PDA

View Full Version : OWB Holster Recommendations for MK9

dss07
04-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Hello to all. Would appreciate recommendations for OWB holsters for an MK9. I am not interested in IWB carry. I am looking to purchase a leather rig and a kydex one, so would like recommendations for both. On kydex, I am leaning heavily towards Raven Concealment, but open to other options. Have also looked at Fist.

Most important criteria for me are (1) concealability, (2) adequate retention with ease of draw in defensive situations and (3) quality/durability. Cost is not really an issue.

Extra bonus points for pictures that reflect concealability factor.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

TheGreatGonzo
04-20-2011, 05:55 AM
DSS07,
Like you, I don't carry IWB, even with my little MK9. I prefer OWB even with small guns.

Kydex: I recently purchased a Raven Concealment rig for my MK9 (got it here on the forums). I don't normally like kydex, but I'm a huge fan of Raven Concealment and have them for a couple of my full size pistols. Like all Raven rigs I have owned, the workmanship and quality is excellent. Both the pistol and the mags conceal very well under a light t-shirt. I wanted it for my MK9 primarily to wear when I'm out on the boat. I feel like the Kydex rig and the stainless MK9 make an excellent combination around salt water. I'm very, very pleased with the rig.

Leather: I have two leather rigs I wear with the MK9. The first is a Mitch Rosen 5JR. The workmanship is perfect and it conceals like it is not there. The 2nd is a Ritchie Leather CQ-QR. I paid a bit of a premium to get it "in stock" from Lightning Arms, but it was worth it to not have to wait. Like the Rosen, it is beautifully made and concealment is excellent.

MK9 holsters can be tough to find. I constantly cruise the classifieds on the gun forums and sometimes get lucky.
Best regards,
Gonzo

hollander
04-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Look at Ryan Grizzle Leather. I have one of his holsters for my EMP and just ordered the High Country for my MK40. Ryan does excellent work, well made, good looking, and reasonable turnaround times. He also will customize it to your specific needs/tastes. Prices are very reasonable as well.

dss07
04-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Gonzo and Hollander.