PDA

View Full Version : First 1911

wyntrout
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, this is my first 1911. I had a Para P12, but that was high cap... 12+1, and I can't even remember if it had a grip safety. It did have night sights, though, and I carried it cocked and locked.

I was looking for a 1911-type... would have to be Mil-Spec, but with the rounded mainspring housing... don't like the sharp or abrupt end on the straight ones, especially the compact models. I couldn't find anything close enough at the last gun show, but found this one on Gunbroker:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=211870536

It had nice grips, upgraded sights with the front standard dot night sight dovetailed in, and the muzzle crowned. It was in the price range I wanted and I waited until there was just two hours or so left on the 3-day auction. There were no other bids and I mailed the seller a USPS M.O. for the price plus $25 for overnight shipping. They used Express Mail Overnight Monday... $43.65!! It got here the next morning (Tuesday) and my dealer has kind of lazy hours: 11am to 7pm Tuesday through Saturday. The USPS carrier tries one delivery before his opening and then takes it back to the Post Office. My carrier sure wouldn't do that. BUT, I called the next afternoon and found what I expected had happened(not the first time for me). He didn't think he could get to it then, Wednesday, but would try Thursday AM. I waited without a call until about 3PM Thursday, and then decided to just go there... 12 miles. Sure enough, he had forgotten, but went and picked it up while I waited in the store with a friend of his. Well I finally got it and was shocked that the seller had paid $43.65 for Express Overnight!! The dealer said he could have sent it Priority. Had they used UPS, I could have had it Tuesday afternoon, or sooner with FedEx.

I took it apart cleaned it a bit and lubed it a bit and the next day took it and my other .45's to the range. There's not much slack in the trigger... about 1/16", if that and then there's just a tiny bit of creep before hammer fall. I have no idea what the trigger pull is. My small digital scale only goes to 2Kg and the bathroom scale is digital and doesn't register gradual-push type weights.

The gun came with one 8-round Wilson Combat magazine... not sure if it's the 47(?) type, but it loads easily with resistance at the mag catch and drops freely when released. I think I want more of those or at least the 8-shot flush ones. It has the hollow plastic follower and the plastic base is removable. I wouldn't mind a stronger spring, though. I had one instance of the gun chambering a round when I slapped the magazine home, but no more.

I had one regular stainless 7-round mag that fit, but drags, especially at the catch and doesn't drop freely. I have to grab the floor plate protrusion to pull it out. This is a cheap one that I got with a bunch of different ones at CDNN... mostly Officer's size.

I had few stovepipes and a few failures to go into battery... round cocked about 45° and up the ramp, but the big problem was the sights. They are the low "V" rear with white post and the standard front dot night sight. The gun shot low at 7 yards and I couldn't seem to figure out where to aim. I hardly ever got up to the middle of the target, and my groups were lousy... not that I shot a lot better with the other two .45's. :) I shot over 100 rounds of UMC, WWB, and Federal 230-gr FMJ and then finished with 20 rounds of Remington Golden Sabers. I'll post that target. My computer freezes up for minutes when I try to use most applications and I have to start over many times processing the pictures, so I'll post the text before I lose it accidentally... done that many times. :rolleyes:

Today I was measuring the dovetails and starting to look around online for sight options and I thought about checking the sights with my Bushnell laser boresighter. At 15 feet with the "i" dotted and the top of the dot on an aiming point, the laser dot was about 4" low and just a hair right. It's kind of hard to aim over a target to hit it and these sights aren't adjustable, so I need something different. All of my other sights are N/S with 3 dots and a square notch at the rear. I'm thinking this gun won't be carried much and not CCW, so I'm not sure I need N/S, but adjustable would be nice.

I'll try to post some pictures here but it may take a while. :( Danged computer!

Who just said I'm long-winded...?

Dang! This is taking forever and I'm still getting further reduction in size from about the 97K limit to TINY! I'll see if i can do it any faster with Photobucket.

Wynn :D

Bawanna
01-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Wyn with the Ashleys or Xs I guess they are now, you cover what you want to hit out to 20 yards or so then use the front dot like a post like you normally do. Your doing the 6 oclock hold and that will put you low all the time. It's takes a bit to get used to but I really like them. Fast and good for my experienced eyes to see both in daylight and night time too.

wyntrout
01-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Man, I was covering the bullseye with the dot and aiming at the top of the bullseye and I barely got near the center.

I think that I must have exceeded some picture posting limit and now my photos are not allowed to be near the max of 97.7KB for jpegs and 640x480 resolution cropped down below the max.

