PDA

View Full Version : Cw night sights available

Kent Shopley
11-18-2009, 08:25 AM
We now have CW night sights available at Kahrshop. They are not yet on the website. They should be posted by the end of next week. They are in stock, and ready to ship. They are a Trijicon 2 dot rear with a Trijicon single dot front. The rear is the same as our other Trijicon rear sights. The front sight is all metal, and is secured by two metal posts, one containing a set screw. Set comes with loctite as well. Very easy install. The price is $80.00 + shipping. Call 508-635-1428 to order your set now. Pictures of the sights can be e-mailed. These will sell VERY quickly, so Kahrtalk members are getting the opportunity to order a set from the first run of sights before everyone else. Thanks!!!

pudly
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Woohoo! Been waiting for these for a long time. Please send me pics, or better yet, post them here.

Kent Shopley
11-19-2009, 06:30 AM
E-mail sales@kahr.com and Ill get some pictures sent right over to you. Thanks

MattTheKnife
11-20-2009, 08:12 AM
My question is this: is the front sight the same height as the factory rear sight?

I favor black rear sights with a white dot front sight. A front night sight on my CW9 would be fantastic.

Kent Shopley
11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
The CW front night sight is the same height as the factory front sight.

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Can't get passed the $25 for shipping.

It only costs me $5.00 USPS priority 2-3day.

$80.00 night sights
$40.00 installation
$30.00 shipping (round trip)

OUCH!!!

mr surveyor
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I shipped my slide Tuesday (three days ago) in the USPS Priority Mail box for $4.90... should be at the "Mothership" by today. I don't expect a $30 return shipping fee. One thing to consider is that shipping the slide only does not require anything special in regards to ffl requirements to ship a complete handgun (serialized receiver) USPS, or declaration to common carrier (resulting in rediculous charges) for individual to legally ship a handgun to it's place of origination (manufacturer). I'm expecting no more than the same mailing charge of five bucks and possibly a small handling fee, if even that.

I'm ready to get the CW back in the waist band... I had forgotten just how much different my Sig P239 carried. Mainly though, I am looking forward to the certain, dramatic improvement in sight acquisition that the tritium sights will provide.

surv

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
I shipped my slide Tuesday (three days ago) in the USPS Priority Mail box for $4.90... should be at the "Mothership" by today. I don't expect a $30 return shipping fee. One thing to consider is that shipping the slide only does not require anything special in regards to ffl requirements to ship a complete handgun (serialized receiver) USPS, or declaration to common carrier (resulting in rediculous charges) for individual to legally ship a handgun to it's place of origination (manufacturer). I'm expecting no more than the same mailing charge of five bucks and possibly a small handling fee, if even that.

I'm ready to get the CW back in the waist band... I had forgotten just how much different my Sig P239 carried. Mainly though, I am looking forward to the certain, dramatic improvement in sight acquisition that the tritium sights will provide.

surv

Make sure about the shipping costs. $25 is what THEY quoted me for return shipping. I didn't think it would have to come back next day either since I was only going to ship the slide.

"James,
The sights are $80, the install is $40, and return shipping is $25. Turnaround time is about a week. Send just the slide to the address below. Include a note with what you'd like done, and contact information so that we can call you to get your credit card info. Send to

KAI Attn: Webshop
130 Goddard Memorial Dr
Worcester Ma 01603

Thanks

Clayton Covel
E-Commerce Manager
508-635-1428"

That's the exact e-mail they sent me this week.

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
It's official. I just got an e-mail back from Kahr stating that the slide has to be shipped back "FedEx insured, signature required". I think I'll hold off on these night sights for a little while.

mr surveyor
01-29-2010, 03:14 PM
all I can say is that I was originally quoted $129 total. I assumed that to be $80 for the product, $40 installation, and $9 return. That was for shipping the slide only. If it's much more than that I may have to forgo using night lights in the house for a few months and use the tritium sights to light my way for those nightly trips "down the hall".

surv

Vinikahr
01-29-2010, 05:38 PM
That is turn off, way too much for shipping, always there is the alternative of el cheapo paint. Which it what I did for CW9.:eek:

In-Yo-Grill
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM
That is turn off, way too much for shipping, always there is the alternative of el cheapo paint. Which it what I did for CW9.:eek:

I may just order them and get my locat gunsmith to install them.

