PDA

View Full Version : PM45....ported?

PaiN
04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Did Kahr ever sell a ported PM45?
I was calling around today looking for a CM9, got to talking with the sales guy. He said the shop just took in a super clean PM45 with "factory porting" :confused: He said this PM is in pristine condition but only comes with one mag, he'd let it go for $500....

hmmmmm :D

Bawanna
04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I sure don't recall ever hearing of one. I wonder if it went to magna port? They sure look factory when they come back.

I'm pondering sending my PM45 off for the Magna Port treatment. It really don't need it but it looks real cool and it certainly can't hurt anything. Might tone down the flip a little.

At 500, I believe I'd scoop it up, especially if it is Magna Ported. I wonder if its one of those longer barrel types where it's ported in front of the slide?

Worth going to look at anyhow.

CJB
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
The only auto I ever ported...

I took a .45 Commander, and ported it. I EDM'd trapezoids in the barrel, behind the bushing, and I EDM'd ovals in the slide to correspond with the trapezoids. I had to enlarge the ovals twice in order for it to function (that is, let enough gas out). Then the problem was the bushing would get debris on it, and I'd have failure to go into battery. So... I reduced the diameter of the barrel about .005 overall, and that left a more pronounced fitted area for the bushing. Then I ground splines in the barrel's bushing area. Those were about .025 wide by about .010 deep. The splines did the trick, and the dirt and crap just pushed out the spline grooves, past the bushing.

If someone said port this PM, I'd put in a longer barrel and port the part that sticks out. I think someone here had one like that.

CJB
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Bawanna, I'd leave it alone. The PM's have a rather large open ejection port, where the clearance cut is. You're gonna get gas and debris come out of there like poo fountain with every shot. I cant see any port on the forward part of the slide overcoming poo coming out that side opening.

I've ported lots of revolvers and single shots for me, and for customers, but... when you port the auto's... there is a lot more involved.

jocko
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Did Kahr ever sell a ported PM45?
I was calling around today looking for a CM9, got to talking with the sales guy. He said the shop just took in a super clean PM45 with "factory porting" :confused: He said this PM is in pristine condition but only comes with one mag, he'd let it go for $500....

hmmmmm :D

if u don't mind is full of crapola!!!

but the price is good.

jocko
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I have my Pm9 ported, My G19 ported my K9 ported all by magna port. NO poo fountain crapola that ur talking about. Shot magna ported guns for over 30 years, I centainly think mag na port knows how to port semi's. Probably in my 30+ years of owning guns, have had at least a dozen or more by magna port..I don't want to dispute what your work has shown but I certainly have a very good idea how magna ports system works and no POO on any of my guns. I think Bawanna has a magna ported K9. No bushings in the PM45 by kahr

PaiN
04-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Sooooo.....If the PM45 in question has ports then they are likely aftermarket.

This shop is not exactly close, I don't know if its worth the ride(with gas >$4.00/gal) to maybe find some possible basement drill press special....and where the hell is its second mag?? ;)

Bawanna
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Sooooo.....If the PM45 in question has ports then they are likely aftermarket.

This shop is not exactly close, I don't know if its worth the ride(with gas >$4.00/gal) to maybe find some possible basement drill press special....and where the hell is its second mag?? ;)

Maybe they would send you a picture. Should be able to tell if it the drill press special or Magna Port.
I have a K40 magna ported, it worked well.

CJB
04-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I have my Pm9 ported...NO poo fountain crapola that ur talking about.

I'm glad! The clearance cut does present a problem for egress. Did they port the slide and barrel? I'd LOVE to see a picture.

Try not to confuse the two scenario's I mentioned Jocko. The 1911 worked great, but during its perfection, I did encounter the space between the barr el and slide becoming pressurized, and the slide wouldn't hardly cycle at all! The extra venting fixed that. I know there is a LOT of gas that is created when you have to run the ports back a little more, since the 1911's have the bushing right were you'd like the ports to end up. The splined bushing thing, come to recall it more... was probably due to the lubed lead bullets, that I had an unlimited supply of at the time (we took range lead and recast it into our own bullets for our own range reloads).

On the Kahr's, that cut on the slide at the port... is largely covered once the slide cycles a little, and brass does fly out there anyway... but the gas would make me very cautious. If its not a problem, then I'm being overly careful (and relying on my own experience).

