PDA

View Full Version : Help! Premature Slide Lock With a K40 Covert

rwb1500
02-21-2011, 11:42 PM
New guy here, I just bought my first Kahr and am having issues.
If this is a common thing just tell me to shut up and point me in the right direction.

I bought a K40 Covert, and after a little lube and clean I went right to the range. I shot 100 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Federal (both 180 gr fmj) and 50 rounds of Remington Golden Sabers. I don't think I got through a single magazine without the slide locking back before the gun was empty. I used both mags included with the gun, neither seemed to make a difference.

It's been suggested to me that maybe I'm bumping the slide stop with my thumb during recoil. This could be possible, and I'm going to try to get out and shoot it tomorrow to test this theory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to like this gun. I just need it to run first. Thanks!

jocko
02-21-2011, 11:50 PM
I would say it is your thumb hittng the slide lock lever. OR rounds are hitting on the iside of the slide stop lever and causng it but with so many different brands of ammo, I highly doubt if that was the issue.

Let someone else shoot it. or shoot it left handed and see what happens. Being it is the K model that is about the only two things that can cause it...

This is an old gun possably 1999 vintage. Kahr made a limited amount of covert K40 and I think they discontinued any more after 2001 . Is your gun a stainless or steel version. They supposably made it both ways in the covert back then. starting serial # DK**** In doing some reading up on the K40 covert, I am pretty sure that gun comes witht he NYPD trigger in it also.

The 40 cal has alot of recoil although the K models do wel lin 40 cal. Shooting it left handed will eliminate the thumb possability.

If it turns out it is ur thumb doing the slide locking, u have a real nice K40 covert my friend. I have never seen one and ur the first that I know of ever reporting owning one.

I know on the T models which is an all steel version that the left side where the slide stop lever is there is alittle springhy thing that snaps into the slide stop and that is what pushes it downward. Being this gun is an old version I am unfamiliar with the K models of that era, but look on the left side with the slide stop lever out of the gun and see if there is a little curly like small spring there. If that K40 has one on it, that little springhy might need tweeked or replaced even, as over the years I might have gotten bent. I just doubt if the K models had this little springhy though, . My bet yet it is your thumb... Keep us informed.

rwb1500
02-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Well I had the opportunity to shoot the gun again today. I'm definitely not bumping the slide stop. It appears that when I use the extended mags (only ones that came with the gun, no flush 5 round mags) gripping the bottom of the mag causes the top round in the mag to bump the slide stop pin. If I use 2 fingers to grip the gun it works great. I guess I need to get some flush mags.

I'm still not happy about it. A gun of this quality should work. It's not a Kel Tec, I didn't buy it so I could do my own gunsmithing.

Bawanna
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Its quick and easy to take just a bit off that slide stop pin so the bullets don't hit. With that gun I'd personally prefer the flush mags anyhow but with little effort the ones you have will work.

Your absolutely correct in that it's not a Kel Tec and thats a wonderful thing.

Your right, it should work and it will, just needs a tiny little tweek.

Don't lose faith so quickly, you got a really cool gun and many are very envious.

rwb1500
02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Its quick and easy to take just a bit off that slide stop pin so the bullets don't hit. With that gun I'd personally prefer the flush mags anyhow but with little effort the ones you have will work.

Your absolutely correct in that it's not a Kel Tec and thats a wonderful thing.

Your right, it should work and it will, just needs a tiny little tweek.

Don't lose faith so quickly, you got a really cool gun and many are very envious.

I do prefer flush mags, just didn't get any with the gun.

Recommended media for removing slide stop pin material? I'm not much of a do it yourself-er.

I guess I did give up too easily. I've just always been a Glock and wheel gun guy, I never had, to deal with issues like this before.

jocko
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
u also have an older gun, send the extended magazine back and ask kahr to exchange them for flush fit. With the k40 covert, you have a very short mag well and it has happened to PM models also that have been new. Any undue pressure on those extended magazines can cause whatyour getting. At least u were able to trouble shoot the issue. Just get flush fit mags and be done with it,. I have used my extended PM9 about 2 or 3 times in 4+ years of ownership. I never liked it and I bought the gun for ccw, so I just bougth another flush fit magazine.

at least now you can feel good about finding out it is not the gun or you totaly either. Nice gun, not alot of them around, certainly not alot for sale.

Bawanna
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I do prefer flush mags, just didn't get any with the gun.

Recommended media for removing slide stop pin material? I'm not much of a do it yourself-er.

I guess I did give up too easily. I've just always been a Glock and wheel gun guy, I never had, to deal with issues like this before.

A fine metal file or a piece of emery cloth. Just hit the spot were the bullets are touching, no more than you need to.
A dremel sanding drum if you have one will also work. Go easy with that you can remove alot pretty fast with those things.

It really shouldn't take much. You've already took the slide off, reinserted the slide stop and loaded a magazine so you can see exactly where to remove a little.

Being used I doubt kahr would exchange those mags as Jocko suggested but maybe so. I doubt they came with the gun originally so they wouldn't be obligated to swap, worth a shot. You could get a flush mag or two and use the extended for spares. Keeps the gun more concealable but have more fuel if you need a reload or less loading at the range.