I don't like the sights! My eyes don't help, either. :)

Wynn

O'Dell
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
I was a bit luckier than you on my 1911 sights. The SIG C3 and SA Ultra Compact both have night sights. At 10 yards the SIG is about 1 1/2 inches high and right. The Springfield was dead level and 1 inch right. I had to send the Springfield slide back to remove a scratch, and ask that they adjust the sights. The SIG, I can adjust and be 1 inch high - I can live with that. The Rock is also 1 inch right, but I can adjust that when I'm sure it's broken in.

O'Dell
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Your comments on mags caused me to look at mine. Both the SIG and Springfield came with two SS flush-fit mags that are extremely well made, but have no name or markings anywhere on them. They are exactly the same size and are identical except for one thing - The SIG mags hold seven rounds and the Springfield six. They have the same witness holes, but the bottom one one the SA mags doesn't show a round when loaded. All drop free easily.

The RI came with one blued ACT eight round mag with the plastic buffer on the bottom. For a spare, I bought a seven round flush-fit SS Kimber mag. They both drop free.

I've noticed another thing about the 1911 mags. All are much easier to hand load than my other 45's, even the single stack ones. Obviously the springs are weaker, but it doesn't effect function at all.

earle8888
01-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Nice! is that a 4"??

wyntrout
01-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Sorry... been doing chores. Yes, it's a 4" bull ( I think) barrel, no bushing. I didn't want the full-sized model with the 5" barrel. I really like the Champion 4".

With the slide locked back you use a plastic spacer that clips onto the recoil guide rod. Then you release the slide (gently) and then can line up the slide lock with the disassembly notch and the slide lock pin pushes easily out. Then the slide is removed by sliding it forward. Then you can remove the recoil spring assembly and the barrel then slides out the front of the slide. You have to get the barrel link forward for sliding in and out of the slide. The slide lock pin threads through that on assembly... kind of like the lug on the Kahr barrels. I've done this a few times and was hoping I got it back together correctly before going to the range. I just figured the slide lock pin had to go through the barrel link... evidently I did good. :D

I've been playing with the sights, using a Bushnell laser boresighter and a laser level to check the boresighter and lining up the sights. I've figured that if I set the base of the front sight on the rear white bar, that's spot on with the laser boresighter at about 15 feet. The "dot" is no help and in the way. :D I definitely want to get new sights.

I've tried to measure the dovetail base widths, front to back and the angles, but so far most sights are referred to by types, like Novak cut or Kimber, etc. I'll eventually figure it out and find something. I think I can probably get these out and new ones in. The rear ones have hex set screws and the front is dovetailed in.

Wynn :)

wyntrout
01-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey, Bawanna. I've been trying to figure out what magazines to order for my "new" 1911. I know you said those Wilson 47D's fit the PM45 and locked the slide back, but I haven't seen those with metal followers. I think the Wilson Combat mag that came with my gun is that model or close and it has the plastic follower like the upgrade kit I bought... Wilson Combat, which adds one round capacity. Anyhow, mine has the plastic follower and won't lock the slide back. The ones I ordered all have hybrid feed lips, not the wad-cutter ones.

Here's a good discussion on the followers:

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/feeding-time.html

I got online trying to find some magazines and those Wilson mags are all over $30 each. I did run across some good words and test on the 1911 Forum about Check-Mate mags and their patented followers. They have a front skirt and are more stable in the tubes. After a lot of studying the stuff I could find on those, I went ahead and ordered a bunch at Top Gun:
Products ordered
SKU WL Product Item price Select Qty Total
CM45-8-S-H Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $18.95 5 $94.75
CM45-7C-S Check-Mate .45ACP, 7RD Compact, SS - Officer's Size 1911 Magazine $16.95 1 $16.95
CM45-8-S-RB-EXT Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $21.95 2 $43.90
Subtotal: $155.60
Shipping cost: $9.95
Total: $165.55

They seemed to have good prices and the shipping was cheap. I also ordered the compact 7-round offers model to try in the PM45. I probably should have gotten the six round, but I think they're the same size length-wise.

I'll have some more testing to do in a few days. I still need to find a set of sights that I can install or someone with sights that can install them for me. I think the big deal was that the front sight is too tall, or sits too high as mounted... AND I hate the low-vee with post rear sight. I still don't know if I want to get night sights or not, though, but I need finer sights for punching paper.

I'm still having computer software halts just about any time I try to change folders and get to files like pictures... a BIG PITA. It just took several minutes to add one picture. I'll post this and try to edit and add some more. What a PITA.

I got some flush and a few with the extended base like the 47D's. I hope they work well and in the PM45 as well. the followers sound very promising.

Wynn

wyntrout
01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
These Check-Mate Industries followers have the skirt to stabilize them in the magazine tube, and they emphasize slide lock actuation... and they retain the extra round capability... and they are METAL, not plastic that will wear.

Wynn:D

wyntrout
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Link to Photobucket, I hope:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m620/wyntrout/

wyntrout
01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow! Just got an email that Top Gun has shipped my magazines already... small flat-rate box Priority Mail. That's pretty fast!

