PDA

View Full Version : Advise needed

O'Dell
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Hi guys. A friend approached me today to ask about the value of a gun he has looked at. It's an NRA 125 year anniversary Springfield 1911 A1 with scroll work and gold inlay. The pistol has never been shot and has been in a presentation case since new.

I know next to nothing about collector guns, so if anyone has a idea of its value, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
O'Dell

Bawanna
04-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I looked a bit but couldn't find any for comparison. I did find that there were 525 made. One place said they sell probably for about a 1000 bucks. He's seen used but unfired in the box selling for around 950.

So that might be a good starting point. There are none for sale on gunbroker at the moment.

Alot depends on if you can find someone that really wants one bad.

O'Dell
04-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks Bawanna, I would have guessed more. I just paid $800 for a loaded Lightweight Springfield 1911.

jlottmc
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
This being the year of the 1911, that is going to be a hard piece to price out. Thing is, with a 1911, the value is entirely dependent on who made it. I know of some high end 1911's that come out of the same shop, but because one smitty made it, commands a little more. That is the world of the 1911. Good Luck. If it were me, I'd see what the NRA sells them at and maybe take 10-15% off that.

Bawanna
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Bawanna, I would have guessed more. I just paid $800 for a loaded Lightweight Springfield 1911.

That was my initial thought also and why I didn't hazard a guess. Like theres a million winchester commemoratives and they just don't have a ton of value because there are so many. Initially they sell for more cause people like em and want them but then they seem to go dormant.

I'd not take my numbers for solid either until you find something to compare it to. One that's actually sold. It's like a pickup truck it's worth whatever anyone is willing to pay.

Look at the AO presentation 1911. It's going for around 12 or 13 and it's a true custom built 1911 by a gunsmith fit by hand, not a production line gun with some pretty's added. The springfield might be the same, I'm not all that up on that one but theres a comparison anyhow.