PDA

View Full Version : Punching Live Primers

OldLincoln
03-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Another lesson learned

Funny thing happened while cleaning the 3300 9mm casings I bought. I simply tossed them into the tumbler until the last few loads using a soup ladle I "borrowed" from the kitchen. Then I punched them in similar fashion. I did notice along the way an occasional casing that was exceptionally shiny inside, like copper. I was proud that my little tumbler could do such a wonderful job.

A couple days ago one of those flashed at me just before I punched it, and gasp, the primer hadn't fired! In fact it was never struck, but perfectly in tact. It occurred to me that I must have punched more than a dozen without even knowing it.

I started setting them aside and now have 15. If the distribution was fairly equal, and I recall seeing them from the start so I assume it was, I had 50 or more live primers in brand new casings. The headstamp top shows "R - P" with "9m/m LUGER" on the bottom. Unless you all tell me different, I'll charge & shoot them.

The interesting thing is how the prevailing wisdom is to soak the primers in oil and don spacewalk type clothing then very carefully punch the primer, or just shoot it. Other forums have said wear a safety shield and do it slow & smooth, yet here I was yanking on the handle punching them like a video game.

I don't say no sweat, but I will say they slide out very easily (yeah I did one just to feel it). I may be lucky, they may be duds, or it may just be the way things are. I don't claim to know but can tell you I no longer yank the handle but work it smoothly now. Also, I look at the primer to see that it has fired before I punch it.

Bawanna
03-05-2011, 09:34 PM
I'd not count on them working if thats what you mean by charging and shooting. I usually just punch them wearing my shooting glass's. I've never had one go off which is not to say that it won't.
I would not knowingly do so with my progressive as the powder measure and an open case with powder is in close proximity. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue either but while I like to live on the edge I'd prefer to skip that one.
It would be probably better if not as convenient to chamber them and shoot them. Would be interesting to see how many if any still work after a ride in the tumbler.

Sliebl
03-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Yeah, I'm with Bawanna. I'd not count on them being functional. They had their bullets pulled for a reason. You could load one or two using a starting load for your powder to see if they function before assembling all of them.
Or, you could consider those 15 primed cases to have $0.40 worth of primers in them, and just punch them out and start from scratch with those perty new cases.

I have had the occasion to punch out a few live primers, due to damaged brass, etc. Whenever I am reloading, I always wear my safety glasses. Always. I don't know about you guys, but I only got 2 eyes for this life, and I'd like to keep both of them fully functional as long as I can! :p Other than that precaution, I just push them out after emptying my spent primer tube so I can collect and reuse the live primer. In my case, I knew my primers were fine, so I reused them. Also, on my Lee Classic Turret press, the primers were removed with the decapping rod. They weren't smacked out with a hammer and punch.

Short primer story... I also reload 12ga shot shells for clay shooting using a MEC 9000g. On day I was cranking out 12ga on this progressive like there was no tomorrow (preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse?). Somehow, a single #8 lead shot dropped into the primer seating pocket prior to a primer being dispensed. I guess I should have seen the primer sitting crooked in it's little die. Well, upon pulling the handle the next time, that primer went off as the ram tried to seat that #8 shot up inside the primer cup!:eek: Also, luckily, the MEC 9000 drops the powder a split second after the primer seating is complete, so the live powder dropped after the primer exploded.

Well, I had my glasses on, but I don't wear hearing protection while reloading? Who does that?! So, after my ears stopped ringing, I cleaned up the press and from that moment on, always look at the new primer sitting flush before pulling the handle!

Sorry for the tangent to your post, OldLincoln. Hopefully I didn't derail it!

Tilos
03-06-2011, 08:25 AM
I think some new brass comes primed...or used to.
I recall buying some that way, and may explain OL's primed unloaded brass.
Here's the funny part...no hazmat for primed brass!
Tilos

MW surveyor
03-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I've got one fully loaded with the primer in upside down. (DON'T ASK! most likely a senior moment). May just dispose of the round after pulling the bullet and dumping the powder. Not sure if it is that safe to remove the primer with it upside down.

OldLincoln
03-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I had a primer that didn't go in right and experimented with "proper disposal. I put a drop of my Gunzilla in it and it soaked right in, so a couple more drops for good measure. I'd think you could do that give it time to soak then punch it slowly.

Tilos
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Why not take them into the garage and shoot them off with the muzzle in a rag?
...Done
Tilos

Bawanna
03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
I've got one fully loaded with the primer in upside down. (DON'T ASK! most likely a senior moment). May just dispose of the round after pulling the bullet and dumping the powder. Not sure if it is that safe to remove the primer with it upside down.

I've encountered factory loaded ammo with upside down primers. It happens.
That's why I tell the officers to inspect their duty rounds before they load them up.

mr surveyor
03-06-2011, 11:25 AM
how many of y'all have successfully loaded empty, primed brass into the chamber to pop the caps and not had the primer unseat and cause a problem in extracting the spent brass? I seem to have this problem every time I try to pop a cap in a semi or revolver. Since it's a fact that all primers unseat at the instant they detonate, and are only forced back into the primer pocket by the rearward reaction of the brass due to the ignition of the powder and momentum of the released projectile, then in the absense of that rearward force the primer unseats. I've gotten to the stage of not worrying about a recycled casing or so, and just drop the primed brass into a water bottle about half full of water for a long bath (weeks/months maybe). If I don't just stick them down in one of the stump holes in the yard prior to backfilling it, I'll knock out the dead primers then decide whether or not to use the brass or throw it into the pile for the salvage yard. One consideration, if you're one (like me) to pick up a lot of range brass for the salvage yard, never, ever let a primed casing get into the pile for the salvage yard. If they happen to see it (or have an unusual pop for some unknown reason) either you will be barred from selling your brass to that yard, or they will stop taking range brass altogether.

earle8888
03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I have punched live primers over the years, yes they bang BUT not to loud. Don't have a problem!