Wynn:)

Bawanna
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow! Just got an email that Top Gun has shipped my magazines already... small flat-rate box Priority Mail. That's pretty fast!

Which mags did you order Wyn?

wyntrout
01-31-2011, 03:32 PM
I posted that yesterday, I wondered if you were snubbing me. <sniff> But here they are... CM45-8-S-H Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $18.95 5 $94.75
CM45-7C-S Check-Mate .45ACP, 7RD Compact, SS - Officer's Size 1911 Magazine $16.95 1 $16.95
CM45-8-S-RB-EXT Check-Mate .45ACP, 8RD, SS, Hybrid - Full Size 1911 Magazine $21.95 2 $43.90 .

Basically, I got 7 8-round SS with the hybrid feed lips... 5 with flush welded base and 2 with removable polymer bases. I got one 7-round compact officers model to try with the PM45. maybe these followers will work. One of the problems is the proper spring... strength and how it pushes up the front of the follower... so many variable trying to mix things. It seems like a good idea to try these. They should get here quickly and I'll comment on them before and after testing.
I'm trying to figure out what sights to get at Springfield Arms... not a lot of pictures and I'm not sure they can install what they have without more milling at extra expense. There's just so much you can do to these guns! I probably should have sprung for the SS Champion somewhat loaded for $800 to $950 or so, but I'm sure Wifey would have been a little more "interested" in a purchase that big.:rolleyes: I really like the gun, but I need something I can aim with. The regular military sights on that AO that I shot were okay, but adjustable may be what I need for a range gun.
The front sight is not very bright in the dark and I don't know how useful it would be as a night sight. I don't know its history and there's no date on them like the Trijicon. If I can get them back, I'll just send them to you. It may not be much of a "gift", though.
I don't think the person who installed them knew what they were doing. The front sight is just too high... OR the rear sight is too low. They sure don't boresight to any of the described aiming points... 6 o'clock, center, or even 12 o'clock! Like I said, with the laser boresight on a point, the only way the sights line up is if I set the base of the sight... where it's connected to the slide, on top of the post.
Well, I have to run and do a few errands. I need to get a card for my daughters 36th birthday and send her some money. I know she can use the money.
I have 8 officers' size 6 and 7 round magazines... well, one is that Brolin Arms... for whatever that fits... like 6-rounder size, but holds 7... officer's 6 round. Oh, one of those is a 7-rd regular with the Wilson kit making it an 8-rounder. That's the only other mag that fits the 1911.
Well, toodles for now.

Wynn:yo:

Bawanna
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Sorry Wyn, I looked back and see that somehow those two post about the mags you made got by me. I honestly didn't see them.

I would certainly have persuaded you to go with the Wilson. It's weird though another fella here said his officer size wilsons worked in his PM45, I tried my officer size wilsons in mine and they didn't work. But my full size 47D's all work perfectly. Same exact follower, (plastic, that you will never wear out). Only a shorter body and no doubt corresponding shorter spring.

I've not bothered to mix and match followers and I haven't even taken them apart to compare between the two sizes but outside they are identical.

One of lifes mysteries for sure.

Those sights can be a nightmare to figure out as you say too. With all the various dovetail cuts (really not that many) but trying to figure out which one you have is a challenge. Hopefully you can get some help figuring that out. There are some nice adjustables, I have adjustable XS's on my full size Para LDA Double stack. The down fall is they are more money, bulkier, and once you get them set you generally never adjust them again although I guess it's a good option to be able to with different loads etc.

swampman
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
congratulations on your 1911 Wyn,God bless John Moses Browning:)

wyntrout
01-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Swampman. I kind of want the adjustable sights to be able to adjust for goofs like this.
It's interesting that all of my autos have the Browning locked-breech, but the three .45's are very different. My 645 is too big and I HATE the ambi-safety/decocker on the SLIDE.

The Champion 4" is a nice size, not light but more compact. If I can figure out the sights at Springfield, I'll go with them. I'll have to discuss it with someone there, though. Oh, it has a bull barrel with an integral feed ramp and no bushing... different from the full-sized ones.

Bawanna', those Check-Mate magazines sound and look very promising. I read quite a bit about them and the people who've tried them like them. We'll know more in a few days. I haven't checked to see where Top Gun is but Priority Mail shouldn't take more than 2-3 days. I sure hope those work with the PM45 and actuate the slide lock on empty.