RiskPro
01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Just order them; I paid $20 buck to my local GS to put them on.

Well worth the $ and could not imagine them not on my CW-9.

sharpetop
01-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Can't get passed the $25 for shipping.

It only costs me $5.00 USPS priority 2-3day.

$80.00 night sights
$40.00 installation
$30.00 shipping (round trip)

OUCH!!!

This is why I'm waiting! I would think that XS, Meprolight, Ameriglo, etc. will come out with night sights for the CW series. Not to mention that most places will install the sights for free if you purchase the sights from them.

mr surveyor
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
as I understand it, the front sight is very DIY friendly, but the rear sights are extremely "tight". Knowing how tough Kimber sights are to install, from lack of interest from a couple of local smiths is installing Kimber sights, I was told that the Kahr sights were possibly even tighter fit. If the DIY person (which I normally am), or a local gun smith breaks a tube while installing the sight, you're out the replacement cost of the sight. If the factory breaks it, they just pick up another and go on with the work. Thus my reason for spending the extra money to have the sights installed with a guarantee they would be factory centered, and no damage done to the slide in the process.

I've been using tritiums for enough years to know there's no amount of phosphorescent paint that can begin to equal the results of the trit. I have the full 6 pack of paint in a packeged set made specifically for painting gun sights, three bottles which are designed to glow. Yeah, if you hold them to the light for a few minutes you get a slight glow effect in near total darkness, but since I carry concealed IWB, the glow just won't be there at midnight-thirty by the time I'm most likely to need it... not to mention that the paint tends to "steam off" after a few days/weeks of carry IWB.

This year, instead of new firearms purchases, I plan to replace the aging night sights on the Kimber, put new SigLights on the P239, and either a custom front tritium tube on my Airweight or CT grips. Between those three and the CW9, that will take care of my carry guns, and the range guns can stay the way the are now.

Now, after a senseless ramble (which I have a knack for), I would love to hear (read) a full report from RiskPro on the functionality of the new sights.

More encouraging input while I patiently await "seeing the light"

surv

p.s. I can only hope those discouraging words from the movie "Christmas Vacation" don't come to mind on my first low light range trip: "The little lights aren't twinkling, Clark"! :eek:

Arizona T
01-30-2010, 06:51 AM
NOVAK all the way.;)

Zippo Guy
01-30-2010, 08:09 AM
They charged me the full $25.00 to return my slide when I had them install my night sights on my CW9. I wanted it done right so I sent it to them for the work. I think they could have returned it for a whole lot less, but I knew the price when I sent it so I guess I can't complain.

rtrider
01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Sent my CW9 slide in to KAI today using the USPS small package premium mailer. I paid for insurance too. Total shipping to KAI (about $10.00 with online tracking to confirm delivery in MA). I called the service dept. yesterday and got the same story as has been reported here, $145.00 complete, including parts, installation and the $25.00 shipping. I would have had to outsource the job anyway to a LGS so, for the peace of mind, and knowing that if anything is wrong with them when received I have the Kahr name behind their work, I went with the manufacturer. Also, I paid by check, and the service dept. rep I talked with indicated they would start the work right away and didn't have a wait until your check clears to begin the install built in delay.