Jocko.... I'd love to see a pic or two of that ported PM9... (drool drool)

Bawanna
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
http://kahrtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1422&d=1274058538

Heres one shot of my K40. I think theres a couple more. There was a thread with some action shots with pretty cool light shows.

CJB
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Very slick. Those ports are about as big as the ovals I ended up with on that commander I mentioned. Now yas got me thinking I need to scoot over to the old shop and see if they've still got my old electrodes tucked away. I really dont feel like grinding up new ones... just for one gun. It takes anyplace from three to five to do the job on the EDM setup they've got.

PaiN
04-21-2011, 07:12 PM
I had to make an unexpected run up to MA this eve(my mom was hospitalized{all is well now}) on the way back I stopped to look at this PM45 since the shop is up that way. The PM45 in question is very clean and very obviously Magna ported...I did not buy it, but at $500 I have to give it serious consideration.

OldLincoln
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Kahr sells ported barrels in their Kahr Shop (http://www.kahr.com/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels/Guide-Rods-and-Barrels.asp).

MikeyKahr
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I had to make an unexpected run up to MA this eve(my mom was hospitalized{all is well now}) on the way back I stopped to look at this PM45 since the shop is up that way. The PM45 in question is very clean and very obviously Magna ported...I did not buy it, but at $500 I have to give it serious consideration.

Sorry to hear that your mom was hospitalized, PaiN, but glad to hear that all is well now. And I'm glad you got to see the PM45 in person. That is a fantastic price, especially since Magnaported. I'm assuming stock sights and bitone otherwise it would be in your arsenal already? If near me I'd have to give it serious consideration too.

PaiN
04-22-2011, 03:58 AM
Sorry to hear that your mom was hospitalized, PaiN, but glad to hear that all is well now. And I'm glad you got to see the PM45 in person. That is a fantastic price, especially since Magnaported. I'm assuming stock sights and bitone otherwise it would be in your arsenal already? If near me I'd have to give it serious consideration too.
Thanks, mom is alright.
It was very tempting....There is always a but(in this case three) Magna porting is a bonus, I guess, but nothing I'd look for in a gun. I also worry with a ported gun that if I had to shoot(r to l) out the car window...I might get a face full of blast :eek: Other than the ports its basic and only includes one mag, by the time I get night sights and at least 1 extra mag were talking well over $600. Chovyman has a PM45 for sale right here for $625 w/ night sights, 3 mags and known good function....(I'd be on it, but I haven't been able to save 62,500 pennies yet :() The third reason for not jumping is I have a line on a NIB CM9....

oso1964
04-22-2011, 05:10 AM
how much louder is a ported .45acp. i understand it is only a pistol load. i have a o/u sporting clays shotgun and noboby can stand next to me the gun is so load even with hearing protection. also i put a muzzlel brake on my ar-15 same thing, nobody can stand next to me. like i said in case anybody has to read this twice, i understand that it is only a pistol load versus a rifle or shotgun load. i have never owned any handgun with a ported barrel, just wondering how much louder.

jocko
04-22-2011, 06:10 AM
actualy the sound is redirected, so yes if your next to it , it will sound louder. I have shot very little without hearing protectors so what hearing I have left I don't intend to harm it any more. there is no way one can shoot a non ported revolver and say it doesnt bother them either, so if your not wearing protectors, shame on you.Guns are loud, so get over it, a 44 mag is going to be alot louder than a9mm , . I went through that macho stuff when I was a kid shooting back 50 years ago when protectors were not even around.. I have lost almost all my hearing due to the macho crap to.
I have shot ported (magna portr ) for over 30 years, with hearing protectors I notice nadda, zero, nothing, without them, yuup it loud, with or without porting. Ur not gonna tame down a 9mm with a 3" bbl on it anymore than a J frame smith. GUNS ARE LOUD.

The car window thing sounds like a scenario that has notr been proven one way or the other.That would not be a deterent to me one way or the other. Ported guns I have always said is not for everyone, but it always seems that most all of the negative comments come from people who have never shot ported guns.I think it was wyn who took some photos inside a range with a semi on a non portred gun, a kahr I believe and the flame out the front of that barrel was massive. We don't see it but it is there and his photos showed it big time, now would porting be any less, NO, Probalby be damn near impossable to differentiate between the flame coming out the front of the barrel and the ports even. Remember not all porting works the same either..

cjb: The best I can show you on my magna ported PM9 is to go to the kahr tech section and about the 20 thread down is jocko's cusotm PM 9. hit on that..That gun today looks exactly in every detail today as it did when I took those photos and it has over 31,500 runds down range.

