PDA

View Full Version : K9 Trigger Question

Jerry1834
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Hello! New here and have a trigger question. I have read all the past threads about the NYPD and Elite triggers so I called Kahr and asked if I could get an up-grade. My K9 was probably made in 1997 (SN ARO 9XX) and I have been the owner since it was born.

I had it Magna-Ported back then and sure keep the sights lined up on a double tap.

Anyway, just didn't care for that 4 mile travel in the trigger. So, it became a safe queen.

Well, tucked away in the back of the safe for a long time, this last week I got the bug about carrying it. Its finish is SS and would work well in the hot summers in Florida.

So, I reached someone in Kahr customer service and they told me they could only upgrade a NYPD type trigger....Is this true????? From the threads, I would think, I could get a Elite trigger conversion.

Need some input....Thank's

ripley16
04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
The elite trigger is the only other trigger Kahr makes, so it would be an upgrade, or at least a shorter pull, than your current trigger, which is the longer NTPD trigger. It wasn't called that in '97.

jocko
04-10-2011, 06:09 AM
if u have the NYPD trigger, it can be upgraded to the elite trigger. Let me state my case first to you., I have the NYPD trigger in mY K9 and I have the elite in the PM9. I can't tell the damn difference, Honest. I shoot the K9 better

The NYPD trigger has a 1/2" travel in it the elite has a 3/8" travel in it, So the only difference is 1/8". One IMO has to be one hell of a shooter to be able to tell that difference . But putting that all aside. Here is what I cal the deal breaker. You have to send the gun to them and it will cost you anywhere from $50 to 80 to do that. We just had a poster here that paid $90 to send his kahr back. Now kahr is going to put in the elite trigger at a cost of around $100 including labor, and then your gonna pay postage back, which at kahrs expense could be around $50. IS IT WORTH THIS???

It's not like the NYPD trigger is a poor trigger or that it s a cheapo system. It is not, it was just a requirement by the nypd dept that they wanted on their guns. I think the elite word is alittle over blown, as there is nothing elite about it except 1/8". If that floats your boat, indeed go for it. It will if you ever trade that gun never get u one dime back either. I am assuming your kahr might be the carbon steel version also and not the stainless version???

90% of all K9'
s todasy that are out there have the NYPD trigger, most know absolutely no difference between the to.

Now if you need to do this call kahr and ask for Jay or Eion and get a final price including postage. Good luck.

Jerry1834
04-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Well, I call Kahr again on Monday and see about sending it back. Hope I don't get the same guy. I was told they would only convert the NYPD triggers that were shipped and marked on the box that way....My box has no makings that shows that...

Anyone know of any gunsmiths that knurl the front grip strap?

Right side of the frame between the Cal and the Serial # it says stainless. Back when I got it I presumed it was SS.

Maybe time for a range trip and give the trigger another try. I have that type of finger that can tell the difference in 1/8 and a 1/2 been shooting for over 45 years.

Jerry

ripley16
04-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Now if you need to do this call kahr and ask for Jay or Eion and get a final price including postage. Good luck.

My K9 was returned and converted by Kahr to the shorter elite trigger. The guy I bought the gun from said it cost him $125.

cgarcop
04-10-2011, 08:25 AM
My K9 was returned and converted by Kahr to the shorter elite trigger. The guy I bought the gun from said it cost him $125.

Sounds right. When Kahr returned my MK9 to me, an insert in the package advertised the trigger conversion for that price, along with some other tune up services.

I just looked at the kahr parts page for the K9. Seems you can get all the parts you need for less than half that price.
How difficult of a job would it be if the OP wanted to do it himself ? Doesnt sound like there are any differences in the frame itself. Would it just be a matter of swapping out the trigger, trigger bar, spring and some other parts or would there be any machining involved ?

jocko
04-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Well, I call Kahr again on Monday and see about sending it back. Hope I don't get the same guy. I was told they would only convert the NYPD triggers that were shipped and marked on the box that way....My box has no makings that shows that...

Anyone know of any gunsmiths that knurl the front grip strap?

Right side of the frame between the Cal and the Serial # it says stainless. Back when I got it I presumed it was SS.

Maybe time for a range trip and give the trigger another try. I have that type of finger that can tell the difference in 1/8 and a 1/2 been shooting for over 45 years.

Jerry

stainless then. I think you read me wrong. the nypod trigger as a 1/2" trigger travel and the elite has a 3/8" trigger travel. the difference of the two is only 1/8" difference in travel.. there is not a difference of `1/2".

