PDA

View Full Version : electronic ear muffs

joshh
02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
anyone have input? i am considering a set of electronic earmuffs that aren't too expensive. the ones ive been lookin at are the peltor tactical 6s or the Howard Leight R-01526
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=103666
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=671923

wyntrout
02-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I bought a cheap set(Under $20) and it works well with shotguns or clapping your hands, but it was kind of weak on noise reduction for hand-cannons... and I wear earplugs as well... with regular earmuff rated at 29 or 30 dB noise reduction.
My set seemed a little slow with large centerfire pistols. I can't say how that would relate to the ones you're considering, though. I guess it's one of those things where you get what you pay for. I was ordering a bunch of stuff from Sportsman's guide to get to use a coupon and threw that on the order.

Wynn:)

ruf45
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I dont know anything about those. I have a dillion set that work great and i use all the time

joshh
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
both say they block over 82db and reduce 22db

ruf45
02-05-2011, 09:24 PM
sounds like they would work ok. the price seems good

AFVet
02-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I just bought a pair of the Leight muffs myself. Haven't been to the range with them yet so no feedback yet.

Bawanna
02-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I have that version of the Peltor. Had them quite awhile. They work very well for me. I wear a hearing aid and have big ears (not quite Dumbo but close). I find it difficult to find them with big enough cups to cover the ears without looking like I was a pro wrestler.
Without the hearing aid I'm stone deaf so I have to leave it in to hear anything at all. I dial the muffs up high as they go and between the block in the muffs and the block in the hearing aid all the harmful loud stuff is blocked.

When there is a lull in the shooting I can even sometimes hear conversation, something I sometimes ain't good at even in my living room.

Battery must last a long time too, I've not replaced mine yet and had them at least 3 years.

CPO15
02-06-2011, 03:12 AM
I have the Peltor model as well; you get what you pay for. The do a good job of muffling gunshots and allow for normal conversation. Occasional static occurs but is not annoying, just wish it wouldn't happen. Changing batteries is a b@*ch, and it is easy to find that the on/off/vol switch has been activated during storage. If I had it to do over again, I'd invest in the more expensive models.

Do a Google search for "reviews" for the model you want, what I found on the Peltors was accurate. I'm happy with these, just think I'd be happier with a more expensive model.

jlottmc
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a set that I got from CTD, I like them. They work well enough for me, my ears don't ring after I shoot on an indoor range.

earle8888
02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Yep, changing batteries is not fun. Mine are Radians. Had them for many moons. Uses 3 triple A on each side. Need a screwdriver to change.

Ol'coot
02-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a three sets of the cheap Caldwell E-max (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=774928) electronic earmuffs, The wife and I used them all the time and we have a extra set for when we take a guest with us to the range and to be perfectly honest we have been very satisfied with them. They work very well allowing normal conversation to be easily heard but protect well during firing. They use standard AAA batteries and they last a long time. A huge improvement of the the not active muff we previously used. We purchase them when they were on sale at Midway for about the cost of the non-electric models. They have stereo mics so it is easy to tell which direction a sound is coming from. I would recommend them to any of my friends.

robmcd
02-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I use Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold electronic muffs with a NRR of 33. They are the highest rated muffs on the market, and use unique circuitry that excludes excessive sounds without switching the mics off. Pricey, but what is your hearing worth?

joshh
02-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I use Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold electronic muffs with a NRR of 33. They are the highest rated muffs on the market, and use unique circuitry that excludes excessive sounds without switching the mics off. Pricey, but what is your hearing worth?

$290! ouch! more than i wanna spend for muffs i'll only use few times per month at best.

joshh
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I just bought a pair of the Leight muffs myself. Haven't been to the range with them yet so no feedback yet.

let us know how they work for you. thanks

Bawanna
02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

My hearing is worth not very much at all. You present a very good and valid thought.
My hearing was not damaged by shooting, although in the early days maybe so, an occasional slip, muffs not in place and a big gun got lit off. Mostly construction and equipment that got me starting from a tractor in my youth no doubt.
We had a gutter installer who put on his ear plugs, had those kind like a stethoscope, he put them on everytime he drove a gutter nail. But he could hear grass grow.
If I'd worn earmuffs everytime I drove a nail I'd have been wearing them alot.

Hearings a terrible thing to lose, given the choice between getting vertical and being able to hear I think I'd pick hearing first without question. Take care of it................

TD2K
02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I bought a set, gave about $100 for em, but well worth it IMO.

However, when I shoot The Judge, I wear inners in addition to my outer elec ones. It's THAT. LOUD.

joshh
02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
I have a three sets of the cheap Caldwell E-max (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=774928) electronic earmuffs, The wife and I used them all the time and we have a extra set for when we take a guest with us to the range and to be perfectly honest we have been very satisfied with them. They work very well allowing normal conversation to be easily heard but protect well during firing. They use standard AAA batteries and they last a long time. A huge improvement of the the not active muff we previously used. We purchase them when they were on sale at Midway for about the cost of the non-electric models. They have stereo mics so it is easy to tell which direction a sound is coming from. I would recommend them to any of my friends.

those look good and the price is great. do they fold up? i may order a set.

monkeyapeman
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) Greens. Working full time at a gun range I definitely can appreciate the importance of good hearing protection. Although the protection that these muffs is adequate for outdoor shooting or a quick trip to the indoor range, the protection just isn't there for extended sessions especially as an instructor. However the quality of sound at low levels is nice. I use mine in combustion with surefire earpro sonic defenders and the protection is adequate for intruction. For the price the value is definitely high. Good luck

Ol'coot
02-09-2011, 05:14 AM
those look good and the price is great. do they fold up? i may order a set.