Downside of porting is that if you dom't like it you now have slots in the slide and barrel, that is costly to replace..U could rebarrel it and leave the cool looking slide slots there as technically the gun is a tad lighter being ported..

PaiN
04-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I've been going over my options based on prices and availability of pistols I'd want for EDC duty. I've also been switching between carrying a G19 and G30...which makes me really know I want/need a smaller pistol. The CM9s are no where to be found and by the time I get done with taxes and an extra mag (or buying on-line with FFL fees and such) the cost will be pushing $500. (FFL trans. fee from local dealers are $30-50!)
Chovyman's PM45 looks great, but I run into the money wall since it'll likely cost me close to $700 as will the PM9s I've seen locally, both used and NIB which are selling between $600-750. It is more than I can swing or want to spend on a carry piece.
I talked with the dealer this morning about this ported PM45. They have a 30day "function" guaranty on used guns and I asked(can't hurt, right? ;)) since PMs are supposed to have 2 mags can they either provide one or discount the price....They said sure, come in and we'll work up a better price.....So it looks like I'm picking this ported PM45 up and for under $500

The only other option that looks do-able too me is a Ruger LCR w/XS Big Dot. I can get one locally NIB for $419+tax but ....this would require stocking expensive .38s and .38s+P, I don't want to add another caliber... Since I'm sitting on a ton of 9mm and .45auto

PaiN
04-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I got them down to $460....:cool: This baby came home with me.
It is damn near spit shined too whomever had it previously didn't shoot it much. I grabbed a DeSantis Tuck This II the holster its a little think but will work until I find some nice leather... here's a few pics for you to enjoy.
Range report to follow...
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/PM45/DSC03375.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/PM45/DSC03377.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/PM45/DSC03378.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/PM45/DSC03383.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x298/Mikepain_pics/PM45/DSC03384.jpg

Bawanna
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Most definitely Magna Ported. It look absolutely gorgeous too. You got a sweet deal on that one and your gonna love that thing to pieces.

I'm curious how it shoots for ya. I magna ported my K40 but the PM45 hasn't got the treatment yet. Don't really need it but I think it looks cool and it surely can't hurt anything either.

OldLincoln
04-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree it does look really good. It won't hurt anything as long as you don't set fire to yourself sitting down like you do.

Catshooter
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Man! $460! You are the man! I am totally not a Magna Port fan but I'd'a had a hell of a time saying no to that beauty.

Keep us posted please.

Cat

jocko
04-24-2011, 05:57 PM
you stole that gun for that price, especially with the dealers 30 day trial thing, U can't loose. A nice gun, and IMO u will love the ported PM45.. If it had one of those smaller holes, I wold tell you to put me on your contact list if by chance you didn't like it. Mr.Bawanna will be waiting for your full report, for he is just itchihng to port another gun...

Bawanna
04-24-2011, 07:11 PM
you stole that gun for that price, especially with the dealers 30 day trial thing, U can't loose. A nice gun, and IMO u will love the ported PM45.. If it had one of those smaller holes, I wold tell you to put me on your contact list if by chance you didn't like it. Mr.Bawanna will be waiting for your full report, for he is just itchihng to port another gun...

Dang, now he's a mind reader too. I am itching to send another to magna port. It will happen one day. The marble sack is a bit light as usual but my day will come.

kahrseye
04-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow, you did good. I would've bought it as well. The gun looks great and I can't wait to hear your report.

PaiN
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
:mad: I'm sorry to report....I seem to have inherited someones problem child.
I got 60 rounds through this PM45 of AE 230g and DPX1 and had to give up. The mags drop out every few shots(both). I had several stove pipes with a spent case, 3 complete FTEs with the case left in the chamber, 2 slide lock backs before the last round and 2 FTFs.

I should have kept that K9....maybe it was heavy, but the damn gun was rock solid... :(

jeepster09
04-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I love ported guns.....

