PDA

View Full Version : +p+ oops?

jbt54321
11-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi first post. I have been lurking around here for awhile, and one of the post i came across mentioned not using +P+ in Kahr's. Well when i read on Kahrs website that my CW9 was rated for +P and i ignorantly figured that meant any type of +P and did not put any thought into the matter when i purchased some federal tactical hydro shocks 124gr +P+. Now i know the difference however after researching, Anyways i have shot i guess 43 rounds of it thru my Kahr last year saving the last 7 for my mag, and since have fired some umc ball with no issues whatsoever. So what i am wanting to know is, you guys opinions, is there anything i need to look for, be worried about, should i send it back to kahr. Or just hope everything is alright and not shoot anymore +P+? Everything appears to be functioning correctly, and looks unharmed with the pistol though. Thanks

500KV
11-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Here's a good read.

Overpressure ammunition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure_ammunition)

getsome
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi jbt4321, I'm also new to this site and the folks here are so nice and very helpful with answers to any questions or problems you might have...NOW about your pistol, It's absolutely completely totally trashed!!!:eek: You need to ship it to me so I can secure it and see to it that it's treated in a proper manner!!!!...Just kidding!!!...It should be ok as long as it still shoots without any problems, just don't shoot any more +p+ ammo...Heck standard pressure non +p 9mm is more than stout enough to cause a bad guy to reconsider his actions.....Welcome to Khartalk from another long time shooter, first time very happy Khar owner...:86:

jbt54321
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, i figured it would be okay i just did not know if i should check any parts. I read a post where someone said +p+ would blow the side panel out or something to that effect, i cant find the post again now though. I have also heard that Keltec 3AT's will blow up if you use Buffalo Bore non SAMMI spec ammo. So i just wanted to make sure i did not do anything too bad, hopefully it just caused a little excess wear and tear.

tv_racin_fan
11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Might not have even done that. There is no "spec" for +p+ ammo so it might be loaded to just above normal level or may be loaded well over +p level. Seeing that it was Federal ammo I doubt that it is loaded much over the normal +p level. You don't need the +p+ for sure and doubtful that you need the +p, I believe you are just making more flash/noise for very little energy/velocity gain.

Dietrich
11-27-2009, 10:23 AM
As TVRF said,you`re probably o.k. but don`t tempt fate.If you want some really good,dependable ammo,try Speer Gold Dot,Corbon DPX or Powerball,or my personal favorite,Remington Golden Saber.All perform beautifully in self defense situations and there are many other fine rounds out there in standard pressure and in +P. Take your time and do copious amounts of research. Once you`ve done that,you`ll have that much more confidence in your ability to protect that which is near and dear to you.Good luck.

stevehome
12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
You have to try the Cor Bon 230 grain HP. Shoot it into 3 or 4 water jugs and see how it expands! The 185 grainers also work great. I am a firm beleiver in the Cor Bon line. They would be considered +p Let me know what you think of them after shooting.

ripley16
12-11-2009, 05:28 AM
The first model Kahr, the K9, was designed to handle +P+ ammo and had a heavier recoil spring to accomodate it. If you use a steady diet of high velocity ammo, either +P or +P+, then you may want to install a heavier spring yourself. Wolff carries them.

Springs for KAHR ARMS Semi-Auto Pistols (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=29)

I suspect the lighter, polymer CW9 was quite a handful using that round. How did it handle with the hot ammo?

Any handgun will wear faster using hot ammo. Using practice ammo and periodically testing a small amount of your carry round will lengthen the life of the gun.

jocko
12-11-2009, 06:01 AM
never figured out why it is so important to shoot +P+ anything. It is more ad hype than anything else. All your good ammo in defense stuff is definitely +P and under. Most all good handguns will shoot +P ammo with ease...