PDA

View Full Version : dechambering issues

TexasK9
02-02-2011, 07:15 AM
I have a older K9, that shoots like a champ. I have owned it for a little over a year and half. The problem I have noticed is that when i start to take the gun apart, drop the mag, and rack the slide back to eject the round, i noticed that the slide stiffens a little and wont rack all the way back causing the round to get stuck half way out the chamber.
Once i finally got the round out. I tried it again, this time i ate my spinach and donned my superman cape and it happen again. Took the gun to the range master at our department adn both had the same issue. Once oiled the problem went away. I try to keep the k9 lubed and lube it twice a month.
even if its a little dry the gun shoots fine just have an issue with manually ejecting the round.
is this a problem with the k9's? Cause dont have this problem with my mk9. just wondering. Any bit of advice would help!

jocko
02-02-2011, 07:23 AM
hard to give advice on that. It does sound like in needs lubed. I use a greaseij the slide rails, over lil as the grease will stay there.

U might want to check the chamber also and maybe give it a good polishing. I am assuming your shooting new ammo and not reloads.. If it goes bang Ok all the time that is a positive thing. Here is an excellent gun grease

Mil-comm.com
order the TW25 grease in the syringe applicator. you can just put a nice smooth line right down inside the slide rails.

TexasK9
02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks Jocko, will give it a try. I have heard alot of good things on the Mil-comm. yeah, all the rounds fired through the K9 are brand new rounds of Gold dot 124 grain hollow points.

ripley16
02-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Does the same thing happen without a round in the chamber? Are you racking the slide vigorously or slowly?

TexasK9
02-02-2011, 08:24 AM
racking it back hard. it felt almost as if the sping had bunched up. but when taken apart the spring is fine. without the round doesnt have that issue.

cynergyou
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I had an older Kahr K9 that had a problem when you tried to extract a live round. For instance, if I had the gun loaded and was shooting at a range, when someone called for a cease fire, if I dropped the mag and then tried to pull the slide back, it was very hard to do. This only happened with a particular brand of ammo (Corbon P+ JHP).

The problem was that some of the earlier Kahrs had tight chambers. My gun was super accurate and worked reliably - it's just that it had problems with some ammo that it was difficult to extract (live rounds only). I shot some Corbon +P ammo and it was the round that got stuck. I took it to the gunshop (which incidentally is very close to the Kahr HQ in NY) and they showed me how the Corbon rounds were slightly longer than the standard 9mm Para FMJ rounds that I had also been shooting.

At the time, I could have sent the gun back to Kahr and they would have reamed the chamber to slightly open it up if I wanted to.

I kept the K9 and just didn't use the Corbon ammo in it.

One test that you can do to see if it's related to the chamber is to take a fresh round (make sure their are no marks on the bullet) and load it into the chamber. Then extract the round carefully (don't discharge the gun!) and see if the bullet tip has any marks on it from engaging the rifling of the barrel. I also had a S&W AR-15 that had a slightly tight chamber and when I shot some 5.56 NATO rounds, the same thing would happen as your K9. The gun ran fine but it was hard to extract live rounds using the charging handle. S&W replaced the barrel and with the new barrel, the technician told me (he had called me on my phone to explain what had happened) that he also polished the new chamber carefully to make sure a live round wouldn't get stuck.

Otherwise, that early Kahr was extremely accurate and very reliable. I think the tight chamber helped with accuracy.

As others suggested, you can try to polish your chamber, but if it still has problems, it might be that the chamber is a little tight. I think the guy at the gunshop said that the my gun's chamber seemed like it was in spec (since it worked fine with all of the FMJ factory ammo I shot and other JHP ammo) but that the slightly longer Corbon ammo was a little too big for the chamber and the tip of the bullet would engage the rifling and make it difficult to extract.

Good luck! Enjoy your K9. Let us know what you end up doing to resolve the issue. You might want to call Kahr's service center and see what they suggest.

wyntrout
02-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I got my SS K9 in early '98 and had the same problem. The first ammo I tried was Corbon at the store's range. I had to force the rounds into the chamber and then they were hard to extract. I finally gave the rest back to the dealer and tried something else.
Later, at a gun show I bought some ammo for the K9 and took it out into the parking lot to see if it would chamber... it wouldn't, so I took it back and the seller took it back. I think it was some kind of Speer Gold Dot, but I'm not sure... long time ago. I haven't had any troubles with other ammo since then and I use Speer 124-gr GD +P in my Kahr nines now... the SB version in the PM9.
Wynn :)

TexasK9
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Cynergyus, you describe exactly what is going on with my K9. Usually with The Speer gold dot Hollow points which are our issued rounds. But like yo said it shoots fine. but for the first week that it is oiled there is no problems ejectingthe round. I may try Jockos advice and try the lube. but i will call Kahr and see what they tell me, Thanks