PDA

View Full Version : Kahr newbie from KC...

BigD
11-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey guys just thought I would post up a hello!

I have been lurking for the past few weeks, pending the arrival of my barely used PM9 (DLC with night sights). I got it tonight and decided to join up. I tend to lurk more then post but figured I should say hello!

I picked it up tonight from my dealer, very impressed with it to say the least! I got it to round out my CCW options. Once broken in and proven I will add it into the stable of a Kel-Tec P3AT, Glock 27, and a Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB. The PM9 fits in perfectly!

I didn't get the box or spent shell casing, and according to the serial number list my range is in 2006. (VC47xx) Judging from the condition of it I would say it couldn't have had more then a single box of rounds put through it! Must have been a safe queen! :)

I broke it down and detail stripped it. Cleaned and lubed it per the chart, then hand racked it about 150 times (my fingers hurt ha!). I can't wait to go shoot it, but time is very limited at the moment, hopefully soon.

I went ahead and ordered an IWB for it while I was waiting. For this one I wanted it to just be small and simple and not have to wait a year! I currently have and love a High Noon Holsters Tailgunner for the glock and decided to try out one of their cheaper "stocking item" holsters, so I ordered up a Mister Softy for it. I have to say it fits the bill I was looking for to a T! Simply disappears in the waist band! I will probably pick up a pocket holster of some type also. I like options! ;)

All in all this little pistol seems to be a fantastic package! I need to pickup at least one more 6 round mag. I have to say I don't care for the 7 rounder at all, but that's just my opinion. Also need to figure out a rubber grip wrap for it as well..

Whew sorry, that got longer then I expected! In short, hello! :)

DustyJacket
11-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Welcome.

The PM9 looks like a nice package.

When I was buying, you could not find one in KC, so I ended up with a 2009 PM40 instead.

Glad you found one.

Dietrich
11-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Hello and welcome to Kahrtalk,where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

Raoul
11-10-2009, 04:42 AM
Welcome BigD. You'll like that PM. Have a Gates BQ for me sometime.

RevDerb
11-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Welcome, BigD. I'm sure that you'll love the PM9. I did mine and still can't figure out why I sold it. :confused: Please don't just lurk. We need members to communicate with. ;)

zena
11-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Welcome BigD and I second RevDerb's sentiment....Don't lurk. Talk to us. The mix is what makes it fun. You're going to find a lot of happy Kahr owners, good info and new friends. :boink: (I use lots of smilies!)

hoot
11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey guys just thought I would post up a hello!

I have been lurking for the past few weeks, pending the arrival of my barely used PM9 (DLC with night sights). I got it tonight and decided to join up. I tend to lurk more then post but figured I should say hello!

I picked it up tonight from my dealer, very impressed with it to say the least! I got it to round out my CCW options. Once broken in and proven I will add it into the stable of a Kel-Tec P3AT, Glock 27, and a Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB. The PM9 fits in perfectly!

I didn't get the box or spent shell casing, and according to the serial number list my range is in 2006. (VC47xx) Judging from the condition of it I would say it couldn't have had more then a single box of rounds put through it! Must have been a safe queen! :)

I broke it down and detail stripped it. Cleaned and lubed it per the chart, then hand racked it about 150 times (my fingers hurt ha!). I can't wait to go shoot it, but time is very limited at the moment, hopefully soon.

I went ahead and ordered an IWB for it while I was waiting. For this one I wanted it to just be small and simple and not have to wait a year! I currently have and love a High Noon Holsters Tailgunner for the glock and decided to try out one of their cheaper "stocking item" holsters, so I ordered up a Mister Softy for it. I have to say it fits the bill I was looking for to a T! Simply disappears in the waist band! I will probably pick up a pocket holster of some type also. I like options! ;)

All in all this little pistol seems to be a fantastic package! I need to pickup at least one more 6 round mag. I have to say I don't care for the 7 rounder at all, but that's just my opinion. Also need to figure out a rubber grip wrap for it as well..

Whew sorry, that got longer then I expected! In short, hello! :)
Hello to you Big D,
I put on the Pierce grip extensions and I really like them. I don't like the 7 round mags either. I got an Alessi IWB holster and it is sweet. stay away from Winchester White box (per a technician at Kahr) but it will fire any good American Brass. I have +1000 rounds at 100% performance. I trust my little buddy. I don't have rubber grips and I don't feel it needs them. I have a Desantis Nemesis and a Galco pocket holster . Both work fine. I haven't tried the Super Fly yet. I hear it sticks to the inside of the pocket better. Have fun...

