PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Chronograph results and mini range report

HadEmAll
04-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Broke in my new PM9 last week. I put 100 rounds of FMJ though it first to get the barrel "broken in". This was 50 CCI Blazer 115 grain FMJ's and 50 AE 115 grain FMJ's. No problems with anything fired that day, even right out of the box.

As I've come to expect from the polymer Kahrs, they are very rough in assembly and disassembly, no matter how much excercising you put them through, until you actually shoot them a bit. That seems to add the final touches in making them come apart/go together properly.

Average of 5 shots each. 80 degrees F.

Federal 115 grain +P+ JHP (9BPLE) - 1144 fps - 336 ft/lbs ME
Winchester Ranger 115 grain +P+ JHP - 1217 fps - 380 ft/lbs ME
Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ JHP - 1120 fps - 356 ft/lbs ME
Speer Gold Dot 115 grain +P+ JHP - 1223 fps - 384 ft/lbs ME

Winchester PersProtect (WWB) 115 grain JHP- 1012 fps - 263 ft/lbs ME

The Speer 115 grain +P+ brass only got tossed about 6 feet, so it seems to be well within the PM9 springing. It's what I'm going to carry for right now.

I did have to do some trimming of material off the inside-the-slide portion of the slidestop with a diamond file to make myself feel better about clearance between it and the bullets, especially the Speer 115 +P+, which seems to be seated out a little farther than the other 115's. I guess to cram all that powder in there.:)

I kept working at it until I could get a folded dollar bill between the bullet and the slidestop. Still plenty of contact between the slide stop and the follower.

No failures to feed with anything in 152 rounds. Looking forward to shooting it some more.

OldLincoln
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
>> The Speer 115 grain +P+ brass only got tossed about 6 feet, so it seems to be well within the PM9 springing. It's what I'm going to carry for right now. <<

Pardon my learning curve, but does the recoil spring relate to where the brass flies? My PM9 flings brass over the top of the bay, over my head behind me and everywhere else up to 20' away. When I replace them it will be with Wolf 22# or whatever it is that Jocko said. Question is, should it be now?

Bill K
04-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for a very informative range report. That's some pretty hot ammo you tested. Is it that you don't feel comfortable carrying a short barrel nine with just standard or +P pressure ammo?

I want about honing my slidestop using a different methodology. I would "feed" the bullet in the mag so that when inserting the mag the bullet tip would just clear the feed ramp. With the mag release held down I would push and pull the mag in and out which resulted in 124 grain bullet being scratched. Hone a bit, rotate bullet and repeat until no longer getting scratched. Checked several brands and honed a bit and tested until bullets were no longer showing scratches.

Take care...

jocko
04-09-2011, 12:58 PM
smart fix, IMO.

HadEmAll
04-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks for a very informative range report. That's some pretty hot ammo you tested. Is it that you don't feel comfortable carrying a short barrel nine with just standard or +P pressure ammo?

Take care...

A fair question. It's just that it is the only JHP 9mm ammo I had on hand currently other than the Winchester PP 115. I've been using the +P+ in a Beretta 90two, Sig 2022, and a couple of Beretta PX4SC's with no sign of excessive pressure. The 115 grain Winchester PP JHP was so anemic out of the PM9 I didn't even consider carrying that.

As far as shooting it in the PM9, I examined the fired casings and the primers looked good with no sign of intruding into the firing pin hole, and no excessive primer wipe, so I may just stay with it for carry purposes. I only shoot it in limited numbers, and use standard FMJ for practice.

If I had any indication that it was too severe on the PM9 from the primer condition, or if the PM9 was throwing the empties 30 feet away, I'd stop it immediately.

HadEmAll
04-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I want about honing my slidestop using a different methodology. I would "feed" the bullet in the mag so that when inserting the mag the bullet tip would just clear the feed ramp. With the mag release held down I would push and pull the mag in and out which resulted in 124 grain bullet being scratched. Hone a bit, rotate bullet and repeat until no longer getting scratched. Checked several brands and honed a bit and tested until bullets were no longer showing scratches.

Take care...

My rationale was based on the knowledge that all (at least all the ones I've been exposed to) Kahr magazines don't really control the top round all that well. The top round, whether in the pistol, or carried as a spare, is very prone to not staying to the rear of the magazine. That top round in all the .40 Kahr magazines I've seen is prone to "flopping" around, for lack of a better term. When the slide goes to the rear during recoil, and before the top round is stripped from the magazine and fed into the chamber, there is that millisecond where that "flop" could nudge the slidestop based on my eyeball judgement. I was just trying to increase the "flop" room in a not really very scientific manner.

I guess further shooting will allow me to see. What I did might have been needless, it was just a judgement call that day. Nobody was there to try to talk me out of it.

pappy42
04-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Jocko's signature makes me grin!

Jeff00042
04-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Jocko: When your PM9 finally croaks, are you going to have it bronzed?

jocko
04-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Jocko: When your PM9 finally croaks, are you going to have it bronzed?

a feeling I will craok before it does. I can replace slide stop sprngs, but some of the parts on my body are just no0 replaceable. Some guns have to many rounds, jocko's body has to many miles. I will take it with me when I die, for I may have to shoot mywayinto heavenh, or shoot my way out of hell. either one the PM9 willbe there. :popcorn:

JodyH
04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I did some PM9 chrono works a few months back.

Black Hills 115gr Tac-XP +P : 1071 fps
Winchester Ranger T 127gr. +P+ : 1129 fps
Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr. +P : 969 fps
Winchester Value Pack 115gr. FMJ : 1032 fps