PDA

View Full Version : CCW////Badge

earle8888
04-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Was at a birthday party this past weekend. A discussion arose pursuant to the badge being sold stating "Concealed Weapons Permit" . The retired LEO's present stated that they thought it was a good idea, for a CCW to carry one. They thought line was ......if a shooting has occurred the CCW should hold the badge over his/her head and thus when the uniforms show-up probably would not be shot....the shooter or suspected shooter would be going to jail anyway.

Question is!!!! What is your thoughts

jocko
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
what is the shooter had one to?????

bad idea, IMO I have seen them, most leo's would frown on it.Hellyou can get those badges with our name on there in even gold or silver high quality looking stuff.

Bawanna
04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
There are a lot of issues regarding those. I've often wished there was some sort of identification that would clearly identify proven good guys to responding officers. Too many pitfalls in the plan though. A good guy today could become a bad guy tomorrow.

Many consider those nice CCW badges as a form or police impersonation and indeed we've had a few cases locally where a guy proudly displayed his CCW badge on his belt along with a poorly concealed gun much like off duty or plain clothes police officers. All were determined to clearly be police impersonation due to their actions and the perception they presented.

In your scenario the retired LEO should have some sort of ID, probably a real police badge that would identify him/her to responders.

I would be very reluctant to display or even carry a CCW badge. My permit will have to suffice. I'm especially concerned due to my poor hearing and perhaps not being able to hear responding officers commands. Not good.

I have real police badges issued to me but if I displayed them as a commissioned officer I would most likely be considered impersonating an officer also since I'm not fully commissioned. Theres some scarey legal issues and of course public perception which is sometimes even worse to deal with.

Mudinyeri
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Better to display this ...

http://www.collectibles-articles.com/antique/collectible-image-large/black-ops-military-top-secret-squirrel-patch-multicam_370476764079.jpg

:D

Bawanna
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Dang, I like that right there. Where can I get me a couple of them patches. I'd wear em to work once in a while to get even with the I'm special task force guys sometimes.

I hate the inhouse us versus them mentality sometimes.

ripley16
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/Frunobulax_/Music%20Pix/we-dont-need-no-stinking-badges.jpg

Bawanna
04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Better with pictures but still good.

A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas , and talked with an old rancher.

He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs."

The rancher said, "Okay , but don't go in that field over there.....", as he pointed out the location

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, " Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me !"

Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher.

"See this badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish.... Onany land !!

No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear......do you understand ?!!"

The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores.

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull......

With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety The officer was clearly terrified.

The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

(I just love this part....)

"Your badge, show him your BADGE........ ! !"

Cash.45
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM

The rancher said, "Okay , but don't go in that field over there.....", as he pointed out the location

The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, " Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me !"

Reaching into his rear pants pocket, he removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher.

"See this badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish.... Onany land !!

No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear......do you understand ?!!"

A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull......

With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety The officer was clearly terrified.

The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

OMG, I don't care who you are, that there is funny!

Willieboy
04-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Great story Bawanna.

I think the badges are silly. Why would anyone want to advertise they are carrying a weapon, unless they were about to draw it, is beyond me. In Texas, we are issued a permit, license or whatever it's called. It identifies us and shows our picture. We're required to show it to a LEO if we're pulled over for a traffic stop and we're carrying at the time.

In Texas, concealed means what it says. Nobody needs to know or is supposed to know we're armed.

CW9owner
04-22-2011, 09:41 PM

Now thats funny right there

O'Dell
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm with you Willieboy, they are silly. I laugh every time see them in the Sportsman Guide flyer. It sounds like a great way to get hauled in for impersonating a police officer.

Longitude Zero
04-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Leave the badges alone. As a LEO I can assure you they will cause you no end of grief.

earle8888
04-23-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm getting the replies I expected and the way I reacted at the party. Thanks guy's. My first reaction at seeing them first at gun show, CCW Supply >Biz, was it was for a want-2-B.
I'm a has been, different, a Has-been once was!

Pa Kahr
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Badges are a bad idea. Our CCW class clearly pointed out all of the statements above. "Impersonating and officer can get you in a great deal of trouble..if not dead"

OldLincoln
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Heck, I got serious ribbing on another forum for wearing 5.11 covert docker type pants. The pockets are hidden but still they ribbed me for being "tacticool". The heck with them I'll wear what I want. But not carry a "badge"! That's like flashing a badge that says "Dodge" on it, not going to get you to the front of the line for sure.

Fulton_722
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
. . . The retired LEO's present stated that they thought it was a good idea, for a CCW to carry one. . . .

I think those ol' boys were havin' a little fun with ya. :D

AJChenMPH
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
It's one thing for someone who's retired from the Job to carry a shield with their retired LEO creds, another for a straight civilian who carries solely on their CCW license/permit.