Bawanna
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
:mad: I'm sorry to report....I seem to have inherited someones problem child.
I got 60 rounds through this PM45 of AE 230g and DPX1 and had to give up. The mags drop out every few shots(both). I had several stove pipes with a spent case, 3 complete FTEs with the case left in the chamber, 2 slide lock backs before the last round and 2 FTFs.

I should have kept that K9....maybe it was heavy, but the damn gun was rock solid... :(

Don't look at it as a problem child, look at it as another kahrtalk personel challenge. We'll get that thing running.

Sounds like we might need a mag catch, maybe an extractor and perhaps new mag springs or new mags.

I'd do a thorough deep clean first, look over the mag catch for a chip or defect, same with the extractor.

Super clean and polish the chamber and feed ramp. Maybe heavy on the oil next test trip.

Chin up, you got lots of help here.

PaiN
04-28-2011, 04:30 AM
Don't look at it as a problem child, look at it as another kahrtalk personel challenge. We'll get that thing running.

Sounds like we might need a mag catch, maybe an extractor and perhaps new mag springs or new mags.

I'd do a thorough deep clean first, look over the mag catch for a chip or defect, same with the extractor.

Super clean and polish the chamber and feed ramp. Maybe heavy on the oil next test trip.

Chin up, you got lots of help here.
Thanks for the encouragement....but I'm not going to play around with this PM45. Its got several issues and once my confidence is shattered on a gun I'll be hard pressed to get it back.
I'm calling the shop as soon as they open this morning. I'm going to ask for a return and store credit. They may want to send it back to Kahr, but I'm going to buck on this....In my experience, a gun with as many issues as this PM has is going to take a lot of back and forth to get right...The shop where it was bought is 50min drive away. I'm not going to run back and forth like a nut wasting gas(at +$4.00/gal) or pick up the tab to ship back and forth to Kahr.

jocko
04-28-2011, 07:14 AM
u bought someones lemon that is for sure. a shame someone would sell or trade a gun that is giving issues withouut getting them fixed forst. Not ur fault, IMO, I would try to take it back tothe dealer and le them work with you, a good dealer should work with you..

PaiN
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I would try to take it back tothe dealer and le them work with you, a good dealer should work with you..
I spoke with the dealer this morning, This is no joke; They invited me to take the gun out to a club(close to the shop) wit h the staff to shoot and see if they can diagnose the problem(s). If not they will send it to Kahr and/or give me full store credit.... This is a total PITA but I have to say, incredible customer service(this shop is no one man operation either, its big)..So what more can I ask?

eastenn
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
hm too bad you have to spend your gas money to get back there, but I don't know of any shops around here that would offer service like that on a used gun. good luck, otherwise you have $460 to spend on something else!!

Rainman48314
04-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Heres one shot of my K40. I think theres a couple more. There was a thread with some action shots with pretty cool light shows.

I am very curious as to the advantage(s) of a ported gun. Is it to reduce recoil or muzzle flip? Is it true it adds to the noise level and has a bright muzzle flash to the point of being a bad choice for a SD gun at night, when you are most likely to need it ...and your vision. What say you owners?

eastenn
04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
in a nice way, there are multiple threads that debate all those questions over and over..just search for them and you'll find plenty to read about instead of steering this thread away from the pm45 issue

PaiN
04-29-2011, 04:04 AM
I am very curious as to the advantage(s) of a ported gun. Is it to reduce recoil or muzzle flip? Is it true it adds to the noise level and has a bright muzzle flash to the point of being a bad choice for a SD gun at night, when you are most likely to need it ...and your vision. What say you owners?
I will say that the PM45 did shoot accurately, my first few rounds were clover-leafed just a hair off bullseye at 10yrds. Not having shot an unported PM45 its hard to comment on the muzzle flip, but it did not impress me as greatly less than other .45autos I've shot, in fact my G30 probably has less flip. One thing is for sure.....my God, the ports make ONE HELL of a BARK. Ever having to fire that gun without hearing protection is gonna hurt......

jocko
04-29-2011, 05:10 AM
don't blame the ports on the sound, it is louder as it is now partilly redirected. If you wear no hearig protectors,u deserve to get what you get. Ported or not the 45 is loud PERIOD I won't discuss rainman's other assumptions, as I have shot ported guns for over 30 years, I would bet he has not, and is merely passing on his assumptions, which is his right..

