PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Kahr (K9 Blackened)

vyse.04
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
After a day at the range where I tested a P45 and TP9 (mainly because I was originally wanting to buy a PM45), I ended up buying a used K9. I had issues with the range rentals (the P45 ended up getting sent back for repairs), but the trigger was as smooth as advertised and the firearms felt great. I still have another day to wait until I can go pick it up, but I am looking forward to another extended range session. Gotta love the three day waiting period.

The K9 has very little wear on the finish, and it doesn't look like it was fired much. Most of the wear actually came from the tag that was attached to it, but I don't really care how pretty it looks anyway. Looking at the barrel you would think it was a NIB gun, and to me that's where it really counts. I think the envelope said it was test fired near the end of 05, and it still had the case, manual, two magazines, and a lock as well.

I went in to look at the PM9 and PM45 (only had a CW45 at the shop), but the PM9 didn't fit my hand as well as I thought it would. It is much smaller than the pictures give it credit for, but it is still another nice firearm. I have also always been partial to metal frames over polymer, and I was surprised at how slim the K9 really was. The rubber grips filled my hand better than the P9 too so it was a no brainer for me. I probably handled the K9 three or four times before deciding to go with it over a few other options, and I can't wait to take the hour long drive back to the shop to pick it up. Hopefully pictures will follow in the next week or so.

jocko
02-22-2011, 04:38 PM
you got one with the rubber grips which is no longer available. They are the best grips money can buy IMO. great feel all the time. will adsorb some recoil even but thin and durable. My K9 is around 06 and has never failed me once. YOu might want to go to the kahr tech section ahd hit on the KAHR LUBE CHART AND ALSO PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR. both will make your rangetime more fun and u will get to know the K9 before that first "bang" thing happens. And the blackened dlc finish is one awesom looking handgun IMO..

vyse.04
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the information. I have browsed the forums for quite awhile (looked in the Tech Section as well), and you seem like you have a wealth of knowledge. People like you are who gave me the Kahr bug... And I thank all of you for showing me the light. :)

onegun
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
you got one with the rubber grips which is no longer available. They are the best grips money can buy IMO. great feel all the time. will adsorb some recoil even but thin and durable. My K9 is around 06 and has never failed me once. YOu might want to go to the kahr tech section ahd hit on the KAHR LUBE CHART AND ALSO PROPPER PREPPING OF YOUR NEW KAHR. both will make your rangetime more fun and u will get to know the K9 before that first "bang" thing happens. And the blackened dlc finish is one awesom looking handgun IMO..

Not trying to hijack the thread but my new K9 Elite came with rubber grips. It's a BF20xx SN.

ripley16
02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but my new K9 Elite came with rubber grips. It's a BF20xx SN.

What we are calling rubber is actually polymer.

Bawanna
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
The early ones were actually rubber and much much nicer than the polymer plastic on them today. My K40 has the rubber and the MK9 has the polymer. they have hardned and become slightly mishaped over the years.

I'd love to see them bring back the real rubber ones myself. I think Hogue made them, at least the ones I have that came new with the K40.

jocko
02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
does Hogue make these grips available even for the K9.

One gun, I didn't know that the rubber grips was back on the K9's. they went to polymer a few years back, which if one didn't know that there was once rubber grips on them, they would probably not care even.

Bawanna
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
My K40 came new with Hogue rubber grips on it. I think Hogue made the grips for kahr I'm guessing.

Seems I looked awhile back and Hogue didn't offer any grips for the Kahrs but I better go look again. Don't know why they wouldn't. Even if they were only offered thru the Kahr shop. Would make sense.

eastenn
02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Is there a visual difference in the rubber or polymer grips? I would swear my grips are rubber, they feel like rubber, but I have never seen any that look any different than mine.

jocko
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
they call the new grips "SOFT POLYMER". i THINK THA TIS WHAT COMES ON ALL THE k9'S TODAY. tHE RUBBER ONES HAVE BEEN GONE FOR A FEW YEARS AT LEAST.

Soft Polymer, that is a new one for me..

I think Ripley is right.. Hogue originally made kahrs rubber grips and at that time could not market them under their name, now that kahr does not offer them anymore, neither does hogue make them anymore. Strange but true,

onegun
02-22-2011, 08:38 PM
If it's a "soft Polymer" it's the softest I've ever seen. The outside is rubber. I can get a fingernail under a corner and lift it up and I can cut into it with a fingernail. It could be that it is a polymer covered with rubber. I don't want to take the grip off because the K9 is loaded and the only time I unload it is when I shoot it every week or so. I'm going to the range in a day or so. When I get back and clean it I'll closely examine the grip.

Looks like I did hijack the thread after all.

Decado
02-24-2011, 05:09 AM
I have the rubber grips on mine as well, they feel just like other houge grips I have had on some of my other pistols, they really feel great!

PaiN
02-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Black K9! :cool: What an awesome way to get into Kahr's.
The K9 is one of the best pistol I've fired and handled. Mine has standard sights atm but soon will be sporting a set of XS Express Big Dots..with those it will officially move into the best-pistol-in-the-world slot ;)

jocko
02-24-2011, 05:24 AM
I have the rubber grips on mine as well, they feel just like other houge grips I have had on some of my other pistols, they really feel great!

just emailed Hogue to see if they are still making grips for the kahrs K9 andif they are available through them and their answer for both was NO.. So maybe that iswhy kahr has went to a soft polymer or what ever that is, but I am pretty sure the new K9 are now rubber grips like Hogue used to make for kahr..