fit. The first barrel exhibited some very mild peening, I honed it, and then wound up polishing the barrel hood so it would all match and it seemed that the barrel did not have any noticeable plating. Recent discussions that suggest that all Kahr barrels have had nickel plating make me think something is amiss. There was a definite difference in surface plating between my first barrel and the other two. I am betting there is a different manufacturer or vendor of the barrels.

LDM
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Deadhead, when the weapon is fully assembled and is fired, the barrel pivots down upon firing, and the slide is moving back at the same time clearing past the extractor. If the weapon was assembled, you could slowly pull back the slide and see this motion.

Of course, right now the interference is probably preventing you from even assembling the weapon.

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
LDM--I know you have not fired it yet, but have you honed it to where it is an acceptable fit and not dinging the extractor? Does it drop in?

I just got a 80/60 honing stone.

jocko
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Mr.72, we have learned that only the chamber and the feed ramp is supposedly plated, not the whole barrel.

(This is just to clarify any confusion which might have brought to you by our past and present discussion on this topic).

kahr barrels are nickel plated throughout, in and out..

wagon
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
OMG ... so it is ME who is confused. :eek: (I went ahead to delete my post .. damage control)

... so the dull-looking grayish color surface which we see from the replaced barrels is the Ni layer?

kahr barrels are nickel plated throughout, in and out..

jocko
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
OMG ... so it is ME who is confused. :eek: (I went ahead to delete my post .. damage control)

... so the dull-looking grayish color surface which we see from the replaced barrels is the Ni layer?

about that finish. I do know nickel finish comes in different finishs. Mine was gray in color and I just polished the hell out ofit with my dremel. The entire barrel shines like a diamond in a goats a-s:p

LDM
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Deadhead asks "honed it to where it is an acceptable fit and not dinging the extractor".

Yes.

It did not require much material be removed. It looks more like it was smoothed and polished, which in a sense honing is, rather than filed or machined. I honed it with stones and then polished with 600 grit.

The fit should be free and such the weigh of the barrel itself will unlock if you lightly tap it or jar the slide.

Once assembled, pulling back on the slide unlocks the barrel, the barrel rotates out of battery and downward clearing the hood of the slide, and the rear of the barrel hood never travels as far down as the extractor. Remember the Slide Stop is locking the barrel via the lug and the lug cams the barrel.

It is when the barrel is manually placed in the slide and then pops down with force that it will touch the extractor. In testing the fit of the barrel with an unfitted hood, if it gets a forced fit then it takes a whack to break loose. It is then moving down fast and strikes the extractor.

Stay safe, good luck.

deadhead1971
11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks. makes sense.

wagon
11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
After getting with their customer Service on the phone and on e-mail a few times today to work out the details, the PM9 is now in-transit to Kahr, on their tab.

Their Customer Service has been great all along... just too bad that the "other gears" in their operation didn't seem to turn in-sync with the Cust Serv function.

I always like to preach that a business is a machine, it will not function well if just one gear turns out of sync with the rest. I hope that they will get their acts together and approach quality issues with quality mindset. Hope they will get things right from here on out.

I'll post update when available.

deadhead1971
11-10-2009, 08:15 AM
When I first got my barrel, it was a tight fit. After fiddleing with it (racking slide, sling shotting slide ~ 50 times and using a honing stone) it is now a snug fit. This means I can drop in the barrel, and if I lightly push it in, it will get snug in place so I can turn the slide over, and the barrel will not fall out. I have to lightly push to get it out.

I am assuming it will loosen some more after shooting it.

I plan to shoot it tomorrow (minimum 100 rounds) to see if I have problems, and I will post the results first of next week when I get back from a short vacation.

deadhead1971
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Ok folks. Here is an update. See post above about my new barrel.

I went to the indoor range yesterday. I shot 50 rounds of 115 fmj federal and 100 rounds of winchester 115 fmj and about 7 rounds of federal hydra-shok 124 hp and 7 rounds of 124 speer gold dots hp.

I had 0 failures in about 165 rounds. No jams; no nothing.:)

The barrel is still a tad snug. I was shooting at about 20 to 25 feet, and it was hitting dead center point of aim.

One thing I noticed, and this may be my imagination. The barrel was a ***** to clean. I used 3 bore cleaners, and the black fouling and powder would not come off easy. I spent 30 minutes trying to clean the barrel. There is still black residue on the barrel.