jeepster09 hates um to. he posted a photo on page 3 here of 4 ported guns. Right now I only own a K9, pM9, G19 model 60 all magna ported. I hate um as much as jeepster 09 does.Every whelel gunI have ever owned in the last 30 has those nasty lookihg worthless cuts i the barrel.

jocko
04-29-2011, 05:16 AM
PaiN. I would say your dealer is bending over backwards to please u. He IMO has that right to see what is wrong with the gun. . It is an inconvenience to you and now also to him if he closes his shop to assist u. Go with it, that way if the gun doesn't work, he will also know and be convinced your are straight with him. I think this is one super dealer. If u like the gun, give it and the dealer this chance to help you out, u are going to be out nothing but alittle time and you bought it at a nice price IMO, . Next shoot do wear protectors, Ported or not u will loose your hearing very fast..

PaiN
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
I always wear my "eyes & ears" when shooting....
As for the shop, they are definitely doing right by me....the smith does want to shoot the PM45 and he will be doing so after the shop closes tonight. The owners words to me were; "If we find any functional problem, we will exchange the gun for full purchased price."
With all the problems I had with it.....I don't want it, I'd have no confidence in carrying it now. So I will exchange it.

jocko
04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
hell of a good dealer. without really knowing what the problem is, one issue in the gun could be causing all your problems to

keep us posted..

Rainman48314
04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
don't blame the ports on the sound, it is louder as it is now partilly redirected. If you wear no hearig protectors,u deserve to get what you get. Ported or not the 45 is loud PERIOD I won't discuss rainman's other assumptions, as I have shot ported guns for over 30 years, I would bet he has not, and is merely passing on his assumptions, which is his right..

jeepster09 hates um to. he posted a photo on page 3 here of 4 ported guns. Right now I only own a K9, pM9, G19 model 60 all magna ported. I hate um as much as jeepster 09 does.Every whelel gunI have ever owned in the last 30 has those nasty lookihg worthless cuts i the barrel.

Jocko, Im asking questions because I'm stumbling into actual owners of ported guns (yourself for one). I am not making assumptions but it seems a touchy topic. I'm trying to learn what I'd get for my money if I had this done to one of my guns.

Bawanna
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Good plan Rainman. Did you get my PM?

Rainman48314
04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Good plan Rainman. Did you get my PM?I'll look. I'm still learning this forum's software and I assume there is no warning when a PM arrives.

Bawanna
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
It will show up as a notification in the upper right corner. There is a place in the preferences area where you can have any PM pop up in the middle of your screen so it's hard to miss.

I did exactly the same thing for a long time and still miss them now and then.

If you can't find the place to activate the notification pop up, let me know and I'll look for it.

jocko
04-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Rainman. got ya. I understand, My point is ask porter shootrers not non porters. If I wanna know how a Porsche 911 handles, I seek out a Porsche owner,m . A good shooter be he a porter or non porter will give you the straighrt poop. For me I love shooting ported guns, they are calmer by a noticeable degree as the second shot is right there waiting for the trigger to be pulled. Lots of flame stories u read but they are not true, shoot your gun at night now or for that matter any gun at night and if don't see flame/fire coming out that barrel then the gun didn't fire. Porting is going to shoot some fire out the ports, that is what ports are desingnedto do. but most flame/fire will still exit the front of the barrel. I don't see how it can effect sighting, as when u seem the flame the bullet has left the building,ur seeinng the after math of it. Proper porting which I do feel Magna port does is not shooting the flame straight up like most round hole porter get done somewhere else. Besides that if ur looking for the flame, ur peeking and you ain't gonna hit jack sh-t that way either.

