PDA

View Full Version : Using sm rifle primers for 9MM

xmanridesred
02-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Well I have a little over 1k small rifle primers that will not get used since the AR-15 is sold. So my question is, will it be fine to use small rifle primers for my 9MM loads im using in my PM9? Has anyone here used these in a pistol load? I have looked on other forums and kinda seems like it will be fine as long as the striker is strong enough due to the thicker cup.

pappy42
02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I have a little over 1k small rifle primers that will not get used since the AR-15 is sold. So my question is, will it be fine to use small rifle primers for my 9MM loads im using in my PM9? Has anyone here used these in a pistol load? I have looked on other forums and kinda seems like it will be fine as long as the striker is strong enough due to the thicker cup.

I think you would be better off going to a gunshow and trading the rifle primers for pistol primers.

Bawanna
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Primers while not as cheap as the old days are cheap enough to get the right ones. Not worth it to me.

DKD
02-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Demensionally they are diferent, not to mention the primer cup is thicker and filled with alot more explosive material.
Sell them or trade them off for sure, but do not load them. All reloading manuals are quite adament about changing the components for a reason. I am sure if you stay within the published data for other small primers you would be fine, but substituting a rifle primer is a definite No No!

100percent
02-26-2011, 08:28 PM
rifle primers are more energetic longer and are harder.

slowpoke
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
It don't sound like a good idea to me. .. :2eek:

xmanridesred
02-27-2011, 01:26 AM
From doing more research I have found that on average the sr primers are adding around 100 fps to the velocity. all test that were talked about were starting from a min. load and working their way up, and you could only sub the sp with sr it was actually a commion thing in competition shooting. they stated that you could not sub any other primers like this ONLY use small rifle in small pistol not the other way around, and never sub any of the large primers like this.

OldLincoln
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
If you survive, let us know how it works out.

Sliebl
02-27-2011, 03:39 PM
From doing more research I have found that on average the sr primers are adding around 100 fps to the velocity. all test that were talked about were starting from a min. load and working their way up, and you could only sub the sp with sr it was actually a commion thing in competition shooting. they stated that you could not sub any other primers like this ONLY use small rifle in small pistol not the other way around, and never sub any of the large primers like this.
Who is they? Could you site the source that said it's okay to use the Small Rifle Primer in place of a Small Pistol Primer? I have 5 or 6 of the big name reloading manuals, and I've never seen this sort of substitution referred to.

In my opinion, you should steer clear of this sort of substitution. Is it really worth the few dollars saved, just to use up the primers you have on hand? You can buy 1000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers for under $30. Find a buddy that reloads, or someone at your local range to take the Small Pistol Primers off your hands for a few bucks to offset your expense.

xmanridesred
02-27-2011, 08:58 PM
This is a very controversial subjuct, I'm not pioneering new things here THEY I am referring to is other reloaders that have posted their test/experiences for others to see on various forums. You are correct that none of the major reloading manuals state this sub is acceptable. Like I previously stated it appears to be common practice among some of the competition shooters to achieve higher power factors. If this was just one person doing this I would think twice about doing it, but i have searched many forums and have found many people do this and have documented their results thoroughly. I am not saying this is for everyone so if anyone is not completely comfortable DON'T DO IT. So before anyone breaks out their battleaxe to behead me do some research on the topic and if you attempt this be smart and start from a min load, use a chrono, check spent brass for signs of overpressure and document your results to share with others. When I finish my test, I will let you know how it goes.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/60138-Using-small-rifle-primers-instead-of-small-pistol

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35677-Small-Pistol-and-Rifle-Primers

xmanridesred
02-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Just a few more tid bits on the subject.

1) Amount of explosive. The small pistol primer contains approxomately 23mg of explosive where the small rifle primer contains approximately 27mg of explosive. That's about a 17% increase and, according to the gal I spoke with, will cause significantly higher peak pressures. She also said that the smaller the case size, the more severe the effect will be.

2) Height of primer. The small rifle primer is 2 thousanths of an inch taller than the small pistol primer.

3) Bottom of cup thickness. The small rifle primer has a thicker cup bottom than the small pistol primer.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35182-.38-Super-load-questions/page3

100percent
02-28-2011, 06:33 PM
At least you have answered your own question on the possible un-quantifiable data problems with using a wrong primer. Pressure changes are not always linear. Primers that stick out can lead to slam fires depending. If you can afford a Kahr you can surly afford the right ammo or at least the right primers so that you don't blow it up.

What really blows is the fact that you sold your AR. I think that gun is one of the best guns made. Lightweight powerful and accurate.

If I had only one weapon it would be an AR.

Just a few more tid bits on the subject.

1) Amount of explosive. The small pistol primer contains approxomately 23mg of explosive where the small rifle primer contains approximately 27mg of explosive. That's about a 17% increase and, according to the gal I spoke with, will cause significantly higher peak pressures. She also said that the smaller the case size, the more severe the effect will be.

2) Height of primer. The small rifle primer is 2 thousanths of an inch taller than the small pistol primer.

3) Bottom of cup thickness. The small rifle primer has a thicker cup bottom than the small pistol primer.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/35182-.38-Super-load-questions/page3

xmanridesred
02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
yeah I sold the ar to get another but never got the other before the money got spent. It was never an issue of not being able to afford a box of primers. It was more to throw in another variable for the sake of finding something new to me and the rifle primers were on hand and with a little digging the info was there too.

mr surveyor
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
good luck

OldLincoln
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey, look at it this way, maybe you can get a job on the "Myths Busted" show. You seem to have the knowledge and skills to calculate stuff, and the inherent desire to blow something up. A perfect fit.

I have to say I'm really curious about all this. I wouldn't have thought that a bigger flash equals a bigger bang. I looked at it like what difference does the fuse make to the firecracker? Or the spark to the rocket? It either goes or no-goes.

ruf45
02-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I dont know any thing about 9mm,so cant voice an opinion. I use small rifle primers for loading 38 super and never had any problems. However I wouldnt reccomend it for 9mm. Ive heard of some using them , but not with stock guns