For those that get new barrels, please report on your cleaning experiences.

Singlestack_9mm
11-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Ok folks. Here is an update. See post above about my new barrel.

I went to the indoor range yesterday. I shot 50 rounds of 115 fmj federal and 100 rounds of winchester 115 fmj and about 7 rounds of federal hydra-shok 124 hp and 7 rounds of 124 speer gold dots hp.

I had 0 failures in about 165 rounds. No jams; no nothing.:)

The barrel is still a tad snug. I was shooting at about 20 to 25 feet, and it was hitting dead center point of aim.

One thing I noticed, and this may be my imagination. The barrel was a ***** to clean. I used 3 bore cleaners, and the black fouling and powder would not come off easy. I spent 30 minutes trying to clean the barrel. There is still black residue on the barrel.

For those that get new barrels, please report on your cleaning experiences.

Any chamber flaking?

deadhead1971
11-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Any chamber flaking?

I forgot the most important part. There is no flaking as of 165 rounds.

Wayne's World
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Wow ! Thank the Lord and knock-on-wood, I have had no such problems (so-far). 1200 rounds and all is well. BUT, I will be watching. I am a machinest (retired) and would have no problem doing some work on the gun but I don't think it is the responcability of the owner to fine tune a $700 gun. At that price, Kahr should be kissing your ***.

wagon
11-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Update (Nov 19):

It is back in my hands as we speak. No complaint on customer service: reasonable turn around time, kept me informed, etc....

This barrel is nicely polished more like the original barrel, fit is good, it just drops in, no need to force it down.

There is a differecne I noted is the recess cut (where the recoil rod assembly rest on the lug:
* the original barrel is a flat line recess cut across the lug
* the 1st replacement has a curve recess cut on the left side of the lug
* this 2nd replacement is a flat line recess cut just like the original barrel. (User manual says the "circular cut" -- Page 17 right above Photo 7.)

So I am still curious how this recess cut is supposed to be per factory specifications.... if any.

I won't be able to clean it up until later tonight. but, overall, I am pleased with this warranty service experience. I keep my fingers crossed that the new barrel (with the original slide and frame) will function flawlessly as it was in it's first (and the only) range time. I will try to find myself a range time this weekend...

wagon
11-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Update Nov23.

Hit the range today and shot a total of 206 rds, mix bag of PMC. HSM. Federal and WWB.

Like with the original barrel, the PM9 shoots more accurate than I can. Other than 2x slide-open (my thumb), it was a great session - free of drama.

More importantly, no flaking in the chamber -- which was my original complaint with the original barrel after 180 rds -- and to be sure, those 180 rnds were all smooth sailing too, no FTF, no FTE, no jammo, .. except for 1x slide-open (my thumb).

The PM9 is back as my primary CCW (with FMJ), my next session will be some defense loads, they will be in the mag should they all go bang.

Overall, I am pleased and glad that my PM9, now with a new barrel, continues performing flawlessly.

ripley16
11-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Confused :confused:

Posts in this thread concern chrome plating failure and then there's a post claiming barrels are nickle plated. Thses two don't jive. Nickle plating stainless steel makes little sense to me. Can someone straighten me out?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread because I have a new, 2009 K9, and it's become pretty obvious that Kahr had a QC problem with a batch of barrels. Something went wrong with the vendor's production process. So far I've seen no problems with the K9 though.

jocko
11-24-2009, 07:42 AM
I have been told that the nickel plating process is in the thousands of thickness and the nickel process actualys seals the pores in metals (stainless also) and gives it more durability even.

I know when the M9 Beretta was tested by the army, that one of the things they had to do was also nickel plate their barrels to continue on with testing. It is a more expensive process to do also. It is not chrome plated but nickel plated. even stainless can rust to some extent as stainless proprities is also "iron". Lately we have not heard of any more issues with the kahr barrels, so lets assume they have the issue solved. they have been nickel palting their barrels since the first day they made guns, so this is not a pandemic thing at all. I was told it was vendor related and that they have the problem resolved... No doubt there are some barrels out their that was in this batch of bad barrels and they will in time show up. kahr has stated that they will fully replace any flaking barrel..

wagon
11-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I think it was just an unintentional mixed up between Cr and Ni plating between posts and between threads (there is another thread which leads to mine).

According to those "in the know", I understand that it is Ni plating, not Cr.