Yes, they do fold up the muffs store inside the headband. I originally only purchased one and the first time the wife and I went to the range it and she tried them out it was clear that she had commandeered them so the next time that they were on sale I ordered 2 additional sets, We shoot at least once a week and have been using them for well over a year now on the original set of batteries.

garyb
02-09-2011, 06:46 AM
I use Walker's Game Ears - Quad Muffs. They are very effective on the range. If you do any turkey or deer hunting, you will appreciate hearing a turkey gobble a mountain away ( up to 9X normal hearing) and having digital quality directional hearing. The volume is adjustable on each ear and also can be adjusted for your specific hearing frequency. The batteries are inexpensive and found at local drug stores. Batteries are very easy to change and have lasted me about 2 years/pr. The hearing protection is excellent and the sound shut off is very responsive and fast.

One problem I have heard, but have not experienced myself, is that if you pull the muffs apart too far (big heads) you can snap the plastic band between the ear muffs. I don't know why they make them out of plastic instead of metal, because these are not cheap hearing devices (relative to other muffs on the market) and the rest of the device is quality. I do know that they will replace the band if it breaks, but that is a hassle.

I let a buddy of mine try them while turkey hunting last year. He could hear turkeys respond when I could not. He was impressed by the high frequency sounds (ie., birds, leaves crunch, etc...) he could not hear without the muffs on. He immediately went out and purchased a pair. He uses them for IDPA shoots and turkey hunting.

I even use mine for gun deer season, because I can hear so much better, they keep my ears warm, and they protect my ears when hunting. Normally hunters do not want to protect their ears because they would not be able to hear the game coming their way. However, the Walker's Quads change all that. They come in camo or black. If you want the directional hearing be sure to get the Quads. On the quads there are forward and rear microphones. With some muffs there is only one mic on each muff and you can hear, but you are not certain where the sound is coming from.

I purchased mine from Natchez Shooting Supplies. They often have sales on them. I am sure there are good devices on the market that are less expensive if you only need them for hearing protection on the range.
Just some input. Good luck with your selection.

oldjarhead
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I have the Peltor like you and have had them for about four years. No problems so far.

joshh
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
thanks for all the feedback. i intend to use them at an indoor range. i usually wear standard muffs or plugs outside but indoors the electronic ones would make a conversation much easier when others are shooting. i dont wear muffs or plugs when i hunt but in ma its shotgun only and i dont get out often anyway.

johncranack
07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Pretty good ear muffs. Looking nice and affordable price. Thanks for sharing with us.

mec reloaders (http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,198.html) | alliant powder (http://www.recobstargetshop.com)

cgo99
07-27-2011, 04:17 AM
I've had mine for about six months and no problems so far, I bought them mostly to shoot my rifle since the have a thiner profile since then my other muffs are just collecting dust.

This video review in amazon sold me on them.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R16YG7R1B1FW0O/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001T7QJ9O&nodeID=228013&tag=&linkCode=

steve666
08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
I've owned a couple of sets. My only problem with them is that at my local indoor range they are constantly cutting in, which kind of negates their purpose and makes for difficult conversation.

johnh
08-12-2011, 06:50 AM
The non-electronic plugs made by Surefire work pretty well if you are on a budget:

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

My only issue is that one of my ears apparently has an oddly shaped canal, and I had a hard time getting the plug to stay in. I have the same problem with ear buds for MP3 players and such. My friends who use the Sonic Defenders have no such issues. The result is much like an electronic head set. In my normal ear, it worked very well. I probably need to mix plug sizes but I don't want to by two sets to experiment.

gagnejs8
08-12-2011, 08:39 AM
I've had mine for about six months and no problems so far, I bought them mostly to shoot my rifle since the have a thiner profile since then my other muffs are just collecting dust.

This video review in amazon sold me on them.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R16YG7R1B1FW0O/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001T7QJ9O&nodeID=228013&tag=&linkCode=

I have the same pair. The work great.

TucsonMTB
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
The non-electronic plugs made by Surefire work pretty well if you are on a budget:

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

My only issue is that one of my ears apparently has an oddly shaped canal, and I had a hard time getting the plug to stay in. I have the same problem with ear buds for MP3 players and such. My friends who use the Sonic Defenders have no such issues. The result is much like an electronic head set. In my normal ear, it worked very well. I probably need to mix plug sizes but I don't want to by two sets to experiment.
Hey John!

Thanks for the link! These look great. I will probably get a pair or two, even though I have a set of custom molded plugs that cost easily three times as much. My wife, who never goes to gun shows, thus does not have a set mold to her ears like mine, will probably enjoy using them.

It is amazingly pleasant to have effective ear protection that does not make your head sweat profusely in the Arizona summer sun! :D