PDA

View Full Version : "Point of Aim" question

11-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a P380 for CC and have a question....

What do you folks think is best a point of aim? At center mass (7 to 10 yards)? or, a point of aim using a 6 o'clock hold? My P380 is center mass but because the sights are so small (and my eyes are aging) I think I would prefer the point of aim to be at 6 o'clock.

Any thoughts? on the topic?

500KV
11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I have a P380 for CC and have a question....

What do you folks think is best a point of aim? At center mass (7 to 10 yards)? or, a point of aim using a 6 o'clock hold? My P380 is center mass but because the sights are so small (and my eyes are aging) I think I would prefer the point of aim to be at 6 o'clock.

Any thoughts? on the topic?

I too have pondered those same questions 1911, and decided that circumstances can be so varied, ie. distance, lighting, personal anxiety etc. that I'd probably just try to double-tap that center mass in most instances.

Due to aging eyes, as you say, and the fact that my accuracy and reflexes are not what they were 30 years ago, I'd just hope for a good hit.
So many possible scenarios though, I'd just hope to be able to adjust to circumstances.

Those are just my thoughts though.
Some of the younger guys can really shoot.

mr surveyor
11-18-2009, 02:31 PM
To me, 7-10 yards may just be on the outside of the range of a typical self defense shooting situation. Aren't most self defense shootings in the "belly distance" out to about 5 yards? At those distances, instinctive point shooting is much faster. My reaction time and time needed to draw is probably around 2+ seconds, and an attacker on the move can probably easily cover 7-10 yards in that length of time. If the impending threat is recognized when the attacker is 10-15 yards away, he could easily close half that distance before I could have my handgun in a "ready position", and even more of that distance (if not all of it) before I could get a "sight picture". So now I've come full circle back to "belly distance". Beyond that 10 yard range, I figure you're most likely in a gunfight and should have brought something more substantial than a .380.

just my opinions

surv

zena
11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
All of my training/shooting is geared toward center mass. For competition this is obviously the best scoring area of the target. If I ever have to use this in a self defense situation I'm hoping my reflexes know where to point the gun. What do they say? "Perfect practice makes perfect." Whatever point of aim you use, practice it a lot.