PDA

View Full Version : Cut 8 rd mag down to 7

Indigo
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
A lot of people don't care for the 8 rd 9mm mags myself included and I have 3 with gun purchase that go unused. The spring has same width between folds as the 7 rd so that's easy just cut 2 lengths off. Only part I'm concerned with is the small wings of metal on bottom that hold the plastic end cap on anyone have a suggestion how to make those? I was thinking cut off length in front and back but leave wings long but I don't have metal shop equipment to fold the wings 90' before cutting them down any suggestions?

jocko
02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
sounds like alot of work and sounds like marginally successful to..

Indigo
02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I had a couple of eight round magazines that I also had no use for. I sold one and traded one for a seven round magazine. People do want them, just not me (and you).

I wouldn't try to modify one and depend on it. Unless you have a brake/press, I doubt you'll ever get the bends correct and parallel to enable the magazine base plate to slide on and hold. And you're dealing with stainless which isn't as easy to bend as light steel.

This is unlike the seven round extended magazines that come with the MK/PM series pistols with that same clunky magazine base. That magazine base can be cut down, allowing the seven round magazine to be used in a K/P series pistol.

Yeah the brake press I remembered from shop class couldn't think of the name. I have the tools to cut length and smooth just not that. Jocko I agree it's a total crap shoot I just wanted to try cause they aren't helping me now anymore than if they were in 14 pieces. But if anybody wants to trade sevens for eights let me know they are barely used. Thanks guys.

Indigo
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Put an ad in the classifieds, that's how I got rid of mine. Or, you could maybe buy new seven round tubes from KAHR (?). The springs could probably be cut to length, use the same follower, lock and base plate.

Use the eight round tubes for geek pocket pencil holders...

I thought of that but I think that's the only part NOT on their website. I'll call and see what they say I'm curious what they cost since the spring and plastic parts add up to the entire cost of a new one. That must mean the steel tubes are free.

gb6491
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I was thinking cut off length in front and back but leave wings long but I don't have metal shop equipment to fold the wings 90' before cutting them down any suggestions?
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-flat-jaw-welding-pliers-93062.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/6-inch-jaw-straight-sheet-metal-seamer-98728.html
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM211697466P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM211697466
Regards,
Greg

Tilos
02-07-2011, 11:43 AM
I believe you are over thinking this, a small precision vise with smooth jaws is a great tool for bending like this.
A hacksaw or jeweler's saw would be all you would need to do the cutting, prior to bending.
Leave the taps long and file to fit the base plate AFTER bending.
just sayin'
Tilos

Indigo
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I believe you are over thinking this, a small precision vise with smooth jaws is a great tool for bending like this.
A hacksaw or jeweler's saw would be all you would need to do the cutting, prior to bending.
Leave the taps long and file to fit the base plate AFTER bending.
just sayin'
Tilos

That's what I meant when I said wings or whatever I just didn't word it all that clearly. I was just about to put a classified ad up until you and Greg posted on here. Thanks Greg. There's no way to tell on these magazines how stiff and bendable the metal is without first cutting something so I didn't want to destroy it until I had to. I think I'm going to mess with it now and if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Indigo
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Emailed Kahr and got a quick response in 10 min. However, they won't sell just the metal tube. You can buy all the plastic and springs for the same cost as a whole magazine but you just can't buy the steel piece. I love Kahr. But that seems unjustifiably illogical.

blacksmith
02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
I shortened a S&W 4516 magazine with success.

Dremel tool, propane torch.

ripley16
02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
I think it would be much easier to swap them for other mags, sell them outright or just use them at the range as is. Can't have too many mags at the range, IMHO.

jpshaw
02-12-2011, 10:40 AM
What is the issue with the 8 round mags anyway? I just ordered one and now I'm thinking I screwed up. Do they have reliability issues or what?

jocko
02-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I think it would be much easier to swap them for other mags, sell them outright or just use them at the range as is. Can't have too many mags at the range, IMHO.

would be the best idea and advice one could give me. I could probalby screw up a wet dream, but there are some people who see the challenge and also have the background to be able to pullit off to. I would not attempt that, as the dollars saved (if it worked) would not be worth te work that went into it

But my hat is off to anyone who did this mod:third: