PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Golden Saber 185 +P in CW45?

TheTman
04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried or been using Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P, and how well do you like it compared to other brands?
Cheaper Than Dirt has them for $17 for a box of 25, and was thinking about ordering a case and splitting them with a friend that wants 185gr ammo for his 3.5 inch barrel Kimber. The gunsmith at the place he bought his Kimber said with the short barrel, the 185gr performs better and expands more reliably than most 230gr does. I don't really care about bullet weight, as much as performance.
The published FPS (1140) and FPE (534) sure look impressive. Of course we'll lose some of that with the shorter barrels, but should still be plenty powerful. Anyway, the cost and the ballistics made me want to try them, went to the range and got a box to see if they feed in both our guns, cost $30.03 for 25. I left half with my buddy, and took 2 mags worth. If both mags run with no hiccups, I'll probably order some from CTD while they have em priced low.
Right now we're both using Winchester 230gr Supreme Elite (now don't that sound fancy) PDX1 from Walmart for about $19 a box.
I figure the Golden Saber is a tried and true bullet, used by many agencies, and should meet our needs very well. Trying to find a balance between cost and performance, so we can afford to shoot some of our carry ammo. Was looking for Federal Personal Protection too, but they sure seem to be scarce right now. Gold Dots are out for now, as they won't feed in the Kimber very well. He's going to polish his feed ramp so maybe he'll get better results from Gold Dots and others bullets that hang up. You'd think a Kimber would be pretty well polished to begin with.

HadEmAll
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I use it in my M&P .45, and the non +P version in my Kimber Classic.

I get 1118 fps from the M&P 4.5" barrel, and 1051 from my Beretta PX4 4" barrel.

The 185 grain Golden Saber is well known to be one of the best feeding bullets due to the rounded ogive. My Kimber is a little ammo sensitive with JHPs. It has never had a problem with the Golden Saber JHP, either 185 or 230 grain.

I like it.

Mr. S
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm sure the Golden Sabres would do the job however buying defense ammo in 25 round boxes is very rarely cost effective.
If you are really concerned about the loss of velocity from the short barrel and want a +P round might I recommend this as it will cost less and perform as well if not better than the Golden Sabre as the heavier bullet will give better penetration.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227401091

This same shop has standard pressure T-series for $20 more and the Rnager bonded for $40 more per case.

Dietrich
04-29-2011, 03:15 AM
I bought 20 boxes of Golden Saber 9mm 124gr.+P from Cabelas when I caught them in a pricing error.Saved around $10.00 per box.That`s what I carry in my 9mms most of the time.In my .45 I carry 230 gr.bonded Golden Sabers.Both rounds are very capable of getting the job done.The good folks at Remington make fine defensive ammunition as do many other manufacturers.

TheTman
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh I like those Winchester Ranger T series. Trouble is I'd want to try a box before I bought 500. And the guy I want to split it with wants 185 gr. cause Moses,,, errr I mean his gun smith told him that 185gr work best out of his 3.5 inch barrel. Whatever... There is a gun show this weekend or next, and maybe I can pick up some T series there and test it. Not really wanting +P was just what CTD had available at a good price. I wouldnt feed a steady diet of +p thru it, but a couple mags now and then shouldn't hurt. Also I think the Golden Saber has a narrower mouth than the T series, and would probably feed thru our guns better. The rangers I have in .40 are very wide mouthed and caused me to have to do some filing to get them to work right,

HadEmAll
05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
If your .45 pistol of any type feeds FMJ okay, it'll feed the 185 or 230 grain Golden Saber JHP too. That's worth a little extra expense to me. You don't normally shoot up hundreds of them at the range, but you sure want your defense pistol to feed as close to 100% as you can get it.