I would have gotten the 8-round SS mags with the two-sized rubber bumper pads, but they were out. I only got two with the small pads and the rest flat, welded bases... cheaper by a few dollars each. :D

O'Dell
01-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey Wynn. I found a couple of 3rd gen S&W's, but both are 40 cal - no 45 at present, but he has a bid in on some. One is a 4043. I like the SS slide and alloy frame on this one, but it has that DAO trigger I didn't care for on the stolen 4586. The other is a 4006 TSW which is all SS and 10 oz heavier, but has the DA/SA trigger and would be newer. He says he has some clean ones in both guns, so I wouldn't have to work as hard as I did on the 4586. Both will have working night sights and two eleven round mags. Do you have any info on these two models? I'm leaning toward the newer 4006, but haven't definitely decided.

wyntrout
01-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Sorry, sure don't. I've never had or fired a .40 and I forgot to try the DA on my 645 the other day just for comparison. All steel is heavy for sure. That's why I marvel at my PM45.

kramm
02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Wyntrout,
Those Checkmate 7 rd mags. will fit the pm45 but they are long and stick out the bottom. Thats what came with my D.W. CCO. I tried them for fit in my pm45 but didn't actually fire it.

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
When I get a chance, maybe tomorrow, I'll post some pix and info on my research. After reading about these Check-Mate mags, I ordered a bunch of them early Monday morning from Top Gun. They just came in USPS Priority... $9.95 for the whole order of 8 magazines. I got one Officer's model 7-shot SS with welded base to try in my PM45. It fits and seems like the best fit to actuate the slide stop. A trip to the range to test that during use, is necessary, though. I have great hopes for this brand. If it works as I hope, I'll use that "emergency repair" silicone tape to build up the gap between the grip and the base, and this may become my carry setup... 7+1.
These IMPROVED hybrid lips and new patented follower, with front skirt and adequate or ample metal to actuate the slide lock, may just be what we were looking for... especially in the follower... and its matching stronger spring, which I think is the weak link with earlier testing of other mags and springs. The Check-Mate mags are a matched set of new improvements, so I expect them to work well. They insert, lock, and fall freely! Actual range use will tell, though.

kramm
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Be sure to let us know how they work. It'll be awhile before I can get to the range. We just got blasted be a snow storm. I'm sure the road to the range I use will be closed for quit awhile.

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Will do. I just tried the Check-Mate follower and spring in the 5-shot Kahr mag. Six rounds easily fit and the snap caps cycle through the gun with hand-racking and the slide is held back on empty. IF it locks the slide back on the range, we may have a winner for adding capacity to the Kahr magazines. 6+1 beats 5+1, IF reliable.

Wynn :)

wyntrout
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, the PM45 5-round mag will easily hold 6 rounds with the CM follower and spring installed and the Kahr base is used, however, it's not a good fit without modification, which I didn't try to do at the range. I had numerous malfunctions with failures to feed and stovepipes with empties and live rounds.
The cartridge is presented at a higher level to the chamber and doesn't always go INTO the chamber. Also, on firing the last cartridge, the first coil below the free end of the magazine spring below the front of the follower, pops out and there is no slide lock. This happened with the PM45 AND the Springfield 1911... numerous times.
I bought 5 SS welded-bottom (8-rd) and 2 removable extended base for the Springfield, and 1 Officers SS welded bottom (7-round) to try with the PM45.
At the end of the test I had 3 of the 8-rd SS welded bottoms that hadn't malfunctioned with the spring jumping out. I tested them at least 3 more times than the others without them malfunction, yet. The slide locked back fine with these.

First 2 mags from Champion shown using base of front sight on top of rear post. Not bad at 7 yards but tough to use at 15 yards. Need something a bit finer to aim with. :)

wyntrout
02-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I finally figured out what was slowing my compter or making it halt so long while processing files... my Seagate Back Up program that came with the 2TB GoFlex drive. I kept trying to remove it and it said wait. I turned the PC off and unplugged the power. Then I used Program Manager to try to end all of its processes and they kept re-appearing, so I went to the Control Panel and removed the danged thing. PC seems okay now and can post more than one picture without going nuts!

More pictures of the Check Mate magazine malfunctions I had including the K5 mag with the CM follower and spring installed, and the target from that test:

wyntrout
02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, so far today, I replaced the flasher bulbs in the front of my wife's 2001 Volvo S40. Then the danged right front beams wouldn't come on! That was weird... checked connections and fuses, then replaced high beam... no luck. Removed small panel and checked light switch on dash... nothing. Then had brainstorm and tired high beam switch... LIGHT! So I replaced the Low beam and all is well. Now I need some more spare headlight bulbs... seem to go out in pairs, sometimes... weird.

I sent off an email and pix to Top gun and they forwarded it to Check Mate, so maybe we can get to the bottom of the springs popping out. I hope!

More pix:

With the CM Officer's 7-rd SS mag, I wrapped that sealing silicone tape around the bottom to build up the magazine gap. That tape is really handy... stretches, activates, and seals well. That gives 7 rounds in less space than the 6-round factory mag with extended grip, but obviously, the feed lips and spring problems need adjusting. I'll wait until the factory says something about the springs popping out, though. I like the 6 rounds in the K5. There's extra space using just the CM follower and spring... about 6 1/2 rounds, so not too tight.

