PDA

View Full Version : E9 at local shop

frank_drebin
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
I ran across an E9 at my local shop today. I have only owned poly Kahrs to this point. The gun felt awesome in my hands but was definitely heavier than my PM40. They are asking $385 dfor it which means I can offer $350 and probably get it.

Anybody have one of these and what opinion do you have of it? Is that a fiat price for a parkerized E9?

ripley16
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
The E9 is an early model, an economy K9 so to speak, made with a carbon steel slide instead of stainless, and less desirable sights, but is still a very high quality pistol. $350 sounds fair to me if the gun is in good condition. You say it is parkerized, I've never seen or heard of a parkerized Kahr. That would be very carry worthy IMHO.

frank_drebin
02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks ripely. I am going to go have another look at it armed with the knowledge that it was a $400 gun when new. Hopefully I can talk them down to $300.

eastenn
02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Take the cash with you, GOOD LUCK!

jocko
02-18-2011, 05:53 AM
I would bet it has been refinished in the pakrerized finish. Kahr to my knowledge did not put out such a gun. Not a bad thing if it looks ok. Won't wear ay better than a good blued finish but might look combative if that flaots your boat. Any chance the dealer will let you test it out or if you buy it give you 30 days fll return in cash spent. This is an older model kahr as u well know. I would not pay his asking price . Offer him $300 with the above terms and see what come sout of his mouth. I would not tell you to stay away from it but at his asking price I would say that. If the gun has to go back for any thing at all, u just ate up a $100 in postage and service from kahr. something to think aboput. This is a non stainless slite and frame also, something to thing about.

skychief12
02-18-2011, 06:36 AM
I purchased an E9 at a gun show last year. I wanted to get something that was not poly. It has turned out to be a very fine shooter with an outstanding trigger. It has a flat black finish which looks parkerized to me as well. I haven't been able to convince myself that dealing it for a K9 would give me something any better. I am in the process of ordering extra parts to save up for future maintenance needs. It looks to me like Kahr is starting to phase out the E9 parts from their inventory IMHO.

frank_drebin
02-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Skycheif, are E9 parts not interchangable with K9 parts? That would be a deal killer for me for sure.

skychief12
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Check out the Kahr Store. Some parts are the same. Then again there are parts with only an E9 part number. There must be some differences in the grip dimensions too. Kahr told me that the CT laser grips that fit the K9 will not work on the E9.

jocko
02-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I purchased an E9 at a gun show last year. I wanted to get something that was not poly. It has turned out to be a very fine shooter with an outstanding trigger. It has a flat black finish which looks parkerized to me as well. I haven't been able to convince myself that dealing it for a K9 would give me something any better. I am in the process of ordering extra parts to save up for future maintenance needs. It looks to me like Kahr is starting to phase out the E9 parts from their inventory IMHO.

may be right on that flat black finish. I guess my thinking of parkerizedf was the military brownish color and not flat black. I think the E9 did come with a flat black finish, certaihnly no high gloss finish. Someday those E9 parts are going get very hard to find . :banplease:

frank_drebin
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
hmmm, I will have to take a look at them side-by-side. Hard to imagine they are any different than a K9. Aside from the finish and some of the details on the slide they appear identical. I was thinking it was like a CW9 v/s P9 in that respect.

jocko
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I have heard that the grips won't interchange, possably the drillholes are off. The guns basically look the same but a 1000's here and there is just enough to not fit and work.

frank_drebin
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Here's one on Gunbroker if you've never seen one before.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=216717007

jocko
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
yup sure is a big differenc ein the two gun models. The e9 version is a standard flat sided lower frame and what is that protrusion under the slide lock lever on that E9???

Now look at the K9, the lower frame is scalloped, to me looking really nicer when compared side by side and that protrusion under the slide lock lever is gone to.

Some of you E9 owners can clue me in on this protrusion part...

frank_drebin
02-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, but I really like the no-nonsense look of that gun.

ripley16
02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
The early K9 was "flat sided" too but the mystery protrusion is not on the early K9. Curiouer and curiouser. I wonder what it is too?

Here's a early blackened carbon steel K9
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/guns001.jpg

skychief12
02-19-2011, 07:38 AM
The screw head below the slide stop is a mystery. It is milled of inside the frame. I'm guessing it was used to machine something on the opposite side of the frame. I can see that there may be a hole behind the trigger bar that looks like it could line up.

frank_drebin
02-19-2011, 07:48 AM
look at the differences between these two E9's

I'm not sure which one my local gun is more akin to. I will go back and look :)

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/pix334066442.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/pix980408733.jpg

G31
07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
It must depend on the year it was made...my E9 (ser# BCO9xx) is identical to the K9, minus the pretty slide lines. The frame is the same, and K9 grips fit, etc. I think you better email Kahr and ask, rather than have a bunch of people guessing.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/G31/DSCF2537.jpg