PDA

View Full Version : Recluse Holster Review (P380/CCW)

BuckeyeBlast
02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I've been debating on getting a Recluse holster for quite a while, but when I added a Crimson Trace LaserGuard to my P380 it limited my holster options significantly. I finally decided to try out the Recluse, which is also made for the LCP and a few other pocket guns. http://www.recluseholster.com/store.php

My initial concerns were with the design of the holster - "Is it safe?"

I didn't like the look of that trigger not being in a 'pouch' like a traditional holster and while it is exposed, it is actually immobilized. My concerns were also with retention. Even if the trigger is immobilized while in the holster, what about when retention gives way? Well, retention seems to be very good. I can actually hold the holster upside down and it retains the pistol, which is more than I can say about some other holsters that I've had. I think part of this is due to the thick, rigid leather that is used. It has the rigidity similar to a hardback book. If it were to accidentally lose retention and separate from the gun (which it hasn't done and I don't think it will), the size and shape of the trigger block will not allow the trigger to be engaged if the trigger block itself would not fit past the trigger guard.

Concealability is good. The holster is larger with the print-proof cover, but it is thin with only one side of holster material being used. The contours of the holster ride the pocket well. It's comfortable and light weight. Excellent for pocket carry in pants, but might not be as good in a tighter fitting jean with shallower pockets. I haven't tried that as when I wear jeans, I carry IWB.

The downside? Traditional pocket carry holsters tend to have a 'heel' that helps keep the holster upright, and aids in retaining the holster during draw. When drawing from the Recluse, the draw is natural and it automatically separates the holster from the pistol, so the additional holster retention is not necessary. That leaves the only real downside. Without that heel, if you're pocket carrying in something w/ shallow pockets, and lounging with your feet up... the slickness of the holster and lacking a 'retention heel' could allow it to slip out of your pocket if you're at just the right angle with just the right pants. I don't think it's a problem, but just something to be aware of if you lounge around the house with your feet up a lot.

So far so good:

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0112-1.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0114-6.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0124.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0139.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0145.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0137-1.jpg
http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a453/RightClickError/Gun%20Stuff/PICT0133-2.jpg

garyb
02-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Good photos. Interesting design and honest review. It is always nice to see what others like and don't like about the products that are out there. I pocket carry, so I thought this was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

BuckeyeBlast
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
After 2 weeks of daily carry, I'm really liking this holster. :)

Zippo Guy
03-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I have had mine for a couple of months and really like it in the front pocket of my jeans. If you go to the P 380 Forum there is quite a bit of informantion on this holster.

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 04:52 PM
This place? (http://p380forum.com/forum/index.php)

I tried to register, but I don't think they are taking new members. I never get the confirmation email.

Zippo Guy
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes, it took me a while, like a week of trying, but finally got registered. :rolleyes: It is worth the effort.

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Buckeye, did you get the gun with the laser or buy the laser separate? Can you put the laser on after or do you have to buy the gun with it factory installed?

Cokeman
03-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Yes, it took me a while, like a week of trying, but finally got registered. :rolleyes: It is worth the effort.

What's the trick?

BuckeyeBlast
03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Buckeye, did you get the gun with the laser or buy the laser separate? Can you put the laser on after or do you have to buy the gun with it factory installed?

Bought the gun on Gunbroker and the laser on Ebay. :D

Zippo Guy
03-13-2011, 07:02 PM
What's the trick?

I honestly don't know what I did that finally made it work. One time I clicked on it and my information had been accepted. Maybe Jocko knows, he uses that site.

Cokeman
03-13-2011, 10:48 PM
I never got the verification email. Did you?

Zippo Guy
03-14-2011, 08:49 PM
No, but I now get on as a member

Cokeman
03-15-2011, 10:38 PM
It happened. I have no idea why. I tried a few times and it didn't work. Then I tried to go to the classifieds and it asked me to log in. I tried it and it worked. Weird.

Cokeman
03-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Does anyone have a pic of the holster with a non-laser P380 in it?

Garland
03-16-2011, 07:52 AM
I've got one for the standard gun with pocket for an extra mag. I'll try to post a pic when I get home.

kahrking
03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Exposed, (semi exposed) triggers scare me. I think I would stay with complete trigger coverage. I dont see the avantage of the recluse design?

