PDA

View Full Version : Kahr service or local smith?

Romadoc
01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking of doing the Elite trigger change. What worries me is that should I return the pistol to Kahr, they might return it with factory specs. As I sweated to put in a lighter spring (see my posts of some months ago), I would not like to be forced to do it again. The cost would be about the same ...about $100 total ($25 for necessary parts from Kahr plus $75 labor). What would be best way to go?

ripley16
01-30-2011, 01:02 PM
If the cost is the same and you have confidence in your local gun shop, the question I would ask is; "How long will it take?" I say this because my local smith talks in terms of months for some turnaround times. If you trust your local guy and he can turn it around fast, maybe that is the way to go.

If you really want to go to the expense of swapping out triggers, perhaps a call to Kahr to clarify whether they's do the job exactly as you wish. If your lighter spring is a Kahr product, I see no reason they's not keep it if you instructed them to.

I have an Elite trigger in my K9, but I bought it that way, pre-converted by the original owner, and is one of the main reasons I bought it. It is the best trigger of any of the seven Kahrs I've owned.

jocko
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
send it back to kahr, olet them do it. A smitty unless he has done alot of work on kahrs trigger system, which trust me they don't would be walking on new ground also. If it costs more to have kahr do, it, u know it will be done right by people who do that stuff every day of the week. Don't cheapen yourself for a few bucks difference IMO.

Longitude Zero
01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with jocko send it back, and if they return the weapon to factory specs so what?

jocko
01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I guess my question is "what lighter spring" is one talking about. I think the only lighter spring to my knowledge is the wolffs 5# striker spring and kahr would not mess with that slide anyways if you request a trigger change over. Ifyou buy and let them put in the elite trigger system it will be exactly what is in all kahrs today with the elite trigger system.

jocko
01-30-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm thinking of doing the Elite trigger change. What worries me is that should I return the pistol to Kahr, they might return it with factory specs. As I sweated to put in a lighter spring (see my posts of some months ago), I would not like to be forced to do it again. The cost would be about the same ...about $100 total ($25 for necessary parts from Kahr plus $75 labor). What would be best way to go?

u have to factor in postage both ways to. as the gun cannot be sent regular u.s postal,