PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing T9 discovery....

RUT
04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Just picked up my new T9 on Thursday, and just getting around to "prepping" it. The first thing I noticed was that barrel had an unusual amount of exterior surface wear, considering it should have only been test fired. Secondly, the barrel just won't clean up. There appears to be some "frosting" in a couple of areas that just won't come out. So, I'm not sure where this barrel came from, but it's going back to Kahr in the morning. Conversely, I got a new PM9 a week before, and it cleaned up like gang busters. Go figure...... :mad:

Bawanna
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
That is bad news. Do keep us posted as the saga continues. You just gonna see about sending just the barrel or the whole gun?

The rest looks ok?

RUT
04-03-2011, 05:59 PM
The rest of the gun looks fine, so my preference is to just send the barrel back. I'll give that English bloke a call in the morning and plead my case.

CJB
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM
My PM45 showed a bit a wear on the barrel, but after me racking it umpty-jillion times it has a lot more. I thought it "normal" amount of wear for a gun that had been test fired and racked a few dozen times in the store as well.

As for "frosting" if its inside the barrel, dont sweat it. The barrels are nickel plated, and actually the finish will wear bright on those. The inside is also nickel. If you have some rough plating, the first few jacketed bullets will remedy that situation. I'd definitely shoot jacketed, not plated, not lead for the first few boxes. I bet it cleans up just fine after that.

RUT
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
>>As for "frosting" if its inside the barrel, dont sweat it<<

Well, you may be correct, but I'm still gonna give them a call tomorrow and get their take on it. I've had a whole lot of guns over the past 45+ years, and I've come to expect a bore free of abberations. (except old milsurps) The gun was shipped in on special order, so it didn't get "racked" by prospective customers in a gun shop. That part I can live with... it's the bore that's got me upset. If Kahr tells me to go ahead and shoot it I'll go ahead and shoot it. If the fix is as simple as that I'll be very happy. If that doesn't work I guess a new barrel is in store. And by the way, I only shoot jacketed rounds. :)

Thanks for the advise....

===RUT===

Bawanna
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Excellent plan. That's what I would do. Keep Kahr in the loop. I had similar thoughts like CJB but might be good to run it by Kahr first also.
Get name, I think the english blokes name is Eoin. Not sure how he reacts to enlish bloke so might want to use another discriptor to get him.

Be nice, but concerned and I think all will work out just fine and dandy. Kind of curious what they will tell ya. I suspect shoot it is gonna be the first plan.

RUT
04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
>>I think the english blokes name is Eoin<<

If that's how he spells his name I suspect he's a Welsh bloke. ;)

CJB
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Not sure how he reacts to enlish bloke so might want to use another discriptor to get him.

They respond well to "...'ey ya bleedin' pillock, I thinkyew got a right nasty cockup on this one!"

MikeyKahr
04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Bummer about the T9 barrel, do you have the capability to take a pic and post it? I'm interested to see of what you're talking about.

Bawanna
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
They respond well to "...'ey ya bleedin' pillock, I thinkyew got a right nasty cockup on this one!"

Wow, you guys are worldly in spades. Theres a music to the language, course I don't understand much anyhow.

I do believe that is how he spells it, at least that's what I've seen posted here before rather than the previous Ian.

Welsh be it I guess.

RUT
04-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Just got off the phone with a non Welsh bloke named "Jay". He's emailing me a FedEx return label, and has instructed me to return the entire gun to them vs. just the barrel. It'll be interesting to see what they come back with, although I suspect it'll just be a new barrel.

jocko
04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
>>I think the english blokes name is Eoin<<

If that's how he spells his name I suspect he's a Welsh bloke. ;)

have just sent u a new barrel but I am going to asssume kahr wants to make the sure barrel fit is right to, so some test firing wold be required. As longas they are poaying the freight, yoiu did the right thing to. your barrel might be OK to but you paid good money for it, so let them review it and decide.

First ever T9 report we haqve had of anything not being right. Super peace. They might want to re examine the slide being you reported to them excessive wear on the outside. Better safe than sorry.
It won't be gone long either.

Bawanna
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM
If he spells it "Jay" you reckon hes from New Jersey?

What kind of lingo they speak in Jersey.

Apologies in advance to anyone who lives there. Sombody must live there right? That girl on Coyote Ugly lived there.

jocko
04-04-2011, 09:32 AM
It is eion who is British, not jay..

Bawanna
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
It is eion who is British, not jay..

So no British blokes live in Jersey with Jay? Bly me.