I don't hold my Ported PM9 under my nose to see if it will be gone from the blast of a ported gun, makes no sense, any gun held that close is going to do damage to the shooter. a blast is a blast is a blast. For me I look at it this way. I have carried for over 48 years, never once had to draw in anger,nighttme or day time (not sure nighttime bad things hapen that much more either but what ever. anyway I love to shoot, always did, never hit jack sh-t but it always was a goal to do better. Porting makes me a better shooter . thats what I do with my personal protection gun. I shoot it like I stole it. Is it louder, well it is redirected sound, so yes it is louder, but tecnical;y no louder. the boom thing has happened. ALL GUNS ARE LOUD, Some are really loud. 44 mag. 10mm, 40 cal for example are loud. If you dont shoot with muffs, shame on you. Us macho guys did that type of stuff 40+ years ago and I have no hearing today do to that shooting error. . It is hard to find a shooter with a ported gun like yoiu might want to try, , but basicallyall magna porting is the same, so the sound level, felt recoil should be consistant with that caliber4 I have said this numerous times. IF IN DOUBT, DON'T DO IT. I have read where you can't get into some of these shooting matchs with ported guns, for me that bothers me nadda but if you buy a certain gun for those matchs, I am going to assume u know the rules.

There are negatives I am sure to ported guns and maybe standing besides a ported gun, u might feel some blast, TUFF SH-T. Move the fokk away. One shot normally cures that though. For itiots I have found it takes 2 shots... Some of the major gum makers even, Smith, ruger even sell ported guns direct. I just feel if it was such a bad thing, they would not be addressing it as an option.
So if I come on strong, , well that is the way I am. no offense meant either. I don't do bad guy/good guy scenarios for they are what they are scenarios and 99.99995% of those scenarios are something that in your lifetime and probalby every person on this forum will never need to address. So I just am not gonna get to paranoid of having a ported gun because it maybe, just maybe might produce a shooting issue.

I don't feel I try to sell porting, I do mention it alot, sometimes in total jest, for personaly it doesnt make a hill of beans with me if one ports or not. That is a shooter decision, but I can tell you this, we have many here on this forum who have ported guns and not all kahrs and I just don't read the negatives and I respect every one of these guys comments

so enjoy the four, pay 10-5 attention towhat I say and jabout 90% attention to what bawanna says, for as u know he has that magic DISSAPEAR button.

Bawanna
04-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Nice post Jocko, well said. Horribly spelled. Took me 3 tries and half an hour to figure it out but it was good. You've out done yourself in the spelling dept for sure.
I can be your poster child for not hearing stuff but at least I didnt do it all shooting although probably some of it. We reep what we sew I reckon.

Better review that huked an fawnix buk. Eye thenk yor sliping

jeepster09
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree most horror stories about ported guns are from the "internet" experts they may never of seen a ported gun in person. I port every gun I get for the most part.

jocko
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
damn bawanna and I even proff read the damn thing befor eposting it, so if ur knocking it now, I should have sent the way I first did it and u would still be trying to figure out what I sad. Damn, I just can't please yu. did you falloutta your chair today or what???

jocko
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
you ol timers will admit that 50 years ago, if you seen hearing protectors we called the shooter a pus-y. or thought of it that way anyhow. I sold guns for 40+ years and in all those years if I sold a dozen hearing protectors I am probably exaggerating. course i didn't push them either for u know I was one macho s.o.b.. I have a super tuned super charged right hear aid that can hear two ants humping from 50 yards. The left ear just hangs their to balance my head out. I being a left hand shooter , that should tell u something. Harley riders love loud pipes, cities and small towns don't, so we travel alot with pipe money and that is not drug money but fines for loud pipes. I think it is the chair people that is causing all this crapola to. They are sneaky b-stards. so I am told. I kinda like to ride up next to one and he thinking I am going to give him the high sign but then just leg kicking him off the road!!!!

remember that ol great one..

Bawanna
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
damn bawanna and I even proff read the damn thing befor eposting it, so if ur knocking it now, I should have sent the way I first did it and u would still be trying to figure out what I sad. Damn, I just can't please yu. did you falloutta your chair today or what???

Not yet but the day ain't over either.

You please me immensely though. Don't ever forget that. Just cause you can't spel worth a damn don't mean I don't love ya to pieces. Not in any mano mano way ya understand.

jocko
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Not in any mano mano way ya understand

it better not be

u chair people are like the fokking amish around here. they think they own toe road and there is horse sh-it allover the roads here, why not put a bag beind their asses like they do inbig city's. oh no, we don't want to piss the amish off, or else them might decide to even fly our Amiercan flag. Does ur chair leave a sh-t trail or is it the person in the chair??? Not that it makes a difference. If I can sue over ice cream I certainly can sue over some idiot in a chair leaving a poop trail down the street.