Well, now I guess that I can clean my guns... been so busy with everything else and slowed up by the computer problems. I thought the Seagate software might be the culprit, but I had to drive a stake through its heart to stop it.

wyntrout
02-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Hey, Bawanna'. Whatever Wilson Combat mag that came with my Springfield, didn't lock the slide back on empty. It just wasn't a good day with my magazines! I got the front sight off last night/tonight with a plastic "dowel". The rear one is still on because the danged set screws must be glued in. I tried acetone, WD40 before that, and then some heat with a small butane torch... no luck. Didn't hurt the sight either. :D The darn Allen wrench is .050" and twists... the metal does... afraid it's gonna break, and not loose! At least that front post and sight are out of the way now. I was thinking about whittling a low front blade out of something, but the "pin" hole for the original sight is there, and the blast will probably blow anything less than metal away. :eek: Hmmm... maybe aluminum, to fit the dovetail, but a very minimal, low blade... or nub. :D

I've posted the pictures of the test "subjects" since my computer is up to speed again.
I put a CM follower and spring in one K45-5rd mag. I cut lengths of that "fix anything" silicone tape in two lengthwise and built up the bare space between the grip and the 7-round OM base. I was going to trim it better around the base, but I left a bit to help with the sharp rear corners of the base.

After I hear from Check Mate on the malfunctions, I want to try tuning the magazine lips for the OM-7 for use in the PM45... and maybe the spring/follower in the K45-5, too. 6 rounds in the regular Kahr magazine would be nice. The OM-7 doesn't protrude as much as the 6-round extended grip Kahr magazine, but I would have to wrap that silicone tape with some slick electrical tape so clothing won't catch on it... and 7+1 capacity!

Bawanna
02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Your having a heck of a time with magazines there Wyn. That Wilson if a 8 rounder almost has to be a 47D and they just work. All mine work in my PM45 just fine including slide lock.
The 47OX which is the same thing but for an officers model (shorter frame) don't always do the slide lock which perplexes me no end. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't.

The sights on that Springer baffle me too. How they can be that far off is mind boggling. The rear sight in the pictures looks ok but apparently needs to be much higher if your using the top of the slide in front.
Something is just totally goofed on that sight set.

wyntrout
02-05-2011, 01:20 PM
If I ever get started and finish cleaning my guns, I might try making a front sight... a very low blade to try, maybe, but I really need to bite the bullet and send it to Springfield. I wish they had more pictures of the sights to at least see what they look like... AND what each type of "cut" is like. The rear was stock, I guess, but the front dovetail was added and I don't know if it's any "standard". If I could get the rear off, I would send them to you. The seller said they were installed in '05, but the "standard" front tritium sight looks kind of dim to me.
I'm still waiting to hear from Check Mate and won't "adjust" any mags until they contact me.:)

Edit: Added pictures of mags and sights. Front dovetail and rear sight. i scraped the red stuff out of the dovetail. The rear is "tight"!!

wyntrout
02-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's the Springfield Champion Mil-Spec 4" bull barrel with integral ramp and the inside front sight pin hole. The barrel is still dirty from the range. :rolleyes:

A few pictures of my comparison of the sights vs. the boresighter. Difference is more easily seen at the 15-foot distance I checked from the kitchen counter to the far wall.

wyntrout
02-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Yeehaa! Got the rear sight off. Used a 3/32 drill bit to drill the set screw hole out a bit so that I could use a .050 hex bit as a punch and to try to screw it out. Then used a CR V T6 bit for the same thing... broke off the tip, but when I got my plastic dowel and tapped the sight it moved! Then I tapped it off.:D

Now I just have to find some sights for the regular military cut on the rear... 0.330" by ~0.094" by 65° and the front 0.330" by ~0.062" by 65°. Base of the dovetail front to back and depth of cut in frame.

wyntrout
02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
I finally got through to Check-Mate today. Their "Contact Us" link was broken and I looked until I found a contact number on the M1911 Forum from a story/interview/visit in 2009. I called and then emailed the info to the lady I talked to, directly to her email address. I know they are interested in making things right.
I really want those magazines to work for me and it might be something simple to fix.

kyletx1911
02-18-2011, 05:51 AM
let me know how it works out

wyntrout
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Will do, buddy. I've boxed all of the magazines up and am sending them back. Checkmate wants to examine them and see what's wrong. They'll replace them all after examination. Maybe it's just my Springfield, but there must be some way to get reliable use of these mags.
We're leaving town to visit my brother in Natchez, MS, and my little brother, newly-retired California Corrections Officer brother, will be there, too, and maybe we can go shoot somewhere. My next youngest brother has access to a hunting club he helps there and he wants to try out a new 9mm. My CO brother carries a Para P12 (I used to have one of those) or some kind of Kimber all of the time. He's a real gun nut... has every gun he's ever owned... lots... not sure he knows how many. :)
I think that I'll take all of my Tupperware Kahrs with me... and a lot of ammo, of course.