I'm hoping the slide, with the new sight picture will arrive in a couple weeks.

hdawson
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm very happy with my Crimson Trace laser on my CW9. Very happyl.

gb6491
02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
I installed the night sights on my CW45 and I'm very pleased with them.
Some thoughts:
The sights are well made. I would prefer Meprolight sights and their sealed capsules, but oh well.
The stock front sight snaps off (per instructions) very easily.
The new front sight has two posts; one is threaded. The sight is attached with a phillips head screw and red Loctite.
The stock rear sight was very hard to remove. I actually damaged my sight pusher and finished the removal with a large brass punch and hammer (sight appears undamaged).
The rear night sight needed a slight amount of material removed for easier installation; after that, installation was easy with the undamaged side of my sight pusher.
I really like the sight picture.
I think the front night sight should be offered by itself as it is definitely an upgrade over the stock item (it really did snap off easily). In retrospect, I would have been happy with that and have an undamaged sight pusher:) I also think that a "front sight only upgrade" would be a very "doable" DIY project for most owners.
http://i50.tinypic.com/35jvy54.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/244qkxf.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/iviro0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/14e9eom.jpg
Regards,
Greg

In-Yo-Grill
02-01-2010, 06:52 AM
I installed the night sights on my CW45 and I'm very pleased with them.
Some thoughts:
The sights are well made. I would prefer Meprolight sights and their sealed capsules, but oh well.
The stock front sight snaps off (per instructions) very easily.
The new front sight has two posts; one is threaded. The sight is attached with a phillips head screw and red Loctite.
The stock rear sight was very hard to remove. I actually damaged my sight pusher and finished the removal with a large brass punch and hammer (sight appears undamaged).
The rear night sight needed a slight amount of material removed for easier installation; after that, installation was easy with the undamaged side of my sight pusher.
I really like the sight picture.
I think the front night sight should be offered by itself as it is definitely an upgrade over the stock item (it really did snap off easily). In retrospect, I would have been happy with that and have an undamaged sight pusher:) I also think that a "front sight only upgrade" would be a very "doable" DIY project for most owners.
http://i50.tinypic.com/35jvy54.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/244qkxf.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/iviro0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/14e9eom.jpg
Regards,
Greg

So the night sights came with instructions on how to get off the front sight? I talked to my local smitty and he was worried that the front sight was going to be a bear to deal with. If you're saying that it was "easy" then I'd be inclined to buy the sights and have them put on locally. He's done all my other Kahrs to date.

gb6491
02-01-2010, 09:11 AM
So the night sights came with instructions on how to get off the front sight? I talked to my local smitty and he was worried that the front sight was going to be a bear to deal with. If you're saying that it was "easy" then I'd be inclined to buy the sights and have them put on locally. He's done all my other Kahrs to date.
Yes, the sights come with instructions and Loctite.

Here (verbatim) are the instructions for removing the front sight:
"Removal of the Existing Front Sight
1. Using a small set of vise grips, being careful not to make contact with the slide, grip the front sight and pull to remove the upper half.
2. Using a pick or very small Phillips head screw driver push the remaining portion of the polymer posts out of the slide from the top of the slide. Be careful not scratch the top of the slide.
3. Turn the slide over and ensure there is no remaining polymer in the front sight holes of the slide. If there is, gently remove it using the pick or small Phillips head screwdriver."

I used masking tape to cover the slide around the front sight blade. I put the vise gips on the front sight blade with the jaws standing off from the top of the slide and pulled the sight off with a slight rocking motion. The posts and sight body separated quite easily. The posts and residue (the posts are melted to stake the sight on) were also removed with little effort.

The threads on one side of my sight pusher started to deform when removing the rear sight; with the sight about half way out, I switched to a brass punch and hammer and removed the sight without further incidence.

Regards,
Greg

In-Yo-Grill
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Yes, the sights come with instructions and Loctite.

Here (verbatim) are the instructions for removing the front sight:
"Removal of the Existing Front Sight
1. Using a small set of vise grips, being careful not to make contact with the slide, grip the front sight and pull to remove the upper half.
2. Using a pick or very small Phillips head screw driver push the remaining portion of the polymer posts out of the slide from the top of the slide. Be careful not scratch the top of the slide.
3. Turn the slide over and ensure there is no remaining polymer in the front sight holes of the slide. If there is, gently remove it using the pick or small Phillips head screwdriver."

