PDA

View Full Version : gotta take her out

kyletx1911
02-20-2011, 03:52 AM
i miss shooting my tommy that was form the last shoot i went to going
to try to burn some at the end of the month (HEY GHOST AND B LET ME SEE YOURS)

Bawanna
02-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I just took some and sent them to my pard. They'll show up sometime soon. She gets a little dusty in her place of honor but I like looking at her so we just dust now and then.

I've been getting soft lately, might start packing it around and moving it to get a little weight lifting training going.

OldLincoln
02-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Here you go.

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1419.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1418.jpg

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/OldLincoln/Joes%20Pass%20Thru/DSCN1417.jpg

jocko
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
very cool, love the display. was that ur idea or an over the counter display...

Bawanna
02-20-2011, 07:22 PM
very cool, love the display. was that ur idea or an over the counter display...

I'm proud to say its my first design of anything that actually worked! It used to be about 6"'s longer on the barrel end but I cut if off so I could remove the top on that front case without disturbing the Chicago typewriter. That houses my High Power and my duffle bag GI Colt. I use it for making 1911 grips, (very carefully). It spends alot of time cover in sawdust on the bench but I cleaned her all up really good this morning while cleaning after range yesterday.

kyletx1911
02-20-2011, 07:25 PM
very very nice thanks

Bawanna
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Remarkable "man cave"! Thanks for sharing. :D

I think of it as an oasis. Its the one place in the whole world where I am in control. The rest of the house, the shop out back all out of my control. Put something down you may never see it again.
In "My Room" permission is sought to touch or take tools, or move things. I'm starting to lose it a little in my head but as crowded as it is out there I can put my finger on just about anything I remember I have.

I like it alot, I'm dang proud of my accumulations and I love to just spend time out there. Guess it takes the place of hiking the mountains and fishing the rivers for me and does it quite well.

Think I'll go there now and contemplate hole life or life as a hole.

wyntrout
02-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Did you guys see the Son of a Gun the other night when a sheriff brought a Tommy Gun to be "fixed" for their SWAT Team's use?? It was a replica semi-auto and when the shop got through with it, it looked nothing like a Tommy Gun, but it was tricked out with all kinds of rails and full-auto at about 800 rounds a minute. The SWAT Guys liked it, but it probably would have made you cry.

Wynn:)

Bawanna
02-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Swat guys are notorious for taking a proverbial thing of beauty and turning it into a Pelosi. Enough gadgets and doohickies the can't remember what does what.
And if you can make it an ugly abnormal color, so much the better.

Give me stainless, blued and walnut and I'll cross the river a happy man.

I tolerate the tupperware on my PM45 but sometimes that is challenging.

aray
02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Interesting coincidence that Sons of Guns and Top Shot both featured Tommy Guns this week. Would love to fire one - only seen them on TV. Well at least I have my Uzi when I want to blow through some ammunition quickly.

kyletx1911
02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Did you guys see the Son of a Gun the other night when a sheriff brought a Tommy Gun to be "fixed" for their SWAT Team's use?? It was a replica semi-auto and when the shop got through with it, it looked nothing like a Tommy Gun, but it was tricked out with all kinds of rails and full-auto at about 800 rounds a minute. The SWAT Guys liked it, but it probably would have made you cry.

Wynn:)nope didnt see it but after that i might want to(ok check that i saw it that was just sad)

Ghostsoldier
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Here's a few shots of me and mine....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/P5252468.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/My%20Impression%20stuff/My%20Weapons/IM000952.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/My%20Impression%20stuff/My%20Weapons/IM000949.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/My%20Impression%20stuff/My%20Weapons/IM000061.jpg

Rob

Bawanna
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Man, I know Dietrich invented the phrase but that makes my britches stick out in front.

I wanna to the SBR thing sooooo bad.

Those are just incredible pictures, should make posters out of them. I'd add on to my man cave so I got more wall space to hang them.

Tommys rock!

wyntrout
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
It might be a false memory, but I would swear that I got some C-rats ( I favored those over the chow hall, and ANYTHING canned from the States to drink, especially beer) with the little complimentary packs of Luckys like that... green and red boxes.
I had the beer and soda concession for our TDY contingent... 15¢ a can for either. Sodas and regular beer cost us $2.40 a case... premium beer was $2.75 a case. The soda-drinkers really bitched about that. We got free ice at the Marine camp up near Hill 327 west of Da Nang Air Base. I was a newly promoted SSGT (E-5) 1 Jan 1968, and at the end of the month I was Project NCO there. It turned out to be my best tour ever... sent my replacement back to Okinawa, and stayed for 70 days instead of 35 that time... during the First Tet offensive... lots of fireworks... very exciting.

