PDA

View Full Version : New 4" ported barrel doesn't fit

Gideon
04-24-2011, 11:03 PM
:(

Well the title says it all. After many years of enjoying my K9, I decided to spring for the ported 4" barrel to make it an even softer shooter than it is. Got it and dropped it in and notice that it didn't want to return to battery as easy as it did. It was almost impossible to push the slide release "up". Took everything I had to pull that slide to the rear far enough to push the slide release UP to lock the slide back. When I hand cycled the slide it felt like it was hung up and almost had to break free.

Can't tell any difference between the 4" ported and my original barrel but there's definitely something wrong dimensionally. I'll be calling Kahr in the morning. I'm curious as to how they'll handle it.

I love how it looks and between the extra barrel length and a new stainless guide rod there's a noticeable amount of extra muzzle weight. I was really looking forward to see how it would shoot.

It was one of my softest shooters before. I carry a P9 but like to shoot the K9 for fun.

Ever heard of this problem?

God Bless and happy Easter.

Gideon

HighSpeedBail
04-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your issues.

Any chance you can share some pics? Might help.

Ken

Gideon
04-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Well Ken you wouldn't see anything. The failure to return to battery is so very slight, I'd say a 1/16. It's the feel. You really have to work hard to lock that slide back whereas with the regular barrel it's easy. In fact, it's so tight inside that once you do lock the slide back I can't really release the slide with my right hand thumb like I normally do. I've held the two barrels side by side and can't see any difference at all. If I had a micrometer I might figure out what's doing It. I can see inside when I'm trying to push the slide release up and it's not contacting the new barrel at all so it's something else.

I'm hoping they'll do an exchange and that the new one will fit perfectly. I'm curious to see what kind of difference it makes.

Have a good night!
Gideon

jocko
04-25-2011, 05:33 AM
have u tried to fire it to se ehow it funcitons. Maybe just needs 50 rounds through it to smothe thing sup some. I am assuming this is a kahr barrel that u bouth also.

Bawanna
04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Did you try it with the old guide rod just for grins?

Gideon
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Sorry, don't get here as often as I'd like. Good questions and thoughts. I did try it with the old guide rod and new. Guide rod didn't seem to be a factory. And yes, this is the factory Kahr 4" off their website.

I did a function check but didn't take it to the range to test fire. It took so much strenght to lock it back and then two thumbs and pain to release the slide forward. It's just too bound up. I can appreciate parts needing to mate, etc. but if enough metal came of something to make this function smoothly then I'd really have a problem.

Called Kahr and the customer service rep said it might need "fitting". I informed him that on their website they specifically say it doesn't and frankly I can't imagine how you'd "fit" it in the first place.

Then they told me I could send it back for a replacement so i did that. Should get the new barrel next week. I'm hoping it'll work a lot better. I'm very curious how it'll feel shooting it.

Enjoy your week!
Gideon

CJB
04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Typically, one place that is very hard to hold 100% perfect in production is the length of the barrel hood. Seen this on Browning HiPowers, 1911s, Sig, S&W 39/59, and CZ.

Check the slide in the barrel. Drop the slide in, no recoil spring, make sure it sits fully into the locked position with no binding. Ideally, there should be zero play forward and back, yet no binding either. That takes some finesse to fit, but its doable if you go slow.

Gideon
05-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Well this is a slow moving forum and I sure don't get here often but I thought I'd post the final results just in case anyone is every thinking of getting the elite trigger upgrade or the 4" ported barrel. So I ended up sending the K9 to Kahr to get the upgrade as I had the longer NYPD trigger length of pull. They also got to look at how the 4" ported barrel (bought from them) was mucking up the works.

Firs the Barrel. they seemd surprised that I was right. they ended up giving me another one and this one fits and runs perfect. It's accurate and get this....IT'S QUIETER THAN THE 3"!!! Maybe it wouldn't be in a more enclosed place but outside it was quieter. Can't figure how but I don't exagerate. Not a lot but definitely quieter. As for felt recoil, well it was a pretty soft shooter to begin with and the porting helps with lowering the felt recoil but the best advantage is that it seems to almost "park" the muzzle. Little to no muzzle rise. I love it. Some say you shouldn't CCW a ported barrel in case you have to fire from retention. Look at the angle of the port cut and you'll see it point mostly away and up. I'm willing to risk it for the extreme shootability of my Kahr.

The Elite Trigger; if you don't have another Kahr to compare your NYPD trigger to then DON'T spend the money. it's $150 plus the $60 bucks it cost me to ship it. However, if you have three other Kahrs besides your K9 and the difference is bugging you, then you may have to go for it like I did. I'm at that point in life where I know this is my final carry 9mm so I don't mind spending the money. I'll never be getting rid of this gun so it's worth it. The trigger was good, now it's better and the same (if not a hair shorter and smoother) than my MK9, P9 and P380.

I plan on getting the front strap checkered and some other items like grooves cut down the top of the slide and then I'm having the gun bead blast finished. I'll probably do that next year, after that, perfection.

To each there own.

God Bless
Gideon

jlottmc
05-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Good to hear. A little patience goes a long way. I kind of wish they made a ported bbl for the 45's, but then again, it would just be to see what all the hoopla is about with that.

Gideon
05-26-2011, 06:36 PM
I just wish they made a K45 period! :)

jlottmc
05-28-2011, 09:37 AM
I'll take one, and an MK45, as well as a T45. Yup, if they come out thems on the shopping list.