DKD
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Wyn,

Just go with a higher rear site...that will raise your popint of impact regardless of the type of hold you are using.
Just a suggestion.

wyntrout
02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Right, but I don't like the front sight anyhow. There's not much available for the standard G.I. dovetail. I'll have to wait until I get back from our trip so I'll have the time. If I had one of those Swenson 65° files at Midway for doing 1911 dovetails, I would have already gotten some sights. The ones like that at Brownells(? or Midway?) that were in stock are $34 to $35 each. :eek: I'll wait on the $12.50 ones or get new sights as part of a package... refinish and all.

wyntrout
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Well, we got back around 0900 Monday the 28th... also Wifey's 55th BD... dinner that night at Longhorn's.

We were dead tired and just unpacked the cold stuff and hit the sack. About 1030AM I got a call from the lady at Check Mate Industries. I had told her in my email that we would be back that Monday. She said the magazines feed lips didn't have the right spacing and that they were ready to be shipped. I said OK and she said they would go out immediately. I got them Thursday... the same magazines.

Saturday 8 got my 1911 and PM45, mags, and ammo, and headed for the range. my membership runs out Monday the 7th and it was probably my last trip as a member.

Anyhow, I still didn't have sights for the Champion 4", but I still had the unused one that I had made for the front from an aluminum female document binding set. The female didn't have threads externally, nor did it have the flat screw base. I used my small vise and a file to shape it. I just threw some Sharpie black at it and made a dot with word correction whiteout... ya use what ya got.

I put that in the front dovetail and put some Super Glue on both sides. It held in place for the test. The pistol still shot low, so aiming became sort of pointing at 7 yards and 15 yards was really tough, but I managed to keep a magazine of 8 on the 19" by 21" cardboard at 15 yards, and at 7 yards I was shooting it better after establishing a sight picture and then pointing.

I can't wait to get decent sights. I've been trying to find some adjustable "Novak-cut" types with Tritium dots... 3-dot sights, but neither Midway or Brownells had the ones I wanted in stock. I don't want to have to do more than minimal widening of the dovetails. My rear sights are .330x.120x65° and the front are .300x.075x65°. Novak dovetails are .495"x.125"x65° rear and .330"x.075"x65°, so I could widen them judiciously with my single-cutting-sided 65° Swenson file when it arrives. The Novak adjustable ssights require a small bit of milling in front of the dovetail for the hinge, so I couldn't just use theirs... what's that sound... a little bird... Cheep! Cheep! :rolleyes:

I just had a couple of failures to feed when I released the slide so the magazines worked OK... the 1911 8-rounders... stainless welded base and Removable extended polymer Base (RB) ones. The Colt Officer's 7-shot mag had the spring pop out on the last round in the PM45 and the slide didn't lock back.

I fired 150 Federal 230-gr FMJ and 8 Bonded Remington 230-gr Golden Sabers... my carry choice. I fired those 2 to a mag to check for any problems with the spring and slide lock. 40 to 50 or so were through the PM45. Switching from SA to DAO didn't help me with the Kahr. :rolleyes:

I had one stove pipe each on most of the Kahr mags:

2 K5's S/P at round 4... after 3rd round fired. The next use they were okay.
1 K7 ditto.
K6G, ditto, but after 2nd round fired.
The 2 K7G's were fine. No problems at all. I like those... the 7-round extended grip models... CW45 and P45 sized, for reloads and the range.

A few pictures will be added shortly.

wyntrout
03-06-2011, 02:49 PM
7 yards wasn't too bad, but at 15 yards, the slide covers the whole target with the front held high enough to hit the target. I can't wait to get some decent sights. This will be a great shooter.

At least I hit the 19" by 21" diamond-shaped cardboard with all 8 shots at 15 yards. Some of the 7 yard targets were pretty good. One 8-round magazine I got 7 out of 8 in the 4" bull and five were a ragged hole. I fist thought that i had a flier or two and annotated the target as 6+8 after the subsequent magazine, but I'm positive that the mags were full and the hole could have had several more through it without making the hole larger... at least that's my story. :D

I love shooting the Champion with its crisp SA trigger but I've got to get serious about finding sights.