Confused :confused:

Posts in this thread concern chrome plating failure and then there's a post claiming barrels are nickle plated. Thses two don't jive. Nickle plating stainless steel makes little sense to me. Can someone straighten me out?

I've been keeping an eye on this thread because I have a new, 2009 K9, and it's become pretty obvious that Kahr had a QC problem with a batch of barrels. Something went wrong with the vendor's production process. So far I've seen no problems with the K9 though.

deadhead1971
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
So far I've seen no problems with the K9 though

The only barrel issues (flaking) that I am aware of are with the PM9.

jocko
11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I think ur right deadhead...

zeitgeist
12-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Kahr makes a nice gun when they actually get it right.

It seems far too many products come from the factory with factory defects. They really need to get their act together in this regard. Especially at the Kahr price point.

I've had my own issues with Kahr. I ordered wood grips and they sent me screws that won't even work. I've begun to question if they should even be in the business of building deadly weapons with the kind of QA they have.

jocko
12-25-2009, 04:30 PM
aw, come on now, wrong screws, for grips, and u think they should not be building guns. Wow. carrying that alittle to far IMO.

xzhync
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Tks for pointing out, Singlestack, do you have a PM9 too, can you be kind enough to post a pix on the right side of your barrel for comparison purpose?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, something catch my attention. Below is S x S between the original barrel and the replaced barrel, clearly the original did not have the guide-rode cut. Another marvelous example of lack of QA and consistency in their machining and inspection process. Million dollar question: How could something this obvious be missed by the operator / assembler during the assembly process.. ...????

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture61-discoloration.jpg

http://kahrtalk.com/members/wagon-albums-wagon-album-picture81-pm9-barrel-guide-rod-recess.jpg

To those in the know, I am wondering about the recess cut in the barrel lug. I just purchased a new PM9 and mine doesn't have the circular cut. Mine has a straight line cut. In reading this thread, it looks like the barrels come both ways. Are the barrels with the straight cut defective? Later in this thread someone mentioned that their first and third barrels have straight cuts, but the second barrel has a circular cut. I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this. I haven't shot the pistol yet. I don't want to shoot it if I have a problem. Help and advice would be appreciated!!!!!!

jocko
01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
mine is straight cut, don't worry about it. the recoil lug just sits flush against that barrel lug.. Ihave thousands of rounds out of my PM9.Round cut or straight cut, they both will function correctly

xzhync
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks Jocko. I was hoping you would see my post. In familiarizing myself with this forum I gather that you have a good deal of knowledge and experience with the Kahr's. Thanks again!!!!

wagon
01-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Only Kahr can give us a definitive answer the question, if they would answer this question.

Obviously, me for one (may be I'm the one and the only one) got luck out to receive barrels of supposedly the "current version" with both cut. Per User Manual, the cut is supposedly to serve as an index where the guide rod should be seated.

My PM9 have had gone thru a total of 3 barrels, 1st (original) has a straight cut. 2nd has a circular, 3rd (now in my PM9) has a straight cut. The 2nd barrel had NEVER been fired, it was returned straight back to Kahr for other issues".

Can we say 66% of the barrels ahve starigth cut? May be... but that's only based on one single data point :D

But the "best" news is: both 1st and the 3rd barrels have straight cut, and both function perfectly -- so far after <500 rounds .

So may be we should not sweat on how the cut was made as long as it goes bang.

If you need definitive answer (on Kahr's spec), you need to call them up.... and pls report back if you do get answer to this question, curious minds like to know, too.

Stay safe, enjoy your new PM9, and wish you a very Happy New Year!

To those in the know, I am wondering about the recess cut in the barrel lug. I just purchased a new PM9 and mine doesn't have the circular cut. Mine has a straight line cut. In reading this thread, it looks like the barrels come both ways. Are the barrels with the straight cut defective? Later in this thread someone mentioned that their first and third barrels have straight cuts, but the second barrel has a circular cut. I would really appreciate if someone could shed some light on this. I haven't shot the pistol yet. I don't want to shoot it if I have a problem. Help and advice would be appreciated!!!!!!

jocko
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I do think the later (newer) barrelsl are now straight cut. Why they made this change I cannot say but I can guess. In the last few years kahr has went to the recoil assembly with that washer that fits against the barrel lug to 1/2" in diameter where as in the earlier models, that recoil lug (washer) was 3/8" and I would guses that maybe back then that recess was there as maybe their design people thouught it should be and today, they have found out that it is not needed. Justmy SWAG on this.