BigD
11-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Well thanks for the welcomes!!

This one made its way to me from Las Vegas Dusty, to be honest I didn't even look for one locally, this one found me so to speak!

Raoul, how about some Arthur Bryant's, or Oklahoma Joe's instead?? The BBQ at gates is ok, but the service is horrible! Just my opinion but I can't stand being yelled at the minute I walk up! "WHHAATCHOO WANT?!?!" lol just doesn't do it for me!

I'm sure I will mingle some fellas, but usually I don't have much to add! I just read and learn but I am sure some questions etc will come up!

And I can't wait to go shoot this pistol! I might have to just squeeze some time in to make it happen! Hopefully it will run ok for me. I just hope it didn't make it into someones safe to sit due to problems with it. But like I said it's literally in MINT condition! There is no way it's previous owner made it through proper break in according to the manual..

The feed ramp looks like it might need a bit of a polish so I may do that before I make it to the range just to help things along. I didn't have access to the materials when I did the detail strip or I would have went ahead and done it then. But hey just another excuse to spend some more time with it right! :)

wagon
11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the forum, BigD from KC, sounded like you're all set to go packing except for the remaining optional goodies.

I did get myself a Pearce grip and I do like it for OWB/IWB, but if I'm to pocket carry -- which I have no plan to -- I'd get an extra 6 rounder (like you're going to) without a Pearce Grip. I like options, too :D

Have fun during the break-in, You will enjoy the smoooooth trigger no doubt.

Stay safe!

johnatw
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
What did the Tech have against Winchester White Box? Just curious.

Bigcube
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Welcome, lot's of good info here. Happy PM9 owner here

x2, I've ran lot's of that though mine with no problems.

hoot
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Here Is the email:

Good afternoon,

You may use any good American Brass in your pistol. You may want to stay away from Winchester White Box though as that brand has shown to give our pistols problems. Other than that, like I said, any good American Brass. Your pistol is rated for +P ammo. You can use this sparingly for practice shooting to get used to the kick of it but you shouldn't use too much. You should save that ammo for personal protection.

Please feel free to contact me should you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Glen Malo
Kahr Customer Service
130 Goddard Memorial Dr.
Worcester, MA 01603
----- Original Message -----
To: service@kahr.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:08 PM
Subject: Kahr PM9

Hello,
I recently purchased a PM9 and I was wondering if Kahr has a recommendation on the type of 9mm ammunition to use.
There are so many different manufacturers, grain weights, brass vs aluminum case, etc. I saw a Kahr PM9 review on Youtube and they recommend CCI Blazer 115 gr aluminum case JHP.
I have not fired my PM 9 yet and I want to make sure I am using factory recommended ammunition.

Thank you

ltxi
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM

I'm one of the folk Glen got feedback from. Kahrs are not particularly fond of WWB...apparently due to hard/inconsistently hard primers. Skipping the detailed essay....there is nothing wrong with WWB ammo, nor with Kahrs; exactly. The gun design (optimization of miniaturization coupled with production tolerances) does appear to be the primary cause of the marginal incompatibility.

dirksterg30
11-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Welcome to the forum, BigD.

I'm one of the folk Glen got feedback from. Kahrs are not particularly fond of WWB...apparently due to hard/inconsistently hard primers. Skipping the detailed essay....there is nothing wrong with WWB ammo, nor with Kahrs; exactly. The gun design (optimization of miniaturization coupled with production tolerances) does appear to be the primary cause of the marginal incompatibility.

When 9mm ammo was plentiful in the good olde days, I shot WWB more than anything else. Never had any problems in over 2,000 rounds through my Kahr MK9.

ltxi
11-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Should have noted that my comments apply only to current production WWB. Long time user of it and never had an issue before this past year. Also have never had a ftf with any firearm other than Kahrs.....but can trace the inconsistency in primer strike indentation to/through other guns.

BigD
11-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Well guys, I thought I would stop back in tonight to give a first range report on my PM9.

