PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Primers

Dietrich
01-25-2011, 06:03 AM
I have been reading [on another forum] that people have issues with Winchester Large Pistol primers. We`ve just moved into a new house,I have gotten my press set up and ready to go and guess what kind of large pistol primers I`ve got.Yep,4,000 of `em.Have any of you guys had problems with Winchester or was this just one of those bash a particular product threads? I want to start reloading for my .45 but I don`t want to start with one strike against me.I usually buy Federal primers or CCI but I figured Winchester was a good brand name and could be counted on.Thanks for your input.

500KV
01-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Hey Dietrich.
I load quite a few Win. primers; in fact, some I've had for years (still got the $13.95 pricetag on the box). Yeah pretty old.
I have never had any problem at all with Win. primers although the last I bought were Federal.
They are somewhat softer and I've found work better in striker fired Kahrs.
I use both Lg and Sm Win. rifle and pistol with no issues so far.
Good luck and "git to loadin'".;);)

Dietrich
01-25-2011, 06:36 AM
My Glock 36 is also striker fired.I wonder...

500KV
01-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Don't worry about that G36 Dietrich.
It'll shoot anything you feed it. At least mine does.
For some reason Glocks don't seem to be ammo sensitive.
Now I'll probably get called on that cause somewhere, someone has had a problem with a Glock. :D

Dietrich
01-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Don't worry about that G36 Dietrich.
It'll shoot anything you feed it. At least mine does.
For some reason Glocks don't seem to be ammo sensitive.
Now I'll probably get called on that cause somewhere, someone has had a problem with a Glock. :D
Most likely. It seems that there are no absolutes on gun forums.

100percent
01-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Winchester primers are fine by me. Federals work good if you have a problem with light strikes. My Kahr and Glock are fine with any brand that I have tried. I have a Keltec handgun that doesn't do as well with Winchester or Magtec so I load his ammo with Federals. I bought some wolf primers once. The large pistol primers were fine but the small seemed to give me some misfires.

Bawanna
01-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I've been using Winchester primers exclusively for the last couple years. I just bought a 1000 of each last weekend. I've never had a problem with them.

I used to use CCI's all the time. Can't remember why I even switched. I like the way the trays work in the ones I just got, not have to mess around loading them into the tube or the hand primer.

AS already stated that 36 won't care what primer you use. It'll make noise with any of them.

recoilguy
01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I used CCI for the entire year last year and got Winchester last time out, 1000 of them last weekend. Only shot 25 of them so far to test them in my recipies but they seemed to work very nicely.

Good luck!

RCG

Tilos
01-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Dietrich:
I can understand your concern with those primers.
If you send them to me, I'll test them all for you:rolleyes:.

I don't have a G36, so send that too.
just sayin'
Tilos

Dietrich
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Dietrich:
I can understand your concern with those primers.
If you send them to me, I'll test them all for you:rolleye

I don't have a G36, so send that too.
just sayin'
Tilos
What a pal ! WHAT A PAL !!! Seriously guys,thanks for your input.I figured that Winchester had too good a name to put crummy products out there.Just needed a little backup from my troops.