PDA

View Full Version : Changed to a turret press

MW surveyor
01-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Got a new turret press last weekend but did not get to install it until Tuesday. Since set up, have loaded 150 rounds of 9 mm and 150 rounds of 38 spl. This is the greatest thing since the invention of the internet (bet you thought I was going to say sliced bread:p).

Waaay faster than my single stage by a factor of about 4 (at least). Still check the powder drop though and also weigh about every 25 rounds after the inital set up.

In any event, will be going out either later today or tomorrow to shoot the newly reloaded rounds out of the CW9 (the CW9 has only had 75 rounds of factory, the remaining 500 have been my handloads). Haven't been able to shoot it for the last two months.

If anyone is interested in getting a turret press, I can recommend that they are good for reloading a lot of hand gun ammo quickly. Ok not as quick as a progressive, but I still want to have some control over the process rather than keeping up with the resupply of primers, powder and bullets.

Bawanna
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Thats great. I stayed with a single stage for way too many years because I wanted to control each step as well. I finally graduated to a progressive but it still allows me to pull at any stage and double check stuff.

It's taken me awhile to get it dialed in just right, mostly cause I'm to picky I think but I think I've got it now. Plan to try my second batch out this weekend. Had some issues with OAL on the first batch.

It sure is fast though, like you say, just gotta keep up with primers mostly and bullets dissapear pretty quick too.

What brand did you go with?

100percent
01-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Surveyor, Nice, I would like a turret press. I have 3 progressive presses and 4 single stage. I took out the depriming/resizing/priming stages from my progressives as I could not get them to work with 100% reliability. I flare, add powder and load bullet with my progressives. It allows some increase in speed and I can maintain a high level of reliability. I think the turret would do the same thing. I have two houses and want to have the redundancy of being able to reload no matter my location.

Report back on your outing.

MW surveyor
01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Bawanna45cal
Got the Lee Classic cast turret. Works very well with no issues (yet). Really thought about the progressives but I enjoy getting out of the house now and then. Time to load 100 rounds is less than 30 minutes for me. Just for laughs, I timed 10 rounds at 2 min and 47 seconds. That works out to 16.7 seconds per round. It also includes diggin out some more cases and bullets and test wieghing the 5th round. So fast enough for me.

100percent
Wow and you want to get another reloading press? Not sure if you can put a bullet and case feed on a turret. I'm OK with handling the cases and the bullets. As I look over the bullets before I set them.

All 150 9mm went bang and was able to keep them in a 4" group with my CW9. Of course the CZ kept them all within a 3" group and tightened up to 2" for the last 20 rounds. Haven't shot either of these two guns for over 2 months. Will be shooting the SP101 next week.

Off to put the used 9 mm in the tumbler!