I used masking tape to cover the slide around the front sight blade. I put the vise gips on the front sight blade with the jaws standing off from the top of the slide and pulled the sight off with a slight rocking motion. The posts and sight body separated quite easily. The posts and residue (the posts are melted to stake the sight on) were also removed with little effort.

The threads on one side of my sight pusher started to deform when removing the rear sight; with the sight about half way out, I switched to a brass punch and hammer and removed the sight without further incidence.

Regards,
Greg

I really appreciate your post. I'm going to order them soon now that I know they are not too tough to get on.

mr surveyor
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
My slide came back today by Fed-X (Thanks, Clayton:)), exactly 9 days after I dropped it in the US mail. Great turn-around time. The work was immaculate, and I'll just have to assume for another day or two that they are centered for poa/poi. It's raining here a bit too much to go out and light the range up.

With the understanding that these sights (rear sight in particular) are extremely tight tolerance, I'm sure I would have busted a trit tube trying to install with a sight punch, since I don't have a press/pusher. I'd doubt I would have gotten them centered on the first try either....still hoping the "mothership" hit the mark on the first try.;)

The sights do look nice!

surv:cool:

In-Yo-Grill
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
My slide came back today by Fed-X (Thanks, Clayton:)), exactly 9 days after I dropped it in the US mail. Great turn-around time. The work was immaculate, and I'll just have to assume for another day or two that they are centered for poa/poi. It's raining here a bit too much to go out and light the range up.

With the understanding that these sights (rear sight in particular) are extremely tight tolerance, I'm sure I would have busted a trit tube trying to install with a sight punch, since I don't have a press/pusher. I'd doubt I would have gotten them centered on the first try either....still hoping the "mothership" hit the mark on the first try.;)

The sights do look nice!

surv:cool:

Can you post some pics of your newly dressed CW?

mr surveyor
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight....I always try to add pics to my electronic inventory database files after modifications to a gun. My photos won't look near as good as those above from gb6491, and his are a great representation of the final product.

surv

In-Yo-Grill
02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I'll try to take a couple of pics tonight....I always try to add pics to my electronic inventory database files after modifications to a gun. My photos won't look near as good as those above from gb6491, and his are a great representation of the final product.

surv

Yeah, his came out super clear...

mr surveyor
02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
as promised, here's a couple of pics with the new tritium sights on my CW9:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/CW9WITHTRITIUMSIGHTS1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/cowpi/CW9WITHTRITIUMSIGHTS2.jpg

not the best pics, but you get the point:)

surv

rtrider
02-06-2010, 03:20 PM
After mailing USPS to KAI last Saturday, an "Adult Signature Required" delivery came today. My slide is now crowned with the Trijicon night sights. I'll try for an in the dark picture tonight, to give you feel for the sight picture with the sights activated.

8 days total, including a Saturday ship date and a Sunday. Very timely service in my book.

rtrider
02-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Not the best photo, but you get the idea... looks like Kryptonite....

Vincent
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Has anyone tried to mount these on a CW9?

I did. It was not very fun and not as advertised. When I followed the instructions to the letter the screw would not seat down far enough to be flush and tied up the gun, it would not go into battery.:(

Before I go on I was working in a fully equipped gunsmithing shop with a MANY year FFL and gunsmith that builds custom 1911s and custom Mauser hunting rifles for a pretty decent living. Not a kitchen table operation.

To get the screw head to set flush I had to use a tiny burr on a Foredom rotary tool (industrial Dremel tool) to deepen the "dimple" in the slide so the screw, the very tiny screw, would sit flush. That it did. :) But now it is too long to let the front sight sit all the way down on the slide with the screw bottomed out and if I would push the sight down it was back to tying the gun up and would not go into battery:mad:

So now the next step was to shorten the very tiny screw so that we could mount the sight with out the gun's operation being compromised. That we did. At that point my friend Mike the Gunsmith tried to use a forceps to hold the screw, (the very tiny screw that you only get ONE OF:32:) and when he tightened the tool the one very tiny screw when flying off the work bench, over the lathe and off into parts unknown:mad::32: Mike felt awful said he would buy six of the tiny screws from Kahr so we could finish mounting my front sight. did I mention the screw is tiny?