RUT
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
>>They might want to re examine the slide being you reported to them excessive wear on the outside.<<

Jocko,

No wear on the slide or the rest of the gun. It's the barrel that seems to have a bit more than I would have thought. (My PM9 had none) I could live with that, as it may be SOP, but the bore is another matter. I just printed off the FedEx return label, and will be running it up for shipment this 'aft. :)

===RUT===

mity2
04-08-2011, 08:33 AM
i had very similer experience with my T-9 when i got it back in last september...
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3497

RUT
04-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Mity.... Thanks much for the input here. Your barrel looks (or looked) very much like mine, so I'm glad I wasn't imagining things here. I would think they'd have spare barrels on hand, and would be surprised if they had to have one specially made, but only time will tell. Hmmm, I wonder if they'll "jewel" my barrel too? And BTW, I had to send the whole gun back as well. As an aside, I recently had a similiar experience with a new Dan Wesson barrel (15-2) I ordered directly from them, and I had to send it back for the same reason. Doesn't say much for their Q.C. does it? :rolleyes:

mity2
04-10-2011, 06:55 AM
As I have stated on my initial thread, every manufactures does put out duds.
Funny you mention about Dan Wesson. I have DanWesson's CBOB, and it too needed to go back to the factory(its a shack more like, if you ever seen DanWesson facitlity in Norwich NY. I used to live in Oneonta NY, which is about 10min drive from them).
My Grip safety CBOB did not work. Trigger moved regardless of grip safety pushed in or out(a cretical oversight by QC if you ask me:eek:).

Seems that the smaller the manufacture, more duds they put out...

ripley16
04-10-2011, 07:02 AM
i had very similer experience with my T-9 when i got it back in last september...
http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3497

My T9 is still jealous of your T9. :D

jocko
04-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Mity.... Thanks much for the input here. Your barrel looks (or looked) very much like mine, so I'm glad I wasn't imagining things here. I would think they'd have spare barrels on hand, and would be surprised if they had to have one specially made, but only time will tell. Hmmm, I wonder if they'll "jewel" my barrel too? And BTW, I had to send the whole gun back as well. As an aside, I recently had a similiar experience with a new Dan Wesson barrel (15-2) I ordered directly from them, and I had to send it back for the same reason. Doesn't say much for their Q.C. does it? :rolleyes:

think kahrs jewels barrels. I hadmy PM9 jeweled by cylinder and slide when I had alot of expesdnive wasted money spent on it., the jeweling lasted about 200 rounds and it was dman near invisible after that. think about it??. they shoulodhave spare barre4ls, but hell one never knows, these cokmpanies todasy like to have as little of inventory as possable, it seems. I tink kahr machines their barrels from a rifled blank made by an outside vendor. I know they get therir lothar barrels in 3 foot blanck alraedy polygonal rifled and then kahr does the cutting and machining etc and then send the barreels out for nickel plating etc. .

RUT
04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Well, I sent it back to them last Monday (4/4) and FedEx attempted to deliver it back to me on Friday. (4/8) Can't beat that for turnaround, but unfortunately, I was out of town and unable to receive it. So, I guess I'll get to see the results tomorrow. :)

RUT
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
FedEx truck just delivered my T9 back to me. Enclosed "Technical Service Work Sheet" merely stated "Inspected gun. Replaced barrel. Lubed and test fired. Good" No jewelling on new barrel however. :p

I promptly tore it down, and the new barrel looks the way a new barrel should. Not too happy with their initial Q.C., but their follow-up customer service was great! :)

Bawanna
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Awesome, now take the day off and go shoot it and come back and tell us about your 1 hole groups at 50 yards or if that don't work, try the truth.

I'm glad they got you taken care of. Sad that some of that bad stuff seems to get thru the QC dept but it does.

Bill K
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Rut,

As the saying goes... "All's well that ends well." Also, by you showing patience and not going ballistic Kahr has actually helped to make you a better person. :)

Semper Fi,
Bill K.

Chuck54
04-15-2011, 04:57 PM
I hope your T9 shoots as good as mine...........I wish I could shoot as good mine :)

CJB
04-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Jewelling.....

Off topic, but I once owned a Detonics Combat Master... and got a wild hair up my butt and decided to go to town with it.

So, I surface ground the slide's flats to within .0005" of being flat and parallel, re-engraved the Detonics name and logo on the pantograph, and jewelled the outside. Very pretty. The hammer, trigger, slidestop, and thumb safety also got the same jewel treatment. "Engine turned" is a more correct term. Shortly thereafter, I decided it was too pretty to carry, or to shoot, and sold it for an outrageous sum to (I think) a famous fight promoter with tall silver streaked hair.

If anybody sees that pistol out there....it was mine!

dannyeller
04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
First ever T9 report we haqve had of anything not being right. Super peace. They might want to re examine the slide being you reported to them excessive wear on the outside. Better safe than sorry.
It won't be gone long either.

I had a great deal of issues with my T9. One being that the chamber was out of round and caused an unusual bulge from the chamber base up to about an 1/8th of an inch from the rim. Took some time and shipping charges to get it right.

See my full post on the issues in the T9 string on "T9 back from Robar w/pics".