I'm not a LEO, but my agency issued me creds and a shield and I'm required by my agency to carry them at all times. (I don't carry on my shield, but on my PA LTCF.) God forbid I get into a shooting incident, but they will come out if needed. But no way in hell am I going out to get a CCW Badge if my agency pulls my creds/shield back or if I leave my agency.

bonjorno2
04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
no badge unless you are a leo or similar

CertifiedGunNut
06-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Absolutely useless....and retarded. Hang it on the wall next to your official window licker license :001_tt2:

steve666
06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Something for the Mall Cop wanna-be's and Mall Ninjas

Longitude Zero
06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Heck, I got serious ribbing on another forum for wearing 5.11 covert docker type pants. The pockets are hidden but still they ribbed me for being "tacticool". The heck with them I'll wear what I want. But not carry a "badge"! That's like flashing a badge that says "Dodge" on it, not going to get you to the front of the line for sure.

Recently one of my guys popped a kid for armed robbery and the kid said he knew that my guy was an off-duty cop since he was wearing 5.11 pants. So those of you that wear them be advised that the bad guys recognize that type of "tactical" clothing and target in on it. Bad guys are FAR MORE observant than most think.

Same as the perps used to do with fanny packs. It was so common that as soon as I see a fanny pack my first thought is gun.

bonjorno2
06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
No No No

wyntrout
06-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Even off-duty LEO's with badges get shot when they are responding and trying to help... by other LEO's and anyone else trying to "help".

You really have to pay attention to the situation and realize that the bad guy(s) and LEO's just see you as another "mole" in the developing "Whack-a-Mole" scenario.

There were at least 2 people with CCW at the Giffords shooting in Arizona. Neither tried to draw their weapons, but one was trying to assist in the situation and was deemed another BG and bystanders piled on him. There could have been a real melee with more people shot by LEO's and armed bystanders, had a few more guns appeared. You must consider that you may be considered one of the problems and be "whacked" yourself.

I try to be aware... situational awareness... when choosing a seat in a restaurant... or when I go to a convenience store to buy lottery tickets. Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, always comes to mind in the former, and in the latter, I know these places get robbed frequently. Frankly, I'm surprised that a robbery has never happened while I'm in one of the two convenience stores I frequent. They are generally robbed several times a year.

I'm always checking the condition of the store... the patrons, the clerk(s), and vehicles and people waiting outside the store, as I go in. I hope that my luck holds up and I never "need" to use my weapon, but I want to be aware of the world about me and watch for possible "threats", so I'm not fat, dumb, and happily entering a bad situation. I can't do much about the FAT... but I can try my best to be aware of any situations developing that could impact my or others' safety.

Wynn:)

TheTman
06-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't want anything to identify me as a CC permit holder, same as I don't display NRA stickers and such on my car. Nobody's business buy my own if I am packing or not, other than maybe any people I am traveling with. I don't like NRA or other gun organization stickers on my car. Seems like it might give someone an idea to smash a window and look for a weapon. I prefer to remain anonymous and blend in with the crowd.

wyntrout
06-23-2011, 12:27 PM
A big ditto on all of that. Almost anything is polarizing and you can attract the attention of vandalizing whackos.

I am surprised at some of the vehicles sporting Obama stickers sometimes... still!

jocko
06-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Even off-duty LEO's with badges get shot when they are responding and trying to help... by other LEO's and anyone else trying to "help".

You really have to pay attention to the situation and realize that the bad guy(s) and LEO's just see you as another "mole" in the developing "Whack-a-Mole" scenario.

There were at least 2 people with CCW at the Giffords shooting in Arizona. Neither tried to draw their weapons, but one was trying to assist in the situation and was deemed another BG and bystanders piled on him. There could have been a real melee with more people shot by LEO's and armed bystanders, had a few more guns appeared. You must consider that you may be considered one of the problems and be "whacked" yourself.

I try to be aware... situational awareness... when choosing a seat in a restaurant... or when I go to a convenience store to buy lottery tickets. Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, Texas, always comes to mind in the former, and in the latter, I know these places get robbed frequently. Frankly, I'm surprised that a robbery has never happened while I'm in one of the two convenience stores I frequent. They are generally robbed several times a year.

I'm always checking the condition of the store... the patrons, the clerk(s), and vehicles and people waiting outside the store, as I go in. I hope that my luck holds up and I never "need" to use my weapon, but I want to be aware of the world about me and watch for possible "threats", so I'm not fat, dumb, and happily entering a bad situation. I can't do much about the FAT... but I can try my best to be aware of any situations developing that could impact my or others' safety.

thgat arizona shooting could have been even worse, if armed cirtizens all started pullingout their guns. who would know who the BG was etc and then the OK corral comes into play. Thetwo armed guys who assited IMO used their heads in not drawinbg and being rambo's or they could have each shot each other trying to do the right thing even. I have thought about that scenario many times and not exactly sure whatr I would have done, without being there to analyze the situation... good point wyn.

LaP
07-23-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm too old & gray for anyone to think I'm a cop. I wear 5.11 pants all the time because I like their fit and all the spare pockets. If that makes me look like the Law, then so be it.
CCW Badges?.... They go well with tactical vests, combat boots, baseball hats with the word "COP" embroidered across it, and of course you've got to have a speaker cord attached to your cell phone.:rolleyes: