PDA

View Full Version : a new p45 owner

madwill
11-14-2009, 05:51 PM
while contemplating between a cw45 and a p45 one of the owners looked at the tag on the p45 a said "hold on, i'll be right back". he checked his records and the p45, apparently, had been on the shelf of quite a while. to make the choice easier he knocked $100 off of the p45 on the spot! so, for only $50 more than the cw45 i put the handgun on layway. fastforward a month. i now have just picked it up. i field stripped it then inspected and cleaned the parts. after reassembly i tried it out. only a few minor problems to report:

out of 50 rounds i had two failure to failures to feed, both on the last round and both from the same magazine. also, i had 3 false batteries. when inserting a loaded mag it would trip the slide release before the slide was in position resulting in no round being chambered. at first i thought it was a FTF. click,but, no bang. i checked the mag and it was still full. then i checked the chamber to make sure no round was loaded. reinserted the mag, released the and all was well. one time it did fail to go into battery. the slide stopped 1/4" short on the last round of a mag. after a minute of examination (mindful of the live round in the chamber) i tapped the slide back into battery and the round fired properly. again, this has happened only once. aside from the teething pains the gun is a pleasure to shoot. i was expecting more bark for a lightweight 45. 50 rounds in one session and no soreness or discomfort. the cherckering never bothered me as i work in a paper mill and have tough palms from handling paper all day.

Underdog
11-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Most kahr's need a 200-300 round break-in period before they start functioning well. Clean and lube after every trip to the range and it should serve you well. I've had my eye on a CW45 for a few weeks now, but most likely I will wait till after the holidays to get it. Congrats on yours and good luck with it.

shootinbil
11-15-2009, 05:54 AM
I have the P45 about a month now. I paid $399.99 for it used and put about 150 round through it. It's a great gun.

Longitude Zero
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM
My CW45 had a few malfunctions in the first 100 rounds. After about 250-300 it smoothed out and nary a problem since then. Kahr's very definitely require a break in period.

jocko
11-15-2009, 11:45 AM
madwill. just more rounds down range and most of that report will just fade away. The gun needs some break in or some mating of parts. Break it in with fmj ammo to get it reliable, keep the rails greased and if u can just sit there and rack the slide about 500 times, this helps break in without the bang thing. Check the feed ramp to see if it looks polished or could use a polishing. Very easy to do and sure helps feed issues. Nice gun, be patient with it and it will all come to you..

madwill
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
thank you for the advice, guys :)
i'm not complaining really. i've researched the kahrs. i had an idea of what i was buying. aside from the few feed problems the firing and ejection have been fine. also, i love how it handles when fired. i thought i was firing a 9mm. the recoil was far less than i thought a 20oz 45acp would be.

madwill
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
i just put another 50 down range today. the gun has one quirk: a hairtrigger slide release. putting in a loaded mag too hard trips the slide release and closes the slide before it will chamber a round. aside from that it works great! :) no FTF or FTE. i just have to remember to keep my thumb on the slide release when reloading.....

jocko
11-16-2009, 12:14 AM
i just put another 50 down range today. the gun has one quirk: a hairtrigger slide release. putting in a loaded mag too hard trips the slide release and closes the slide before it will chamber a round. aside from that it works great! :) no FTF or FTE. i just have to remember to keep my thumb on the slide release when reloading.....

of my kahrs (PM9 and K9) will release if I slam the magazne in loaded. If I insert more slowly, it is OK, eithe rway is OK for me. Some love the slide going forward upon slamming a magazine in. (kid of a tactical reload). My g19 will also release if I slam it home, ...

That also might even shoot itself out of that little quirk to as things break and mate in better to.

Just keep rounds going down range and u should love that 45....

actually the thumb on the slide release when reloading is not a bad idea either...

madwill
11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
well, the p45 has passed the 200 rounds mark. it's a great handgun. all but one of the problems have gone away: the hair trigger slide release when loading a full magazine. anyone have any suggestions?

jocko
11-22-2009, 06:16 AM
well, the p45 has passed the 200 rounds mark. it's a great handgun. all but one of the problems have gone away: the hair trigger slide release when loading a full magazine. anyone have any suggestions?