This is my carry gun. It goes everywhere I go. I REALLY like my little gun. I like carrying it better than my SIG 239 and I have owned Kahr pistols since the very first ones came out so I am NOT badmouthing Kahr in general here but this sight it is NOT just a bolt on deal with a CW9 at least. Also the driver they give you is either too long or not long enough depending on what you are doing and it is very soft metal.

Anyway I told Mike to cool it with the worrying and I got out the JB Weld and mounted the front sight with it! I roughened the under side of the sight, filled the screw hole with JB so it would hold the thread and over filled the slide dimple with JB. In 8 hours I used a sharp tool and cut the JB back flush with the inside of the slide.:):D

I love my night sighted CW9! It has gone through about 150 rounds since with no problem. To be honest I like this better because knowing what I know now I would be worried about that screw loosening at the wrong time and damaging the pistol or making it inoperable when I need it most.

KSouthpaw
02-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Has anyone tried to mount these on a CW9?

I did. It was not very fun and not as advertised. When I followed the instructions to the letter the screw would not seat down far enough to be flush and tied up the gun, it would not go into battery.:(

Before I go on I was working in a fully equipped gunsmithing shop with a MANY year FFL and gunsmith that builds custom 1911s and custom Mauser hunting rifles for a pretty decent living. Not a kitchen table operation.

To get the screw head to set flush I had to use a tiny burr on a Foredom rotary tool (industrial Dremel tool) to deepen the "dimple" in the slide so the screw, the very tiny screw, would sit flush. That it did. :) But now it is too long to let the front sight sit all the way down on the slide with the screw bottomed out and if I would push the sight down it was back to tying the gun up and would not go into battery:mad:

So now the next step was to shorten the very tiny screw so that we could mount the sight with out the gun's operation being compromised. That we did. At that point my friend Mike the Gunsmith tried to use a forceps to hold the screw, (the very tiny screw that you only get ONE OF:32:) and when he tightened the tool the one very tiny screw when flying off the work bench, over the lathe and off into parts unknown:mad::32: Mike felt awful said he would buy six of the tiny screws from Kahr so we could finish mounting my front sight. did I mention the screw is tiny?

This is my carry gun. It goes everywhere I go. I REALLY like my little gun. I like carrying it better than my SIG 239 and I have owned Kahr pistols since the very first ones came out so I am NOT badmouthing Kahr in general here but this sight it is NOT just a bolt on deal with a CW9 at least. Also the driver they give you is either too long or not long enough depending on what you are doing and it is very soft metal.

Anyway I told Mike to cool it with the worrying and I got out the JB Weld and mounted the front sight with it! I roughened the under side of the sight, filled the screw hole with JB so it would hold the thread and over filled the slide dimple with JB. In 8 hours I used a sharp tool and cut the JB back flush with the inside of the slide.:):D

I love my night sighted CW9! It has gone through about 150 rounds since with no problem. To be honest I like this better because knowing what I know now I would be worried about that screw loosening at the wrong time and damaging the pistol or making it inoperable when I need it most.

Yep...not very happy at all with my purchase. I'll be calling Kahr on Monday about this. Had the same issues with both my CW9's. First of all, the directions are incorrect, in that they say to remove AND install the rear sights from "Right to Left". I broke out the Digital Calipers to verify which side was tapered. So to anyone who actually reads the directions, disregard what Kahr has printed, and remove the rear sights from "Left to Right". Secondly, I made the mistake of not test fitting the front sight prior to putting on Loctite and found out after that the screw does not recess down far enough to allow the barrel to sit in the slide correctly. I couldn't get it to go into battery. I could not even get my slide on the frame, as the bottom of the feed ramp was catching on it. So long story short, I was able to heat up the screw, break the loctite and remove the front sight; but now the screw head is stripped. Hopefully Kahr will make this right.

