PDA

View Full Version : Magazine not droping freely

SureShot
11-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi all, I just bought a new CW9, haven’t even had a chance to take it to the range yet. I’ve noticed that the magazine dose not drop out of the magazine well freely, will drop about a half inch and you have to pull it out. I wouldn’t think this would affect the firing of the gun, but makes it hard to do a fast reload. Did anyone else have this problem? And if so what did you do about it? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Paul

jocko
11-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Hi all, I just bought a new CW9, haven’t even had a chance to take it to the range yet. I’ve noticed that the magazine dose not drop out of the magazine well freely, will drop about a half inch and you have to pull it out. I wouldn’t think this would affect the firing of the gun, but makes it hard to do a fast reload. Did anyone else have this problem? And if so what did you do about it? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Paul

my PM9 does not either and that suits me fine. It drops about like yours does. I personally don't want my magazines dropping allover the place either. If I now bump- the magazine release button, I do not have to worrya bout it flying all over hell. Not sure how much faster you could be than Iam withmy PM9 in loading the second magazine but most also never carry a spare magazine so for most it is a mute point.

What can u do to free it up??Some have filed some of the webbing on the inside of the grip well to free it up. it is proably not touching as much as one would think. Not sure sending it back will get it fixed either, as I don't see anywhere that it states that the magazines have to fall freely. the way it is set up now it willnot effect reliability one bit either. I took a dremel and cut mag well cut outs in my PM9 to help. I like mine just the way it is and if it fell out as u want, I proably would like it also. My G19 will drop um with an unloaded magazine but with a loaded magazine it drops about t505 of the time, again, I just never really pay any attention to that.
It doesn't really make it that hard to get the magazine out IMO...

enjoy your cw9, it is one hell of a handgun and I think you will love it to death to. Take your time breaking it in, shoot fmj ammo for break in, it is alot cheaper . Once it gets broekn in and reliable, then find the defense round of your choosing and test it out..

Nice gun indeed.

SureShot
11-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the advice Jocko. I don't think this was a big dill, just wanted to know if this was normal.
Thanks again
Paul

MattTheKnife
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
The magazines on my CW9 would not prop free either. Over time, the magazines will wear in and this will not be much of a problem. You can remove some of the material from the mag-well with a Dremel tool. I polished my magazines and the inside of the mag-well with my Dremel tool. That helped a little.

The two things that really help are:

1) Flick your wrist as you depress the mag release. The extra momentum will usually get the mag to drop free.

2) Run your mags through a metal-framed Kahr. The metal mag-well does a really nice job of removing material/polishing the sides of the magazines.

RiskPro
12-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Just picked up my cw9 yesterday and the mag that came with it will not drop free. However, an extra Kahr mag I purchased drops free very well. So I think the issue for me may be the mag rather than the magwell.

I emailed Kahr tech support a few mins ago to see if there is an easy fix.

Will post back if thier response

RiskPro
12-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Wow; I emailed Kahr last night and they go they got back to me first thing this morning. I am to send the mag back and they'll replace it. No RMA, etc.

While I'll pay $2 to get it to them I am impressed with a) how fast they repsonded and b) they took me at my word.

jocko
12-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Wow; I emailed Kahr last night and they go they got back to me first thing this morning. I am to send the mag back and they'll replace it. No RMA, etc.

While I'll pay $2 to get it to them I am impressed with a) how fast they repsonded and b) they took me at my word.

know if that solves ur concern. Indeed good service...

Cornhusker
12-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Neither one of my magazines (the one that came with the pistol and the one that I bought) drop free. I've never considered it a problem so I've left it alone. Hope the new mag works for you.

jocko
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Neither one of my magazines (the one that came with the pistol and the one that I bought) drop free. I've never considered it a problem so I've left it alone. Hope the new mag works for you.

either, actually I kinda now have gotten used to it dropping about 1/2" and not flying all over the place. I don't carry a spare magazine, so to me anyhow it really doesn't matter and I really would not think it would slow down one doing any tactical reloading either. YMMV.:)

If I can't do it in 7 shots, more than likely, I ain't gonna do it at all.....

RiskPro
12-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I plan to get the replacement but am really of mixed opinion as well. There are good arguments for both but I'm planning to shoot IDPA with it and hope to get quick, smooth mag changes.

But I think you hit it on the head; it's really most important that it suits your preference and need. So, it is good for everyone to be very type-A about what they like if they are carrying for personal defense.

I'll post on how the mag changes go in IDPA once I have more practical experience. Because for now I am just guessing on what I need or prefer!

johnh
12-16-2009, 11:06 AM
IDPA will probably make you prefer dropping mags, but I personally do not feel this should be seen as a major issue. Realistic defensive situations probably will see you fire less than one magazine in a hurry. You may never get to the point of changing them. If there is enough lead flying to require that, you should be taking cover at some point and doing changes there. Competitions emphasize speed to the point that it can induce some unrealistic behavior. Still, they are hard to beat for a way to practice running and gunning in various challenging situations.

John

jocko
12-16-2009, 01:39 PM
No IDPA ranges around here for many hundred miles, at age 66 running is certainly not my forte. Gunning is, I like to shoot and I hate to pick things up off the ground anymore, guess age plays alot of that. I can certainly understand competition shooting where maybe dropping mags is OK. If that was the case, I more than likely would not be shooting a kahr anyways. Probably my G19 would be most proper in that case, as not only it will drop magazines, I am 10X more accurate with it than my kahrs. But oh my do I love to shoot my PM9 more than any gun I presently own.

Cornhusker
12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
either, actually I kinda now have gotten used to it dropping about 1/2" and not flying all over the place. I don't carry a spare magazine, so to me anyhow it really doesn't matter and I really would not think it would slow down one doing any tactical reloading either. YMMV.:)

If I can't do it in 7 shots, more than likely, I ain't gonna do it at all.....

I only bought one extra mag for the range. Makes it marginally faster to eat up the ammo.;)

97trakin
12-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello all.
My original mag on the CW-9 did the same thing. I bought another kahr mag for it that dropped free. Upon close inspection I found that the feed lips on the original mag were spread a little bit more than the mag I bought. A quick squeez with some pliers and it falls free also ;).