PaiN
04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
Okay....from the life is strange dept..
The shop let three different shooters run the pistol(this PM45), they had flawless operation :confused:. In fact I'm told they did everything possible to instigate a failure and could not. Most of the shooting session is recorded just so I can see it....WTH?

Maybe I need basic gun handling lessions or something.......how embarrassing :o

Bawanna
04-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I was very much afraid this would happen. Imagine how ticked you would have been to send it to Kahr and have them tell you they could find nothing wrong.
I'd not be discouraged and you certainly shouldn't feel bad in the slightest. It happens, we've seen it happen.
So now we just need to work on mating you up to the gun. Has to be a grip issue or something, sometimes habits are harder to fix than broken parts.
At least even if you give up and want to part ways you know the gun works, that should be a confidence booster by itself.

I'd not give up, the PM45 is a great little gun.

Rainman48314
04-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay....from the life is strange dept..
The shop let three different shooters run the pistol(this PM45), they had flawless operation :confused:. In fact I'm told they did everything possible to instigate a failure and could not. Most of the shooting session is recorded just so I can see it....WTH?

Maybe I need basic gun handling lessions or something.......how embarrassing :o
Did anyone video you doing some shooting? Some here could be helpful if they could view it. Smaller guns require a proper and firm grip. Consider what ammo they used versus what you used. If you're looking to improve, keep the gun and it will tell when you have.

Good luck

jocko
04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
To me it is very hard to explain limping a gun. I cannot limp any gun I own, even when I think I am trying. I think one has to really learn how to limp a gun as much as to not limp a gun\so PaiN, u should now have the cojnfidenced top tell yourself ur gonna getter done.

Kudos to your shop for doing wha tthey did to. I am sure kahr gets some perfectly fine guns back. Now all of this being said to, IMO if you for some unknown reason can't get it right with the PM45, indeed peddle it. I have stated many times a gun and the shooter have to mate up to be right and if it ain't meant to be then it ain't meanto to be.

Thanks tholugh for sharing this report, ..

OldLincoln
04-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Pain, an awful lot of good shooters have discovered similar results, so please don't feel bad. Kahr is a different animal, more like a formula one car than a family car. Like many I had a few getting started but worked my grip through it until I got it right. You'll do the same. Besides you must be on the road to an expert shooter now that you have over 450 posts. Can you imagine how good Bawanna and Jocko are. Look out Top Gun!

jocko
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
what do u smoke Old lincoln?? can u get a gray contact high from being just in the same room. I can assure I shoot my kahrs (all of them) piss poor. Like to blame it on age but my G19 shoots right where I aim, so that shot the age thing out the winder. Kahrs as u stated are not the easiest guns to shoot accurately and their ulta light weights just brings new issues into things that was not there with guns like the 1911 or Beretta, or basicaly big frame gun..

Now bawanna shoots great, he always has a shooting rest with him..

PaiN
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
She is back home...
To hit on some of the questions asked, I analyzed my grip as much as I could and we talked much over and demonstrated grips at the shop. I'm not exactly a new shooter or new to Kahrs by any stretch. So nothing jumped out from that. I ran AE Red box and Win. PDX1 230g, the shop's people did the same, they also ran Blazer and a local commercial reload called Nutmeg. I saw the vid and it sure as hell looked like my PM was running well....It was even shot upside down with no problems...

I'm getting it back to the range tonight or tomorrow for a redo and I'll report back.
One thingy...When I brought it home the first time, this PM was drenched in lube, I mean soaked to the point of leaking out the seams. It was so clean I never bothered to go thought it before I took it out. Is it possible the gun was over-lubed and got sticky when I ran it? Then between me leaving it dirty and sitting a few day the gun dried out? Seems kind of a hocky explanation but I'm at loss here :confused:
One of the shooters liked it so much he told me "That gun is the most fun .45 I've ever shot"...???

jlottmc
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
That may be, I have no idea why sometimes I hear of people that has a gun that won't run, but when me or my buddies get to work with it, the gun is all business. I think it might be fun to shoot it, but then again, I like anything that goes BOOM.

