PDA

View Full Version : inside of a holster

pacific nw guy
11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
i bought a holster for my pm40 and this may be a very dumb question but I am a newb.....it is from a company called pocketholsters.com

Kahr Arms Pocket/Wallet Holster (http://pocketholsters.com/Kahr_Arms_Pocket_Wallet_Holste/kahr_arms_pocket_wallet_holste.html)

knowing little about holsters but reading their site they seem to be well made. my question is the inside of the holster, it seems very rough. do some companies smooth this out so as not to wear on the gun? the gun fits nicely but it is a bit tight and the inside rather rough.

on another note I finally got to put 100 rounds through it today. no issues at all once I got it shooting. the only problem i encounter was getting the initial round to go in the chamber. I had to put the slide back a few times or take out the magazine and out it in again.

my only other shooting experience is with my xdm 9, this gun is a different beast all together. loud and strong, i like it! i need to learn to shoot it better but I like the idea of big power from a small package, this is what I wanted in a concealed carry weapon.

Spank the Monkey
11-18-2009, 09:29 PM
I've got one of them there holsters for an Rohrbaugh R9... I know what you're saying about the inside of your holster, however I've never experienced any appreciable wear from the 'rough side in' on any of my carry guns. My PM9 has ridden in a IWB leather rig for about a year now without getting scarred up. One way to look at it is that the rough side gives a little more retention or grip to secure your pistol. I know that some holster makers offer smooth side in options. There are a couple of holster makers here on the Forums that could articulate this far better than I can. Just my .02
Good shooting to ya & enjoy!

Grabbrass
11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
You've got to break that holster in. Think catcher's mitt. It's tight now because if it weren't, it'd be too loose after 1000 presentations. It's rough inside now because that texture will adapt to your pistol over time and aid retention and fit in the long run.

IMHO you couldn't have done any better. I'm drooling over that same holster, although the DeSantis Superfly and the pocket/wallet holster on the Kahr website are more in my budget. (I just bought a PM9094N ... basically I'm broke. :( )

Dietrich
11-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Don`t fret.Your handgun is in good hands with your holster.I`ve had holsters that had a rough interior and have had no ill effects on my firearms at all.You`re fine.

zena
11-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Load a mag in with the slide locked back and then use the slide release to load that first round in. You'll be all good to go. Enjoy!

pacific nw guy
11-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Load a mag in with the slide locked back and then use the slide release to load that first round in. You'll be all good to go. Enjoy!

i was doing just that but it was still hanging up. i wont note any concern until i get another 100+ rounds through it as I know it is not broken in.

bayoutrigger
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I bought a holster with the same problem. I was worried because some of the "fuzz" from the rough leather was getting on the gun. I spent time pushing and pulling the gun in and out to "break" in the holster and smooth things out. Finally, after getting a warning that I should not do it, I got some baseball glove conditioner and rubbed it on the rough inside of the holster. It worked great and did not compromise the shape and stability of the holster. Problem solved.