PDA

View Full Version : Sharp edges on CW 9 mags

mikey z
01-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Hello all ! Well after 4 months of exhaustive research I finally bought my first Kahr. Got the CW 9 at the local gun show and the price as right. Went to the range today and shot 250 flawless rounds. Love the trigger and recoil was minimal. This will definitely be my CCW down here in sunny Florida. Here's my only issue....from the first magazine to the last... I absolutely tore up the tips of my fingers while loading the mags. Never before have I had this issue...I have 3 gashes across the tips of my fingers and almost stopped after 100 rounds but figured the springs would ease up after 300 to 400 rounds. Any advice on how to smooth the sharp edges around the feed lips ???? I guess they're stainless steel and have had 2 suggestions....emery cloth and 000 steel wool. I am not the most tech savvy guy around..as a matter of fact they call me "Tom Thumbless" so I don't want to screw up my brand new weapon. Any suggestions??

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Did you see/try/follow Jocko's prep list? (sticky in the tech section)

See also:
http://www.amazon.com/BTLR-CRK-MAGLULA-UNIVERSAL-9MM-45ACP/dp/B002G1M0CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296190078&sr=8-1

aray
01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
See also:
http://www.amazon.com/BTLR-CRK-MAGLULA-UNIVERSAL-9MM-45ACP/dp/B002G1M0CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296190078&sr=8-1

What do people think about that this magazine loader? My CW9 mags are not too bad, but my Beretta and Uzi mags can be a royal pain, especially the Uzi with its 32 round capacity. But if I had it I'd probably use it for the CW9 too.

Anyone have practical experience with this?

Thanks.

Bawanna
01-27-2011, 11:10 PM
I don't own one but there was quite an extensive thread about them here quite awhile back.
Nobody had anything bad to say about them and many here ordered them.
I think Wyn has at least one and maybe more. I know there was a wish to have a mini version of the same loader.
I meant to get one but never got around to it. I'll see if I can find a link to the previous thread.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=693&highlight=uplula

Guess it was Dietrich that kicked it off.

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-28-2011, 06:47 AM
What do people think about that this magazine loader? My CW9 mags are not too bad, but my Beretta and Uzi mags can be a royal pain, especially the Uzi with its 32 round capacity. But if I had it I'd probably use it for the CW9 too.

Thanks.

Have one; love it. If I had to, I'd pay double their current price to keep the convenience; glad I don't have to. They're least useful on my Kahr.

jocko
01-28-2011, 06:58 AM
there is no bette rloader than the uplula, I have one and even the large size will load my P380 magazines, . I don't use it much as I don't load 15 rounds very often in my G19 but this is one hell of a loader . buy it..

ripley16
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM
What do people think about that this magazine loader?

Thanks.

The best money ever spent on a shooting accessory... bar none. Loads very fast and easy. Shop around, as a better price may be found. Google Uplula.

Kahrcw9
01-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Yeah these are pretty good. Definitely saves the fingers..

NoJustHappyToSeeYou
01-28-2011, 02:31 PM
So, as you can now readily tell, these totally suck, and everyone totally hates them... :)

aray
01-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Talked me in to it. Will get one.

Thanks much!

OldLincoln
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
BTW, I've found that other brands of mags also cut the finger tips. Even if they initially feel smooth, when I and pushing so hard and sliding the finger along the steel I get cut.

jimbar
01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Personally, I use the HKS speedloader, (about $12),for my CW9. Everytime I looked at my local gunstore, they never had the Uplula for for my gun, and they cost 3 times as much. I bought an HKS for my son's S&W 40, and he likes it too.
There's always options.

aray
02-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm a 9mm kinda guy. (Well unless of course you count my 1862 Springfield Armory 58 caliber rifle from Gettysburg http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2244). :)

After all of the sterling recommendations of the Uplula I just had to go out and pick one up from one of my favorite local gun stores that hadn't seen my business in a while.

Works great on my single stack Kahr CW9 and my double stack Beretta 92FS.

Doesn't seem to work at all however on my double stack IMI Uzi Model A. That's really ironic of course since as it turns out the Uplula is made by an Israeli company! Problem is, the Uzi is the magazine that I most needed it for, since it has the largest capacity, longest spring, and is under the most pressure if you try and load it full. It's just too much for my thumb.

I fired an email off to the company to see if they have another product/model that will work.

I'll keep the Uplula even so. For the two handguns I mentioned ya'll were spot on - it is the greatest thing since sliced bread & I really love it. But I'm going to need another model, or try something in the HKS brand instead as jimbar suggested, for my Uzi.

aray
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
FYI I went to "The Nation's Gun Show" in VA this last weekend and did indeed pickup a Uzi Lula. Works even better than the "normal" 9mm Uplula. Got a deal too - $25 vs. $33 on the internet.

Thanks much for turning me on to this device(s). Really great invention.

jlottmc
02-14-2011, 06:35 AM
I got one for the wife, so that she can load her own. I was playing with it the other night, it's not bad. I still prefer the ease and simplicity of my thumbs, but the uplula wasn't bad. I may use it when I have to load and reload a bunch of hi-caps when doing feed checks, but still I have thumbs that work, and am lazy enough to not go back to the bedroom to get the silly thing. As for the sharp edges, emery cloth will do fine, or a file with a light touch, the finish with fine emery or sand paper. I do mean fine too.

Finnbear
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I have one. It works great. I stuffed 600 rounds through it at Frontsight in February for my CW40 and it saved my thumbs.
Finnbear

Thanks.