BuckeyeBlast
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Exposed, (semi exposed) triggers scare me. I think I would stay with complete trigger coverage. I dont see the avantage of the recluse design?

Scared me too. That's the main reason I didn't buy it previously, but when adding the CT Laserguard, my holster options became limited and I decided to give it a try. I've been carrying it 5 days a week for about a month now, and I'm much more comfortable with it. The trigger is exposed, but only visually. It's immobilized in that trigger block. With a traditional holster, there's a (extremely slight) chance that a trigger could snag on something upon holstering and fire, and I don't see how that can happen with this trigger block. The trigger block can't activate the trigger, believe me I tried (cocked and unloaded). Just as long as the gun is in the holster, the trigger will not move. I've jogged with the gun in this holster and it has never once worked itself out.
As far as an 'advantage', I think the advantage is in the draw. You reach in, and pull out with a fighting grip and your finger on it's index point. No need to worry about the holster coming out with the gun. The main advantage - it fits with the CT Laserguard, most others do not. :)

MikeyKahr
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Me three., exactly why I wouldn't go with it. I'd stick with the DeSantis line of pocket holsters. And even if they do not offer the P380 with Crimson Trace laser grips (do they?), they are easily changed to fit to size with some tailor/seam work. Easy peasy japanesey.

kahrking
03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Scared me too. That's the main reason I didn't buy it previously, but when adding the CT Laserguard, my holster options became limited and I decided to give it a try. I've been carrying it 5 days a week for about a month now, and I'm much more comfortable with it. The trigger is exposed, but only visually. It's immobilized in that trigger block. With a traditional holster, there's a (extremely slight) chance that a trigger could snag on something upon holstering and fire, and I don't see how that can happen with this trigger block. The trigger block can't activate the trigger, believe me I tried (cocked and unloaded). Just as long as the gun is in the holster, the trigger will not move. I've jogged with the gun in this holster and it has never once worked itself out.
As far as an 'advantage', I think the advantage is in the draw. You reach in, and pull out with a fighting grip and your finger on it's index point. No need to worry about the holster coming out with the gun. The main advantage - it fits with the CT Laserguard, most others do not. :)

I dont understand the draw advantage, the only way I could draw with my finger on its "index point" would be to have the gun and holster in my pocket backwards with the print shield on the inside aginst my leg. That would leave the gun on the outside wich would print almost the same as if the gun had no holster.

My pocket holster is suede wich keeps it in place in the pocket, you can choose with or without the hook to keep it in the pocket upon draw and third they have upper body shield thats designed so you can press down on the holster with your thumb at the same time your gripping the gun and push away the holster down into the pocket for a quick and smooth draw.

The bodyshield is also wider than the trigger guard so it will not snag the trigger upon holstering. Im not firmiliar with pocket holsters discharging the firearm when holstering.

The choices for pocket guns equipt with crimson trace's are slim, I agree.

kahrking
03-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Me three., exactly why I wouldn't go with it. I'd stick with the DeSantis line of pocket holsters. And even if they do not offer the P380 with Crimson Trace laser grips (do they?), they are easily changed to fit to size with some tailor/seam work. Easy peasy japanesey.

I’m positive DeSantis does make "one size fits all" holster to accommodate the CT.

I have not ever been a "one size fits all" guy. Custom holsters made specifically for the gun of choice is the only way to go, IOM.

I have custom made suede and leather pocket holsters made for my pocket guns including my Kahr P380 for less than the cost of the DeSantis superfly (nylon holster). And they are all made and molded with the actual gun.

MikeyKahr
03-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I’m positive DeSantis does make "one size fits all" holster to accommodate the CT.

I have not ever been a "one size fits all" guy. Custom holsters made specifically for the gun of choice is the only way to go, IOM.

I have custom made suede and leather pocket holsters made for my pocket guns including my Kahr P380 for less than the cost of the DeSantis superfly (nylon holster). And they are all made and molded with the actual gun.