Not trying to talk you out of it, I was merely pointing out the overall cost for `1/8" less travel..

Jerry1834
04-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Jocko,

I read you right but I typed it wrong....Should have read 3/8 and 1/2....was thinking the difference in the two when I typed it.

Before I do anything I'll make a few trips to the range first. Starting Tuesday night!

Any suggestion on who could (in florida) knurl the front grip strap. I used to do things like that years ago but I given it up with all the tools.

PaiN
04-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Jocko is right on about the Kahr triggers.....I have shot many Kahrs and there is so little difference in feel while actually shooting the guns that its not even worth talking about. That includes follow up shots....I can light off an entire mag or controlled pairs form the K9 as fast as any other Kahr.(almost as fast as my Glocks too...)

Jerry1834
04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
One thing I have learned is to always ask questions when it comes to changing something that works. No sense trying to invent the wheel more than once. Unless you just need something to do.

Sometimes better...isn't! Thanks for the input....

zombie
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I just looked at the kahr parts page for the K9. Seems you can get all the parts you need for less than half that price.
How difficult of a job would it be if the OP wanted to do it himself ? Doesnt sound like there are any differences in the frame itself. Would it just be a matter of swapping out the trigger, trigger bar, spring and some other parts or would there be any machining involved ?

I performed the swap myself just a few weeks ago, the hardest part of the job was getting the trigger pivot pin out, I didn't make any progress until I broke down and got a cheap tabletop arbor press from harbor freight. Taking a hammer and punch to that pin was nerve wracking to say the least :D Here's the parts I ordered from Kahr:

009K9E Trigger
010K9E Trigger Spring
013K9E Trigger Bar
014K9E Trigger Bar Spring

Honestly, only the trigger part looked noticeably different, everything else looked pretty much identical, at least to my eyes :confused:

Getting things back together was somewhat of a challenge, it helps to have some pick type tools handy. If you have fat fingers you're going to have problems :D

Also the cocking cam pin at the rear of the frame comes out very easily, my advice to you is make sure it doesn't! I swear getting the cocking cam pieces that sandwich that little coil spring back altogether and into place was more of a pain than reinstalling the new trigger assembly, at least for me :mad: So tape up the rear to keep it all in place while working on the trigger.

jocko
04-12-2011, 05:40 PM
I would think the hole in the trigger is drilled differently to give that extra 1/8" less or more travel. being you had both triger bars to look at and u see there is no difference, maybe it is just the trigger itself, but Ilike you wold order those 4 parts listed and better yet if the fokker is not broken, don't fix it.

agree with the cocking cam and cam spring, that is a real *****, and might I refer to my past last sentence on that to..

ripley16
04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Jocko is right on about the Kahr triggers.....I have shot many Kahrs and there is so little difference in feel while actually shooting the guns that its not even worth talking about. That includes follow up shots....I can light off an entire mag or controlled pairs form the K9 as fast as any other Kahr.(almost as fast as my Glocks too...)

On this point my opinion differs. I couldn't stand the long pull on my first K9, but the shorter pull on my newest K9 is much nicer. The original trigger just never, ever seemed to break... it seemed to go on forever. The trigger was the reason I sold it.

Some folks may not mind or care, but a few of us do think the shorter elite trigger is the better choice.

Jerry1834
04-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Range report....well, I shot 100 rds from the K9 and the trigger isn't that bad but needs some getting used too. Haven't given up yet! May be after a 1000 rds I will decide if it needs a trigger change.

TonySoprano
04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
its easy to do it yourself just order the elite trigger,spring and spacer. My E-9 is a 1997 also I I changed mine in 2000. I can't tell the difference on the range but with my large hands the elite trigger just feels better for me

Gideon
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi all, old post but it cost's $150 and that covers return shipment. You pay whatever you pay to ship. I have a K9 I'm thinking of doing it to. I also have a P9, MK9 and P380. I notice it but have been on the fence for years about spending this kind of money. My P9's trigger is a LOT better.

I've learned over the years that an 1/8" may not mean much when you're building a house but when it comes to guns and holsters it can seem like a huge difference. If you can afford it and you plan on keeping the gun for life, go for it. If you can forget it and it never bothers you again, save the money and buy a great holster or lots' of ammo.

I think eventually I'll get it because I'm always seeing the difference when I shoot it side by side with my MK or my P.

Gideon