PDA

View Full Version : Better Shooting

johnatw
11-15-2009, 07:15 AM
I've been struggling improving accuracy with my CW40 since day one. I was fairly consistant hitting the target, but felt something was off. I blamed the gun, myself, the weather, and the phase of the moon. Finally had my eyes checked, had cataracts, had one on my right eye removed and everything improved one week after surgery. Left eye coming soon.
Getting old ain't for sissies!

11-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I clearly know that program! I have bifoculs and need to hold my head up when shooting so I can see through them. If I do not do this, The front sight is just one big blurr!

I am told I can go to an eye doctor who will set up a pair of glasses for me especially for shooting. I should probably take that advice!

The CW's are pretty good guns aren't they? I shot a friends CW9 and was very impressed!

johnatw
11-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I would go for the glasses ASAP I'm glad I went to the eye DR.

johnatw
11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Did not finish my reply before sending. I really like the CW40, shoots well and is easy to carry.

mr surveyor
11-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I made the mistake (for me) of having lasic surgery about 5 years ago. At the time I was about 20/2000, or -11 or so in both eyes. Had worn rigid contacts for 30+ years and had near 20/20 corrected vision and only rarely needed mild reading glasses for close stuff. Actually, I could take out a contact and read the names of the states printed on the parapet of the building shown on the back of a $5 bill without a magnifier. The best the lasic could do for me (not enough cornea to do enhancements) was around 20/600, so I'm still wearing the rigid contacts, and immediately after recovery from the surgery had to wear readers. Now, it's a combination of the rigid contacts for nearsightedness AND 1.75 readers just to be able to see to drive. It takes a combination of up to 2.75 readers on top of the contacts to read, and a magnifier to read a medicine bottle.

I have worked on teaching myself point shooting, but now I'm at the stage where I'm considering some professional training to improve on that. The idea of having some bright night sights on my CW9 is verey appealing though.

You folks (probably not many here as would be indicated by our "age thread") with uncorrected 20/20 vision should never take that blessing for granted.

surv

wagon
11-15-2009, 12:36 PM
So true, Mr Surv.

I have always been near sighted, I remember the days when I began to UNABLE to see clearly what the radar detector was showing, or the speedo, or the stupid blurry golf ball on the tee- unless I looked over/under the rim of my eyeglasses, I thought I just need a new lens... .. only then I found I have bi-focal, which is not fun...

You folks (probably not many here as would be indicated by our "age thread") with uncorrected 20/20 vision should never take that blessing for granted.

surv

Dietrich
11-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I`ve been wearing glasses for so long that I can`t remember what it was like not to wear them.I guess we should be thankful we live in an age where failing eyesight is easily corrected most of the time. My baby blues have held steady at the same prescription for the past eight years.Keeping my fingers crossed.

500KV
11-15-2009, 02:13 PM
When I shoot I wear reading glasses which allows me to see the sights but the target is somewhat blurred.

On my last trip to the eye doc. he told me I had cataracts on both eyes but I would need to wait another 2 years before having them removed. Seems they need to reach a certain stage before removal.
For those of you who have had the procedure done, does this diagnosis seem correct?

mr surveyor
11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I think I'll start a new thread and share a "trick" :)

surv

wagon
11-15-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm exactly the opposite, 500KV. I have bi-focal and I work in front of the computer all day, I've found it is better off to work without wearing any eye glasses, and since I can never get used to those "progressive lens" I have switched back to single vision for several years now ..

Nowadays I just read/work without eye glasses, while the near-sighted prescription lens is on me for the rest of time. When it comes shooting, I have to drop my chin so that I can aim above the rim of the eyeglasses, but the effect is same as yours: front sight is clear but the target is very blurr.

Close range within 25 yd is fine. But when I rifle shooting with iron sight, 50 yd is borderline, 75 yd and out the target is just a blurry dark thing.... I have to rely on the rifle scope to shoot those yardages... I have a 2-7x for some time now, but I am thinking of getting a 1-4x for faster acquisition.

When I shoot I wear reading glasses which allows me to see the sights but the target is somewhat blurred.

Rob Longenecker
11-15-2009, 10:26 PM

On my last trip to the eye doc. he told me I had cataracts on both eyes but I would need to wait another 2 years before having them removed. Seems they need to reach a certain stage before removal.
For those of you who have had the procedure done, does this diagnosis seem correct?

I wouldn't wait unless insurance approval is the issue.
I had cataracts removed from both eyes and had "RESTORE" lenses implanted instead of the normal clear cataract replacement lenses. Insurance paid for the cataract surgery but I had to pay another $5k for the lenses.

I literally have new eyes. The world is sharp and clear and colorful again.
I can see my front sight and see clearly at infinity. Well worth the money.

500KV
11-16-2009, 07:13 AM
I literally have new eyes. The world is sharp and clear and colorful again.
I can see my front sight and see clearly at infinity. Well worth the money.

Good info. Rob and a great outcome.

The ophthalmologist did an exam. and an ultrasound but since they weren't really affecting my farsightedness, I guess he wanted to wait awhile.
Heck I just buy reading glasses at WW and they work fine for my immediate problem; just not very good for the range.

johnatw
11-16-2009, 08:05 AM
That maybe correct. They told me 18 months ago that I had cataracts, but at that time they were not ready to come off. I had no idea that was the problem when I went in for the last eye exam.