By my count, DeSantis makes at least three holsters (with variations) that perfectly fit the P380 with Crimson Trace - the Nemesis (my personal favorite), the Super Fly and the Apache. Not the "one size fits all" varieties, but actual perfect fit for P380 with CT. True, they're not custom, but that don't mean that they don't fit. My PM9 with CT fits my Nemesis like a glove, like they were a match made in heaven. I don't think that it's a stretch to say they are "made and molded" with the actual gun and accessory (CT) in mind. But I guess at the end of the day, it's not worth "arguing" about! :nerd:

kahrking
03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
By my count, DeSantis makes at least three holsters (with variations) that perfectly fit the P380 with Crimson Trace - the Nemesis (my personal favorite), the Super Fly and the Apache. Not the "one size fits all" varieties, but actual perfect fit for P380 with CT. True, they're not custom, but that don't mean that they don't fit. My PM9 with CT fits my Nemesis like a glove, like they were a match made in heaven. I don't think that it's a stretch to say they are "made and molded" with the actual gun and accessory (CT) in mind. But I guess at the end of the day, it's not worth "arguing" about! :nerd:

ALL soft holsters (nylon, etc) are "one size fits all" as they are not molded they are cut folded and stitched. I never said they do not fit as they do. My LCP came with a Nemesis and it fit my P380 and Sig just the same but it was a generic holster.

A molded leather holster will fit only the gun it was built with correctly, yep you can put others in it but not the same.

Nothing is arguable as this is my opinion and you know what they say about that......

A good leather holster should last a lifetime and can be passed down through generations. I think its the best value for my money.

BuckeyeBlast
03-21-2011, 04:48 AM
I dont understand the draw advantage, the only way I could draw with my finger on its "index point" would be to have the gun and holster in my pocket backwards with the print shield on the inside aginst my leg. That would leave the gun on the outside wich would print almost the same as if the gun had no holster.

Are you right handed? Would the holster be in your right pocket? If so, then I assume that you place your right index finger on the right side of the frame? If all the above is true, then you do not flip the holster around like you described. The draw is not the same as a traditional pocket holster, I've had several, it's more natural like just reaching into your pocket. When you grip the gun, it automatically frees the gun from the trigger block and your finger is free to index, or even go to the trigger if your situation were to require it.

kahrking
03-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Are you right handed? Would the holster be in your right pocket? If so, then I assume that you place your right index finger on the right side of the frame? If all the above is true, then you do not flip the holster around like you described. The draw is not the same as a traditional pocket holster, I've had several, it's more natural like just reaching into your pocket. When you grip the gun, it automatically frees the gun from the trigger block and your finger is free to index, or even go to the trigger if your situation were to require it.

Buckeyeblast- I’m a right'y with my gun in my right pocket, right finger on the right side of the frame. With the gun in the holster, in my right pocket correctly (print shield out) the holster blocks the ability to even touch the gun with anything but the web of my thumb and thumb (my index finger is completely blocked by the print shield).

If you are saying you pocket carry with the print shield against your leg (on the inside) I would understand. I could not carry like that here it’s illegal to print as printing is the categorized under open carry.

BuckeyeBlast
03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Buckeyeblast- I’m a right'y with my gun in my right pocket, right finger on the right side of the frame. With the gun in the holster, in my right pocket correctly (print shield out) the holster blocks the ability to even touch the gun with anything but the web of my thumb and thumb (my index finger is completely blocked by the print shield).

If you are saying you pocket carry with the print shield against your leg (on the inside) I would understand. I could not carry like that here it’s illegal to print as printing is the categorized under open carry.

You're not understanding the holster then. As you carry, you'd be fine. You carry just like I do. Go to Recluse's website and I think they may have a video there that shows the draw. I could type it out, but it would sound much more difficult than it really is. In fact, it's the most natural draw of any pocket holster that I've used.

kahrking
03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
You're not understanding the holster then. As you carry, you'd be fine. You carry just like I do. Go to Recluse's website and I think they may have a video there that shows the draw. I could type it out, but it would sound much more difficult than it really is. In fact, it's the most natural draw of any pocket holster that I've used.

Cool, Ill check that out.

Zippo Guy
03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I agree with BuckeyeBlast. It is a very simple holster to draw from and gives a very natural draw. It is one of the easiest holsters to use and a pleasure to have in your pocket all day long with the little P380. I think the rest of you are making it more difficult than it should be. If it doesn't make sense to you, fine, go with something that does.

BuckeyeBlast
12-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Just an update, 10 mos later and I still love this holster. Carry w/ it at least 5 days a week.

kahrnut1
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
been using recluse with pm40 with crimson trace for over a year best pocket holster ive ever owned tod and the guys will work with you if you want any changes and ship fast