Since I tend to make longer posts then I set out to, I'll sum it up in two words for the 'skimmers' out there: Kick Ass! :D

The longer version:

I managed to squeeze in a range day today! I drove down "to the country" to meet up with my father to go shooting. I was dieing to break-in & prove this PM9 so I could start carrying it! I have been carrrying it around the house to get a feel for it but hadn't gotten to shoot it yet. Plus I also have a brand new Kel-Tec PLR16 I picked up a couple months back that I hadn't got to shoot yet! (on a side note about the PLR, WOW! If you ever get a chance to shoot one they are an awesome firearm!!) Plus my dad had a 22-250 rifle he bought a new scope for and wanted to sight it in. All good reasons to spend what will probably be one of the last true perfect days for shooting till spring here in the midwest!

So I loaded up and drove down to meet him. We made our way to an excellent shooting spot frequented by the locals. We had the place to ourselves and spent quite a bit of time literally having a blast!

First up was the PM9. I had 200 rounds of WWB that was needing to be rotated out. So I took it along with about 15 rounds of random older odd 9mm FMJ rds, and 14 rds of carry ammo. Obviously the recommendation against WWB that was mentioned above had me a bit worried, but I already had it, and it was needing to be used up.

My dad is retaired LEO and we had a great time running through all types of shooting to break this thing in! We did some regular shooting for a few mags to get a feel for the gun and then he ran me through numerous defensive shooting drills which was not only extremely fun to do but eye opening at the same time!! Watching the shows and videos of defensive shooting sure makes it look easy! But by the end of the day I was leaps and bounds improved over where I began! Unfortunately here in the city at the ranges I shoot at, doing drills like we were doing isn't really possible, so I don't get to train for real life scenarios very often!

The PM9 performed flawlessly for all 230 or so rounds!! It was perfect! Very accurate pistol, extremely fun to shoot and 100% reliable! I couldn't have asked for anything better! I'd say about 75% was shot +1 with the 6rd mag. The other 25% was shot at just 6rds due to easier count on double taps during a couple of the drills. All fed and fired perfect, using the slide release for the first round.

Needless to say it was a dirty beast when I cleaned it tonight. And I can definitely say due to the new wear showing on the barrel, this pistol had only been fired a few times prior to me getting it! The matt finish of the barrel now shows some interesting wear marks. The brass was definitely interesting. The biggest majority all have a dent in the case rim varrying from barely noticeable to ruined case. This was a bit of a bummer since I reload but not a huge deal. Also of note is it ejects the cases in total randomness! To the right, to the front, to the left, off my hat etc etc! Pretty surprising!

I definitely feel good about this gun! Getting used to the trigger took a little while. I am of the semi-auto generation and don't shoot revolvers very much so the long trigger pull was a change for me. A few mags into it I was good to go though.

The Kel-Tec was unreal! A total blast to shoot! Extremely loud even with muffs on and the recoil was just intense! Not painful recoil just the feel of the gun in its action really let you feel like you were laying down some heat! :) Grin factor = 1000% Highly recommended!

The 22-250 only took about 12rds or so to get it right on target for the range he will be varmint hunting for and was pretty impressive in its own right. I had never shot this rifle yet. It was a NEF Handi-rifle single shot.

All in all a great day at the range! 60+ degrees, overcast, zero wind, perfect!

Well thanks for reading along, sorry for the long windedness!

Colossal Uprising
11-27-2009, 09:04 AM
good to see some folks from KC area here. I am in Sedalia.

Ol'coot
11-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Welome BigD, you will love the PM9 as I do mine, and join right in as there are a great bunch of people here

gunmut
11-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Is it possible that the comment about WWB is due the fact that is some of the lowest cost ammo you can buy, and a lot of us shoot more of it than anything else......if you looked at the % of problems with WWB I would bet is is no larger than any other brand of ammo.

MisterAnderson
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome, I'm in KCMO as well (LSMO).:D

DustyJacket
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
I am in Lees Summit as well.

My PM9 has been great - not a huccup.

BigD
12-03-2009, 10:10 PM
*waves to the local fellas*

I'm actually in Independence..

Where do you guys shoot at? Unfortunately life has been pretty hectic for me over the last couple years so I haven't got out to shoot very often. But before that I shot out at Armsmart (crossfire range) fairly regularly..

Otherwise I go down in KS to with my father and shoot with him.

DustyJacket
12-05-2009, 06:25 AM
I am forced to shoot at Crossfire and Lake City, because the range I belong to (Lake Lotawana) was shut down in March and still has not re-opened.