PDA

View Full Version : Self-reliance and a Kahr recommendation

kpm9
11-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Let me set the stage...
Last year, I was moving to San Antonio from Austin, to accept a better job. My sister in-law and here husband were very good to us and allowed us to stay with them while our house was being built in San Antonio.

There was some discussion, prior to the move-in about house rules, which while I don't agree with I accepted as they were being so gracious. Those rules concerned guns, as they didn't want their 5 yo son exposed to them. I had bought several Pelican boxes to hold and lock all guns safely away from youngsters and planned to keep them in a closet. They initially wanted me to leave them in the garage and I wasn't about to let a 20k+ gun collection rust away in an uncontrolled environment. After explaining this and taking my brother in-law shooting, they agreed but they need to remain unloaded and locked away. My carry piece was to remain in the car. :( Yeah... ok. :cool:
Again, I don't agree with the methodology, but they lean to the left ever so slightly. :confused:

Fast forward a year. We are all moved in to our new house, and received a call that they had been robbed. Yesterday, their house was broken into and some items were stolen. She actually returned home during the robbery and luckily they ran off with only a few items. She was fortunate as with robberies of this type, she didn't realize what had happened until being home.

We immediately went over to help clean up, etc.
Knowing how violated one feels when they've been robbed and how vulnerable they must have felt, I offered to lend my brother in-law a weapon, which they both thought was a very good idea. They had both mentioned how they "wished I had still been living there" and are now interested in pursuing their CHL.

I gave him my G26, as that was all I had for the evening and we are going to the range this morning to shot my Kahr PM9 and CW 9 and a little refresher for. I'm going to recommend the CW9 and a crimson trace for both of them. If he like the CW 9, I'll give it to him as a x-mas gift. If he likes the PM9, he's gonna have to buy it. :D and I'll get him the Crimson trace as a gift.

I'm happy they are safe and I'm happy they are taking the right steps to empower themselves with their own safety. It may not prevent another robbery, but they'll at least be able to defend themselves.

packinaglock
11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Sometimes it takes a good swift kick to knock sense into people. Glad they are ok though, hell I'll be your brother inlaw for a CW-9 :D

zena
11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
And I'll be your sister-in-law! :cheer2: Glad everyone came out of it OK.

kpm9
11-21-2009, 06:14 PM
:D

Thanks I'm very glad they are safe.

He did choose the CW9 after all!! He shot the G26, G19, PM9 and CW9 and choose the CW as he like the fit in his hand and he shot it great too. He was eyeballing the PM9 however.

I knew it would be a great choice for him. Afterwards I showed him how to clean it, boxed it up with some HP's and he went home with a near new CW9 and I'm sure a heightened self-confidence. Being from West Texas, he grew up all his life around firearms, but they didn't want to expose thier son to them and his wife didn't want them in the house.
A swift kick in the arse is right.

Before we went shooting I sent him the link to the crimson trace website and he thought it was really cool stuff. So, on the way home from the range he offered to buy us both one, since I gave him the CW9. Funny how that worked out. ;)

All's well than ends well.

Dietrich
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
They should consider themselves fortunate to have you in their family.I can`t think of a nicer gesture than the one that you made.You are a fine fellow indeed.

kpm9
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Thank you Sir.