PDA

View Full Version : 7rnd mag; Not the Usual Question

CPO15
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
So I bought my fourth Kahr in as many months; MK9. Saw the earlier threads on the 7 round mag issues, noticed a few posters returning them to Kahr for replacement 6 round mags and figured I'd do the same with the mags from the new gun and my PM9 (I had the usual issues in the PM9).

But, since I was going to the range today to break-in the MK9, I decided to use the larger mags.

Surprise! They worked just fine in the steel gun! No issues with any of the six- or seven- round mags.

Was I just lucky today, or do these mags not malfunction in the heavier guns?

Thanks.

Bawanna
04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I haven't really heard of any extended mag issues in the steel guns, they seem to work fine.
I'm not totally convinced its the gun causing the issues on the polymer models. The mag seems to fit snuggly like it should but they have issues. Some have replaced with a new 7 rounder and then they work.
Just not sure on those.

JimBianchi
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
My 7rd mags worked great for a few years, never an issue.

Then I took a Suarez Point Shooting Course and the little MK9 was outstanding, until I was doing speed reloads, running and gunning, my grip tightened up a lot and the mag was pushed out of alignment, causing a FTL.

I switched to my three 6rd mags with finger rest and the MK9 ran flawless for the next 200rds. (It took me a minute to figure it out and I was able to replicate the failure in follow up tests, so my 7 and 8 round mags go to my K9 now)

BTW, using 6rd mag, my gun was one of only two that ran perfect all day. XD failure, M92, HK and M&P failed.

Only the GLOCKs and my Kahr ran prefect. (And my MK9 was the most accurate, even though it was by far the smallest. Biggest guy, smallest gun, no issues)

Bawanna
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Well that's enlightening. If it did that in a steel frame it could most certainly do it in a tupperware frame which undoubtedly has a little more flex. Enough pressure to push the mag out of alignment, enough to cause malfunctions.

I guess theres another check mark in the it's the gun column.

Many, I know Jocko's one believe in sticking with the flush mags anyhow for concealment and I find myself in that camp also. At the range it matters not alot but in a compitition or real life the flush seems to be the way to go.

CPO15
04-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes, that is interesting that Jim could do that in a steel frame. Was it pinkie-pressure, a twisting (torque) issue or his his grip strong enough to flex the steel?

Like Jocko and Bawanna, I'll stick to the six rounders for carry. But I'll keep the larger ones if they'll keep working at the range. I probably should have noted that I had no issues, but I only loaded six rounds in them.

jocko
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
My 7rd mags worked great for a few years, never an issue.

Then I took a Suarez Point Shooting Course and the little MK9 was outstanding, until I was doing speed reloads, running and gunning, my grip tightened up a lot and the mag was pushed out of alignment, causing a FTL.

I switched to my three 6rd mags with finger rest and the MK9 ran flawless for the next 200rds. (It took me a minute to figure it out and I was able to replicate the failure in follow up tests, so my 7 and 8 round mags go to my K9 now)

BTW, using 6rd mag, my gun was one of only two that ran perfect all day. XD failure, M92, HK and M&P failed.

Only the GLOCKs and my Kahr ran prefect. (And my MK9 was the most accurate, even though it was by far the smallest. Biggest guy, smallest gun, no issues)

so having said what you said, would yoiu trust the 7 rounders now??? When does one know when his grip has changed enough to screw things up etc??? I am not a rambo or scenario type person either but we have just read to much about the 7 round extended magaqzines not doing like the 6 round flush fit do...I would classify that as qanreliable magazine.:blah:

course what do I know, I have probalby shot my 7 rounder maybe a half dozen ties in over 4years. The most butt ugly magazine I have ever seen. Mine did work though in those few times but I just could not get by the butt uglieness of that magazine.:blah:

JimBianchi
04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Yes, that is interesting that Jim could do that in a steel frame. Was it pinkie-pressure, a twisting (torque) issue or his his grip strong enough to flex the steel?

Like Jocko and Bawanna, I'll stick to the six rounders for carry. But I'll keep the larger ones if they'll keep working at the range. I probably should have noted that I had no issues, but I only loaded six rounds in them.

I have very large hands and it was part of my ring finger and pinky hitting the extended mag. I am a gorilla (6'5" 285#) and former bodybuilder, but not so much as to squish a steel gun in my hands....

I will not carry the extended round mags for self defense.

But in comparison, both my G26 and G30 have the extended round mags with spacers and I can squeeze the ba-jesus out them and the mag moves more than the Kahr mags, but I've never cause it to jam doing it.

But as every GLOCK owner knows, those guns are not "tight" on purpose and will fire almost to the point of no-matter-what.

But they ain't skinny or pretty....like the steel Kahr's.