PM sent...

madwill
11-25-2009, 07:58 AM
it looks like my mag release spring is too tight and not allowing the mag catch to depress fully unless it's forcefully held down. i changed my grip when reloading and depress the mag release button when inserting a full mag. this seems to aleviate the problem.

Cappy
11-25-2009, 02:30 PM
My p45 was my first Kahr, and it has been a great gun. Nice to conceal too. Due to its light weight, you will find it kicks a bit more than a Sig (or other 2 pound+ pistols). However, it is a lot easier to carry IWB. I had some minor stove piping when I first got it, but not really anymore. Once you get 500 rounds through it, it is rather smooth.

jocko
11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
it looks like my mag release spring is too tight and not allowing the mag catch to depress fully unless it's forcefully held down. i changed my grip when reloading and depress the mag release button when inserting a full mag. this seems to aleviate the problem.

just sitting there and pushing that mag button about 500 time s to see if that eases up any. All kahr mag springs are exactly the same, maybe the mag just needs to be inserted about a 100 times to wear in that mag release button correctly. It will with time and usage do what it is supposed to do....

Jim K
11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
After all the problems are fixed give it another 200 rounds before you trust it.

Jim K
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
just sitting there and pushing that mag button about 500 time s to see if that eases up any. All kahr mag springs are exactly the same, maybe the mag just needs to be inserted about a 100 times to wear in that mag release button correctly. It will with time and usage do what it is supposed to do....
Wear in a mag release button? LOL. Some thing is out of Spec.

Madwill, Send it back to Kahr with the magazines. They have a good service Dept. and may fix it. Have them pay for shipping.

jocko
11-26-2009, 07:08 AM
could be a burr on the magazine slide button that just needs to smooth out. U don't know that and I don't either, everything is out of spec for u. Last resort is to send it back...

If it doesn't work itself out of it with more magazine insertions etc, call kahr and have them send u a new magazine release.

Jim K
11-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm sure that Kahr does not specify magazine release buttons that do not work. If parts pass QC with extra features like burrs than the part is out of Spec.

You can say that these parts need breaking in loud and often but that line is still B.S.

Kahr pistols are touted as top of the line and they are if they work.
The customer should not have to do the QC work for the company.

Kahr has an excellent service Dept. and a person could be time and money ahead if they take advantage of their guarantee.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jim K

jocko
11-27-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm sure that Kahr does not specify magazine release buttons that do not work. If parts pass QC with extra features like burrs than the part is out of Spec.

You can say that these parts need breaking in loud and often but that line is still B.S.

Kahr pistols are touted as top of the line and they are if they work.
The customer should not have to do the QC work for the company.

Kahr has an excellent service Dept. and a person could be time and money ahead if they take advantage of their guarantee.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jim K

an autombile yet that was not told to keep it under certain rpm's for so many miles etc. Humm wonder what the hell that was for??? Probably in ur eyes,indeed B. S. to.

Jim K
11-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Jocko,

The analogy of A Khar pistol and an automobile is interesting. In short, that dog won't come out from under the porch.

If you insist on that analogy please consider that I never had an automobile that I had to drive 200 miles to make sure the doors did not fall off. The owners manual on my automobile advises not to tow anything for the 1st 1000 miles. That's all. I guess I should not tow anything with my P9 pistol? Perhaps I should avoid cyclic rates above 1200 rounds per minute?

I don't want to fight with you, I just want to understand that I'm calling BS.

For the money that Kahr gets for their products they should be flawless right out of the box. 200 rounds to prove the weapon without a hiccup before it can be trusted. If it fails during that initial 200 round proof test then there is something wrong. Send it back.

Happy Holidays, Jim K

jocko
11-27-2009, 05:05 PM
oh yes ur want to argue, but heh, ur the man, I am just learning from all ur knowledge. Humm wonder what that means not to tow anything for rthe 1st 1000 miles. Probably a bunch of B. S.

Your the man in my book, no doubt about it..course that could be a bunch of B. S. also..

Jim K
11-27-2009, 07:14 PM
oh yes ur want to argue, but heh, ur the man, I am just learning from all ur knowledge. Humm wonder what that means not to tow anything for rthe 1st 1000 miles. Probably a bunch of B. S.