Vincent
02-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Before anyone suggests that it was a lack of experience I have been working on many types of firearms for about 33 years and my gunsmith friend has about 38 years. We know what we are doing.

mr surveyor
02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
well....I just got back from the range and put 56 rounds through my newly light CW9. Kahr did it right. The sights were aligned perfectly (by the Kahr shop). I shot the first 30 rounds after the sun went down, but still light enough that the tritium sights made no difference. Actually, without white dots, the shiny glass tends to disappear into the black, making the sights look pretty much like plain black combat sights. I waited until it was dark enough for the Trijicons to make their presence known and put another 26 rounds into a paper plate at 7 yards in 5 round, 5 second volleys. The sights were POA/POI. Shot a 4 inch group under very low light.

I'm very pleased. A big "Thank You" to the Kahr shop for doing such a great job. and saving me a ton of frustration.

surv

tomwalshco
02-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I've got a new CW9 coming Thurs and very motivated on the night sights. It really sounds like a do-it-yourselfer to me. Thanks to reading about the gotchas from a semi-horror story by Vincent.

I've heard these sights wash out in dusk/dawn, low-light situations and are hard to pick up. Is this true?

I would think the front sight is really all you'd need. (I'll get jumped on for that statement)

Let me see if I've got the facts straight - 2 guys, 4 eyes, 71 years combined gun experience and it's Kahr's fault the screw was lost!!?? Sorry, Vince, couldn't resist.

Anybody know if the instructions are online and if they've figured out the L to R, R to L deal on the rear sights. Thanks.

Vincent
02-16-2010, 11:04 PM
I've got a new CW9 coming Thurs and very motivated on the night sights. It really sounds like a do-it-yourselfer to me. Thanks to reading about the gotchas from a semi-horror story by Vincent.

I've heard these sights wash out in dusk/dawn, low-light situations and are hard to pick up. Is this true?

I would think the front sight is really all you'd need. (I'll get jumped on for that statement)

Let me see if I've got the facts straight - 2 guys, 4 eyes, 71 years combined gun experience and it's Kahr's fault the screw was lost!!?? Sorry, Vince, couldn't resist.

Anybody know if the instructions are online and if they've figured out the L to R, R to L deal on the rear sights. Thanks.

It is not Kahr's fault that it's TINY, LITTLE, MINIATURE screw got lost.:rolleyes: That was Mike's fault if fault must be found with anyone:D;). Of course I almost lost it a couple times.

By the way 200 rounds later my front sight is just fine.

As far as the sights go I really like them. In daylight they just look like a 3 dot sight and I like them better than the stock sights even during the day.

As for only needing the front sight that depends on the precision you want to place the shot with. For a quick snap shot it may be just as good at VERY close range the front may just work. To test this I put some tape over the rear lamps and for me it would result in large variations in elevation or point of impact. YMMV

wyntrout
02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Epoxy works better than duct tape on guns... and looks better... unless you use too much. Don't use that Gorilla Glue stuff... it foams before setting permanently -- messy -- quite a shock the first time I used it... not on a gun. Directions are for people with too much time on their hands and who don't know it all, already.:D
Wynn:behindsofa:

tomwalshco
02-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Looking at the description now it shows the kit coming with a torx driver which means they probably abandoned the phillips head. That should help in holding it on the tool and keeping it from disappearing. Also head-boogering. Maybe when I get to that step, I'll do it in a bathtub with the drain taped shut. :D

In-Yo-Grill
02-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Looking at the description now it shows the kit coming with a torx driver which means they probably abandoned the phillips head. That should help in holding it on the tool and keeping it from disappearing. Also head-boogering. Maybe when I get to that step, I'll do it in a bathtub with the drain taped shut. :D

No...by all means don't learn from the others' mistakes. Then we can't point fingers and say "We Told You So!"...:lie:

Vincent
02-17-2010, 05:04 PM

My kit came with a torx driver and torx screw. The driver is not long enough on one leg and too long on the other. It is also very soft. It deformed in the process of trying to screw that TINY, MINATURE screw in and out:D We dressed it and were able to fix it.

Vincent
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Epoxy works better than duct tape on guns... and looks better... unless you use too much. Don't use that Gorilla Glue stuff... it foams before setting permanently -- messy -- quite a shock the first time I used it... not on a gun. Directions are for people with too much time on their hands and who don't know it all, already.:D
Wynn:behindsofa:

JB is not just epoxy. It is filled with minute steel filings. I have seen motor cycle engine cases repaired with JB and then the motorcycle was raced the next day.

I read the directions a number of times before working on the pistol. They were not at ALL helpful for the problems we ran into.

Have you installed one of these sight kits on a CW9 wyntrout?

KSouthpaw
02-17-2010, 10:33 PM
I called Kahr and talked to Clayton about my sights and he indicated they might have received a bad batch of torx head screws. He's looking into it and said they'll probably start shipping with phillips head screws until he finds out what the problem is. I guess the phillips head screws have already been tested and work correctly with all three versions of slides. He said we should definitely not be having these problems and offered to have my slide shipped back to Kahr, shipping paid, and he'd install them for free and ship it back. Great customer service. Can't wait to get my slide back and see how it looks.

wyntrout
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
JB is not just epoxy. It is filled with minute steel filings. I have seen motor cycle engine cases repaired with JB and then the motorcycle was raced the next day.

I read the directions a number of times before working on the pistol. They were not at ALL helpful for the problems we ran into.

Have you installed one of these sight kits on a CW9 wyntrout?

No, Vincent. The only sight I've worked on was my S&W 645. It shot about 9" low at 15 yards or so, which sucked, since I couldn't see what I was shooting at. I removed the front night sight and filed the heck out of the bottom. Then I filed the heck out of the mount. I drilled a new pin hole without screwing it up and mounted the sight, but the front of the sight and mount were kind of rough, so I put a dab of epoxy there giving it a smooth roundness -- not too bad. I feared that I had lowered the sight too much but it was right on vertically and the rear sight is adjustable.
If you'll search this forum, you'll find some posts about that, though, because the sights have only been available for CW's for a short while. Several guys have done this and reported on it.
The front sight is kind of tricky because of the screw that holds the front sight on has been too long and interferes with the slide going into battery.
I've seen very recent discussions on that. Yeah! This thread and you guys. I just looked back again on this thread. DOH!
Wynn:o

tomwalshco
02-21-2010, 08:41 AM
A Glock guy over at GT forum told me the dovetails on Kahrs are hourglass shaped, which means removal/installation can be bi-directional. Can anybody second that motion?

Wonder if that holds true for all models? He did his on a PM9.

jocko
02-21-2010, 08:45 AM
A Glock guy over at GT forum told me the dovetails on Kahrs are hourglass shaped, which means removal/installation can be bi-directional. Can anybody second that motion?

Wonder if that holds true for all models? He did his on a PM9.

sqay that is not true, as after market sights will go on kahrs and they are not hour glass shaped, nor is one certain direction noted on their installation package either..

tomwalshco
02-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Checked the Trijicon site and they don't even list Kahr as an offering, so I guess Kahr is the only source for info.

When mine show up, can I expect a bible verse to be etched on the sights somewhere??:D

Michigan weapons company Trijicon takes flak over soldiers' rifle scopes branded with Bible verses (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/01/19/2010-01-19_firm_takes_flak_for_rifle_scopes_with_bible_ver se.html)

Wow, Trijicon and Kahr - dueling bibles....

Vincent
02-21-2010, 03:34 PM
It would be much harder to machine an "hour glass" dove tail and not much sense to it.

My rear sight was very hard to press in but with a "tiny" amount of sanding on the bottom of the sight which is pretty typical with many after market sights.