As a matter of interest, that TDY I was carrying (illegally) $200 in greenbacks to try to purchase a real Tommy Gun from the South Vietnamese soldiers we saw on base. A lot of those guys carried them and I saw a few USAF guys with them slung over their shoulders. I never could get up enough nerve, though. I should have talked to the Marines, like some of my buddies did later. We flew back to Oki on mission birds and one of our NCOs was the customs inspector for stuff going back to the States when we left. That TDY, though, I had to take a Marine C-130 back to Oki and those suckers wanted to take my jungle fatigues and boots, but I said I was USAF and accountable for that stuff... Still have that stuff that was issued emergency-wise, as they wouldn't let the civilians back on base to open the laundry.:)

You would think that we -- the regular guys on base -- would have weapons of some kind issued, but the USAF left 90+% unarmed, unless you had a defense post as second duty. It was nice to have a personal sidearm on a base that had infiltrators and sapper penetration while I was there. As an aircrew NCO, I had an issue S&W .38 AND an M-16 with 7 mags that our project Officer, a 1st LT that time, brought me Tet evening... an attack was expected and our tent community was on the SW end of the base with two chain-link fences "protecting" us. The tents were porous to small arms fire, but we had bunkers close by and at least one MG tower above us. We had a ring-side view for a pretty good battle just south of us, early Tet morning, though it was pretty bright on base after the rockets or mortars hit the small arms and FLARE dump on the NW side of the base!

Sorry, I get carried away.:rolleyes:

Wynn:)

OldLincoln
02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Ha, Wynn...

When preflighting my KC-135 for the go home flight, the AC asked (with a twinkle) if we had a weight distribution concern, so I told him it's a couple hundred pouds heavy in the tail compartment, but nothing serious. He chuckled and added a tad down trim for flight.

Loved that TDY stuff, I could bring home enough serious booze to pay off all favors owed and more for future ones. I may have nipped a small amount now and then but was mostly dry.

wyntrout
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
As long as you follow the rules... no drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft... or was that smoking....

Wynn:D

wyntrout
02-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh, we could requisition the C-rats and the newer stuff for our flights out of Da Nang... no inflight meal kitchen for us. I remember us saving all of the beans from the meals... not the limas (hmmm, good) and combining them for a community treat... but too many "cooks" usually added too much Louisiana hot sauce. :D

We had gotten a list form and signatures of the two TDY groups and requisitioned supplies from the chowhall for eating on our own... one of the bennies... a bar-B-que for the outgoing and incoming... oops, that last word became relevant quickly... TDY crews over in our tent area. That was canceled due the higher priority of Charlie and a whole bunch of NVA regulars using that and the rest of the area for target practice. It was kind of exciting that morning after the festivities of the night, watching from the "relative safety" of my/our "command hut" with half-inch boards for the lower three feet of the "MASH" tents. Ours had a tin roof, while the others were just like Hawkeye and Trapper's. We could see the dirt being kicked up and the occasional thud of nearly spent rounds. Some of the guys got some souvenirs from the tents' wooden lowers.

I posted more of this episode months ago... or last year... one of my "war stories":

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3277&highlight=War+Stories

I've hijacked the thread enough. :blah: :rolleyes:

Wynn:D

Embalmer
03-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey ghostsoldier, your not from MA area are you?? You look identical to a WWII reenactor who does the memorial day parade here, that we get into a gun "noise competition with (civil war guns vs WWII guns) which to date we have 7 broken windows, and untold car alarms from our triple loaded shoulder cannons :)

Last time I took my tomy out, it was on a mission. To destroy the final reminders of an ex, and blasted away the remainig small items she left behind that I happened to find after a recent move... Made me feel a hell of alot better :D. stacked at bottom of stand some dvd's, stuffed animals, letters and other odds and ends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plJ6nnpJahQ

MikeyKahr
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Last time I took my tomy out, it was on a mission. To destroy the final reminders of an ex...

That's a great way to do it, and I wish I had a Tommy to do the same - I simply resorted to the good ol' bonfire.

Ghostsoldier
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey ghostsoldier, your not from MA area are you??

Nah...I'm from Florida....but, I hear that a lot: "I look like other people!" :D
Rob

Embalmer
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Nah...I'm from Florida....but, I hear that a lot: "I look like other people!" :D
Rob

I got to get a pic of the guy here on memorial day and post resemblance, with the same exact sbr gun with barrel ring no less, is incredible... LOL

Embalmer
03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Well mine got out for an educational display this weekend. Found itself on display with some of my minty wwii rifles in my collection (need an arisaka and italian bolt rifle).

Granted the long barrel is fugly, but least people got the jist of its size and weight.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff186/maninblue1861/IMAG0033-1.jpg

Ghostsoldier
03-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Beautiful display, Embalmer! :)
Rob