Bawanna
04-30-2011, 05:17 PM
She is back home...
To hit on some of the questions asked, I analyzed my grip as much as I could and we talked much over and demonstrated grips at the shop. I'm not exactly a new shooter or new to Kahrs by any stretch. So nothing jumped out from that. I ran AE Red box and Win. PDX1 230g, the shop's people did the same, they also ran Blazer and a local commercial reload called Nutmeg. I saw the vid and it sure as hell looked like my PM was running well....It was even shot upside down with no problems...

I'm getting it back to the range tonight or tomorrow for a redo and I'll report back.
One thingy...When I brought it home the first time, this PM was drenched in lube, I mean soaked to the point of leaking out the seams. It was so clean I never bothered to go thought it before I took it out. Is it possible the gun was over-lubed and got sticky when I ran it? Then between me leaving it dirty and sitting a few day the gun dried out? Seems kind of a hocky explanation but I'm at loss here :confused:
One of the shooters liked it so much he told me "That gun is the most fun .45 I've ever shot"...???

I agree the over lube theory is kind of hokey. Don't buy that. No problem with any of the ammo you mentioned. I never heard of nutmeg but if they run it and it works it must be ok too.
I sensed you were an experienced shooter which doesn't always mean a whole lot. I work with a guy, who absolutely can't shoot an XD. The way his hand is shaped it doesn't depress the grip safety. He gets a round off now and then but usually not. Just doesn't work for him.
The Kahr is a little more perplexing as other than hanging on you don't activate anything.
I'd just go for a good solid grip and see what happens. I can't think of anything they could have done unless he just took it apart to look it over and put it back together in some way that you had done wrong. Wasn't the slide stop coming out on you. If it didn't for them, what happened?
Good luck, I'm anxious to hear how you do next time out.

jocko
04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Over lubed, I would think not, u know enough about guns to know better than that to..

PaiN
04-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, that was 130+ mixed rounds through tonight, more AE, some Blazer, the Nutmeg reloads and a handful of Golden Saber....not a single issue from the PM45, weird but its running perfectly.
Who knows? Maybe the pistol was sitting for a very long time with all that oil and gummed up, just needed to be run out some to get its stride back :)
I dried it out completely with Gun Scrubber and did a sensible cleaning & lube before I went out tonight. I'm very happy its running, my confidence is back for this PM45 a few more solid range sessions and it'll go on EDC duty.

jocko
04-30-2011, 09:55 PM
not only good news but great news. welcome back to the fold. damn strange though ain't it?? sometimes patience is just true "virurte" . Bawanna told me that awhile back. Have no idea what he meant by that either as we were merely chatting about liking apple pie... He is as strange as ur 45 comgin back to life again...

Bawanna
04-30-2011, 10:13 PM
You didnt clean or lube at all when you first got it. I think you said it was clean and oily. But you could very well be right and maybe it was gummed or varnished up. I wonder if the shop cleaned it during their inspection prior to them shooting it.
No matter, long as it runs and your happy so I'm happy too.

PaiN
05-01-2011, 05:08 AM
The shop sells them as they get them(I asked) after a brief inspection. I, of course, took it down when I first got it home but the gun was so clean and wet I left it alone.
Looks like I'm good to go on this, I'll update if anything changes.

WilliamG
05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I really think that as a general rule, with a new or used gun (heck, with used ESPECIALLY), take the gun apart and clean off whatever crap is on there. Chances are you're not using the same oil/lube anyway, so why fire a gun one way if in future you're going to fire it another way? (i.e. with different lubes/oils). Anyway, very glad your PM is working for you, now! :)

jocko
05-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I think jsome of these gun companies ship some of their guns "wet". They have no clue as to how long that gun might sit in a box in a dark maybe cold/hot room. IO used todisplay my handguns in my shop in a glass shelved case and it was just so so common to pick up a gun toshow someone and there was oil on the galss, and we always wipede everynew gun with a silicone cloth before putting out on display. Oil is gonna run, u may not see it but it is there..

OldLincoln
05-01-2011, 01:24 PM
My new PM9 was wrapped in a heavy plastic bag with puddles of oil in it (all inside the case). I wouldn't dared to shoot it that way as I'd have oil all over me. Breaking it down there was quite a bit of thicker stuff too either heavy oil or grease, don't recall. It reminded me of the cosmoline wrap on new military guns, only much easier to clean.

jocko
05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
My PMK9 was dry as a bone, no plastic bag, just brown paper. My P380 was the same way.