Oh, I had two spaces for pix open, so I just put in a few girls with guns.:D

wyntrout
03-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I mailed the slide to Novak Sights yesterday for adjustable tritium sight installation. I got tired of looking... the ones I wanted weren't in stock. I guess that Novak has sights and knows how to install them.

swampman
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I mailed the slide to Novak Sights yesterday for adjustable tritium sight installation. I got tired of looking... the ones I wanted weren't in stock. I guess that Novak has sights and knows how to install them.

good luck with your endeaver:)

wyntrout
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks, George. I just hope I can shoot that 1911 and put at least put a whole magazine in the pie plate, if not the 4" bull, at 15 yards.

Without sights, I was doing better with it at 7 yards than my PM45.

I got really turned on at the range when I shot a guy's AO GI Milspec .45... with GI sights. I loaded 5 rounds of my ammo and the first two shots weren't right on. Then I settled down and put the last 3 into a small group 5/8" center to center. I was impressed! I had to get one, but a 4".

swampman
03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks, George. I just hope I can shoot that 1911 and put at least put a whole magazine in the pie plate, if not the 4" bull, at 15 yards.

Without sights, I was doing better with it at 7 yards than my PM45.

I got really turned on at the range when I shot a guy's AO GI Milspec .45... with GI sights. I loaded 5 rounds of my ammo and the first two shots weren't right on. Then I settled down and put the last 3 into a small group 5/8" center to center. I was impressed! I had to get one, but a 4".

A 4" is great,I have a 3" and a 5",The 4" is great for concealed carry,I cannot out shoot either one of my 1911s.They are so accurate I dont have to aim:)

wyntrout
03-10-2011, 04:39 PM
I have that 5" S&W and it's a beast... humongous! I tried that CCW when I used to walk my dog. It was just too big and bulky. I got a Para P12... more compact. i don't remember but the barrel was probably less than 4". With 12+1 230-grain .45 Federal Hydra Shoks, I stopped carrying a reload and was ready for just about anything while walking all hours of the day/night.

I'm trying to stop a leak in my air handler for the A/C. The drip ring/pan that catches condensation broke not long after I got it and I've been able to patch it a few times with WaterWeld... since 2002. I hope it's not a big deal. I've used a couple of rolls of Bounty paper towels around the leaking side and have kept the water out of the house for about a week now.
Wifey's at work and her car's out of the way, so I'm going to get after it while the temperature isn't hot and the air doesn't run much. I precooled to 70° and it's about 60° outside, so I should have enough time.

Later!

wyntrout
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Range test:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5560&page=2

GunStoreGirl
03-24-2011, 01:20 PM
The 1911 is BY FAR my favorite gun. I'm saving for #4 currently! I'm really picky about what I want in one, though. And I'm ALWAYS suspicious of the "for sale" pics that don't show the slide stop side...most times people do that to hide the idiot scratch they made!

wyntrout
03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
I have a large S&W 645 and I hate the slide-mounted safety/decocker... it's in the danged way!

I also don't like extra stuff that increases the width... like ambidexterous safeties... again, the 645 has that, too... both sides of the slide where you would like to grab the slide to cycle it.:rolleyes:

I know that things like that could come in handy... and extended controls look handy with the 1911 because I have to shift the gun a lot to reach the slide release and even the magazine release. I usually use my left hand to release the slide. The safety isn't too bad. I can operate that.

When I sold my Para P12 to a retired Army officer, he had to check out assembly and disassembly and he scratched the frame putting the slide lock back in. He noticed that and bought the gun, paying full price. I was kind of shocked at that and wound up giving him all of the defense ammo I was going to sell for about $60 at the next garage sale. He said that he didn't believe in trying to beat someone out of the asking price. I had figured on getting about 10% less, so I was happy and wanted to help him out.
I would have been sick if he had decided not to get the pistol after the scratch!

That's the risk you take in letting someone else handle your "toys". At one of our garage sales, I was selling an RWS air rifle in mint condition and I was out of the room with my wife watching things and I heard the report of the pellet gun being fired! Damn, I was pissed at the idiot. He said it didn't hurt anything and he did that with his (P.O.S. cheapie) all the time. Well, the piston is supposed to be cushioned by captured air behind the pellet, not slam into the end of the air chamber with no pellet loaded. There's a warning tag on the rifle's trigger guard and in the manual warning not to do that... it's destructive and weakens the piston. RWS knows what they're talking about.:mad:

The 1911 is over 100 years old and still the most widely produced and used pistol... just super.

I like the 4" barrel, but the pistol still weighs 44.5 ounces with 8+1 onboard... not a light weight and only about an ounce lighter than the 5" model. It's about as full-sized as I would want.:D

I need to get some more pie plates to ventilate... ran out last trip to the range.

Well, I need to get back to repairs and renovations in our bathroom. Most of the day is gone and I just took a break.

I still marvel at my PM45 and it's compactness and the power it has, but I love the Champion, too, especially for more accurate shooting, though seven yards is getting to be max range for me... for any kind of decent grouping and consistency.