Your the man in my book, no doubt about it..course that could be a bunch of B. S. also..
200 rounds to proof test the weapon. Any failure within that test indicates a defect.

Properly made parts of a pistol should not need to be rubbed together to achieve fit.

If good machine work and quality control is beyond the manufacturers' capability than I suggest that the manufacturer supply enough ammo to prove the weapon for 200 contiguous and trouble free cycles. Just let the customer know that they are doing the QC work.

Life is good, --- ---.

mr surveyor
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
hhhmmmmm... I've never had a problem with working through recommended "break-in" procedures with any mechanical device. Handguns, rifles, cars, pick-up trucks, tractors, outboard motors. But, I grew up in the days of having to drive below 50 miles per hour for the first 1500 miles, then change out the break in oil.... or run the new outboard engine at low idle for the first 3-4 hours, then another 3-4 hours at no more than half throttle. I've had Rugers, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, and other "high quality" handguns that needed several hundred rounds of work to either get the extremely tight tolerance parts melded together, and rifles that needed to be "fire lapped" to get the roughness out of the lands and grooves before they were "right".

Obviously, the auto industry has come a long way in the last 20-30 years, as I don't recall any suggested break-in recommended procedures, but many other mechanical devices still do... and it's worth the trouble, in my opinion.

surv

jocko
11-28-2009, 06:11 AM
hhhmmmmm... I've never had a problem with working through recommended "break-in" procedures with any mechanical device. Handguns, rifles, cars, pick-up trucks, tractors, outboard motors. But, I grew up in the days of having to drive below 50 miles per hour for the first 1500 miles, then change out the break in oil.... or run the new outboard engine at low idle for the first 3-4 hours, then another 3-4 hours at no more than half throttle. I've had Rugers, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, and other "high quality" handguns that needed several hundred rounds of work to either get the extremely tight tolerance parts melded together, and rifles that needed to be "fire lapped" to get the roughness out of the lands and grooves before they were "right".

Obviously, the auto industry has come a long way in the last 20-30 years, as I don't recall any suggested break-in recommended procedures, but many other mechanical devices still do... and it's worth the trouble, in my opinion.

surv

10-4 on that, especially in high dollar rifles, the "
fire lapped" thing is a given.

Normally cars today do not need break in oil as the multi viscosity takes care of that. backin the old days of straight weight oils, indeed new cars left the lot with 10W in them to get broken in properly. Today most of the european cars run 0-40w right from the git go . i have owned quit a few German cars, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi and every dealer that I bought from recommended 200-500 mile normal driving breakin..(common sense driving) course to some that would be B. S. also.

madwill
11-28-2009, 02:14 PM
well, not to get into the ever ongoing debate about the 200 round break in period i'll say that aside from the slide prematurely closing when loading a full magazine i'm very happy with the handgun and talk about accuracy! i wasn't expecting to get 1" groupings with a short barreled .45 :)

Jim K
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM

It's obvious you do have a lot to learn. That's not BS.

If a pistol has problems like magazines dropping out, FTE's, FTF's, jams, hair trigger sllide release, and other mechanical problems then it's not serviceable. Period. A weapon with these issues can not be trusted. Shoot it like you stole it but don't trust your life to it. If it needs more rounds down range than it is a range pistol (read toy), not a self defense weapon. If YOU do than it confirms my suspicions.

Life is good. Defend it with a real weapon.

jocko
11-29-2009, 01:47 AM
aw ha,words spoken from THE MAN. for all to heed...

and that my friends is no B. S.....

I think we need a sticky on this forum titled: WHAT WOULD JIM K THINK.. It would save alot of time looking on all the threads for his words of wisdom...FWIW

Jim K
11-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Damn. Hurt Jocko's feelings. Again.

Sorry bout that, Jim K

madwill
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
per the letter kahr sent with the gun:
Action Taken: replaced slide stop spring, slide stop, mag catch, follower, recoil spring. lubed. test fired good.

the slide release feels nice and tight again. i'm going to reset the break-in count back to zero since all but the firing spring had been replaced.

i can't wait to test it out. :)