GunStoreGirl
03-25-2011, 06:07 AM
I have a large S&W 645 and I hate the slide-mounted safety/decocker... it's in the danged way! I know that things like that could come in handy... and extended controls look handy with the 1911 If you're talking about the decocker being handy, you're not going to find that on any 1911.

wyntrout
03-25-2011, 09:43 AM
No, it would be OK on the S&W if it were frame mounted, but it's smack dab in the serrations and the place you grab the slide to rack it.

I like the DA/SA but could live without the safety on a self-defense weapon. That's a great thing about Kahrs... it only has the slide lock and the magazine release... no "extra" stuff... just what's needed.

Some pistols are just festooned with levers and buttons! And now the liberals in government are adding all kinds of requirements... chamber loaded indicators, warnings and safeties. I just want my gun to be simple as possible and shoot when I pull the trigger... and fire only then.

Danged carpal tunnel is really acting up this morning... hard to use the mouse with tingling, numbness, and no feeling in my right hand fingers.:rolleyes:

I use a splint at night and sometimes when I take it off in the morning, the CT decides to annoy me for a while. It's exacerbated by using some hand tools, like drills and a few other things, but shooting doesn't cause me any problems.

O'Dell
03-25-2011, 11:18 AM
No, it would be OK on the S&W if it were frame mounted, but it's smack dab in the serrations and the place you grab the slide to rack it.

I like the DA/SA but could live without the safety on a self-defense weapon. That's a great thing about Kahrs... it only has the slide lock and the magazine release... no "extra" stuff... just what's needed.

Some pistols are just festooned with levers and buttons! And now the liberals in government are adding all kinds of requirements... chamber loaded indicators, warnings and safeties. I just want my gun to be simple as possible and shoot when I pull the trigger... and fire only then.

Danged carpal tunnel is really acting up this morning... hard to use the mouse with tingling, numbness, and no feeling in my right hand fingers.:rolleyes:

I use a splint at night and sometimes when I take it off in the morning, the CT decides to annoy me for a while. It's exacerbated by using some hand tools, like drills and a few other things, but shooting doesn't cause me any problems.

Actually the safety/decocker location on the S&W's has never bothered me. I took the new M&P compact 40 to the range Wednesday and the new Chief's Special CS45 today for the first time. As with all 8 of my 3rd gens and my two M&P's, no issues at all. In fact I have never had a failure of any kind with a S&W ever and they are very accurate pistols, so even if I didn't care for the s/d location, I would still be happy with them.

wyntrout
03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Unless the S/D is on SAFE, the the darn switch is not a "comfy" thing to try to grip, and it's not something I want to have to position several times in getting the pistol back into ready-to-fire condition, especially in THOB. :D

I prefer the KISS-designed Kahrs.

I got side-tracked a bit. The tall, Nicole-Kidman-looking blonde that pushes her baby carriage by every day just stopped to talk to my neighbor and I had to snap some pictures and blow them up. She really does look like Nicole!:D

Bawanna
03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
I'll be the judge of that. Where are the pictures?

Don't even have to go to the mall anymore huh? They walk past your house for your viewing pleasure?

wyntrout
03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
There are a few that catch my eye... not window shopping, just enjoying the view. My danged binoculars are in my van and this is the first time I saw her in enough time to get my camera and run upstairs... then she stops and talks to the old lady(78) next door for ten minutes or so.

It's 30 yards or so to the road and I'm shooting through a dirty window, wondering if the autofocus is going to focus on the glass, so I'm glad these came out well enough to see if she's as good closer up as she is far off. Yep, definitely.

Here are a few shots... in the interest of enjoying beauty.

In the first I hope she's not pointing at the D.O.M. with the camera. :D

Bawanna
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
From the looks of the kid I'd say the daddy is a big ole boy. If he happens to be a member here your in deep kimchee I'm afraid.

She is a cutie without question. Maybe shades and blinds are in order for that window. (or spotting scope and telephoto lense)? Sort of blinders for the modern house.

wyntrout
03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
The other day, I took a quick shot through the blinds at my Command Center and what I found out is that the blinds are years overdue for a good cleaning, which is why I ran upstairs so I wouldn't alert her when I opened the blinds. Anyhow, I was happy that she looked as good as I hoped with a little help from my camera and picture viewer.

Dang! I need to get back to work! I have tons of stuff to do and while my wife's at work, I'm getting distracted and playing around with my computer and Kahrtalk.

My recently retired brother and his wife are going to be here Tuesday and I'm trying to make up for a few years of neglect on the internal stuff... touching up paint and such.

He retired from the California Dept. of Corrections... LEO, and his wife retired from there as an admin. type. He usually packs some kind of 1911 .45. I want to take him to the range while he's here. I'm sure he can outshoot me, but I might keep up with him at 7 yards.

Well, back to work!

Update... Brother won't be here until around the 10th or so.