PDA

View Full Version : What About CW40s?

500KV
12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Well I've got that 40cal Kahr itch and I know from past experience it ain't goin' away 'till I scratch it.
I'M sure you know what I mean.

What good things can you all tell me about a CW40.
I'm leaning that direction 'cause it's ~200 bucks cheaper than the PM40 and I think I'd rather have the extra 1/2" barrel length with 40cal.
Have there been many problems with the CW40?

jocko
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I've got that 40cal Kahr itch and I know from past experience it ain't goin' away 'till I scratch it.

I'm leaning that direction 'cause it's ~200 bucks cheaper than the PM40 and I think I'd rather have the extra 1/2" barrel length with 40cal.

in polymer frame and 40 cal have "recoil" expect it from such a light weight gun. I would not think there would be much difference in recoil between the CW and PM,The price difference. the PM offers few bells and whistles but over all now with the CW guns being able to install night sights on them, they are a real bargain. The internals of each are all the same so your not getting an inferior gun IMO.

Refer to the karh tech section and the "lube" sticky. it is a dandy, break it in right and read the manual for Gods sakes. and u will love it.

500KV
12-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Quite right about the lube advice.
I've broken in a PM9 and CW45 and really "need" this third caliber.:)

Overall,looks like the CW is a little larger than the PM and has conventional rifling as opposed to polygonal, both of which I think would suite me better.
I just wondered if there were any particular issues with them. Haven't seen any posts about specific problems.

mr surveyor
12-06-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't personally own a CW40, but having a bit of experience with a good friend's CW40 was what led to my purchase of a CW9. I have a Sig P239 in 40 cal, so I feel like my caliber needs were met there. But, having been on a 6 year search for the ultimate slim 9mm carry gun, I was intrigued with my friend's CW40, enough so that I changed my mind from the more expensive MK9 to the CW9 (I still plan to get the MK someday). The CW40 has a much more pronounced recoil and muzzle flip, but in no way is it uncontrolable. The considerably heavier Sig P239 obviously has less percieved recoil than the CW40, but I really think that the lower bore axis of the CW tends to make the muzzle flip almost even... at least to me. One thing you will find with the 40 cal is a much smaller variety in ammunition choices, although I do consider it to be somewhat superior to 9mm in making larger holes.

Personally, I would have absolutely no hesitation in buying a CW40 if I were in the market for a slim, concealable 40 cal pistol. And with the new offering of night sights for the CW series, it sounds really good.

surv

500KV
12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't personally own a CW40, but having a bit of experience with a good friend's CW40 was what led to my purchase of a CW9. I have a Sig P239 in 40 cal, so I feel like my caliber needs were met there. But, having been on a 6 year search for the ultimate slim 9mm carry gun, I was intrigued with my friend's CW40, enough so that I changed my mind from the more expensive MK9 to the CW9 (I still plan to get the MK someday). The CW40 has a much more pronounced recoil and muzzle flip, but in no way is it uncontrolable. The considerably heavier Sig P239 obviously has less percieved recoil than the CW40, but I really think that the lower bore axis of the CW tends to make the muzzle flip almost even... at least to me. One thing you will find with the 40 cal is a much smaller variety in ammunition choices, although I do consider it to be somewhat superior to 9mm in making larger holes.

Personally, I would have absolutely no hesitation in buying a CW40 if I were in the market for a slim, concealable 40 cal pistol. And with the new offering of night sights for the CW series, it sounds really good.

surv

Thanks for the report surv.
It does look like a good carry piece to me as well.

I have a Sig 239 in 40cal and have a 357Sig barrel for it, which I highly recommend. Gives you a choice and I love the 357Sig round.
Think I've found my Christmas present..Now all that's left is to convince "you know who". ;)

johnatw
12-06-2009, 07:03 AM
I bought a CW 40 in April 2009 and have been happy with it. Recently after about 1200 + rounds fired it would fail to return to battery about once in 100 rounds fired, Ian sent me a new recoil spring to try. I have not been able to return to the range to test yet.
I have found that 40 cal ammo is easier to find, but slightly more expensive as all ammo is these days.

shooter37
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
I first bought a CW9 and enjoyed it both as a CCW and as a fine shooter. This led to buying the CW40 which is a much better shooter, By that I mean the 40 S&W offers a better choice of loadings and power than the 9mm.
I found the 40 to be very accurate and easy to control.
I now have over 1000 round thru the 40 and had only to replace the mag. catch (Kahr freebie) to fix a mag drop problem.
Given the info I now have I'd have gone with the CW40 1st.
Good Luck
Al

500KV
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the advice folks.
You know your just making this itch worse don't you? :)
Buds has them for $417 shipped.
Now if I can just slip it past "you know who"...:behindsofa:

jocko
12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the advice folks.
You know your just making this itch worse don't you? :)
Buds has them for $417 shipped.
Now if I can just slip it past "you know who"...:behindsofa:

is a fair price IMO. :001_tt2:

johnatw
12-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Don't worry about you know who, use this advice which I learned after 40+ years of marriage. When she finally sees the weapon for the first time and asks about it just say "What? I've had this forever"

500KV
12-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Don't worry about you know who, use this advice which I learned after 40+ years of marriage. When she finally sees the weapon for the first time and asks about it just say "What? I've had this forever"
Good advice johnatw.

I've managed to slip AKs and shotguns in so surely something as small as this little Kahr won't be noticed.
Another good thing is, it looks pretty much like the other two.
I'll just send her off shopping for awhile. She loves to indulge in that plastic and it gives me a little covert time. :yo:

jocko
12-07-2009, 10:24 AM

the voice of experience,,,,THAT WORKS:p

500KV
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey, you guys are just making the itch worse you know.

Well too late anyway. It'll be on that brown truck tomorrow...

getsome
12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi 500KV, Your gonna love the CW40 itch remedy...I really like mine and it has worked great right out of the box, I sent it off to Mag-na-Port and its now a fantastic shooting pistol...Now I have the itch for some night sights, Hummmmm::rolleyes: I wonder if she......Oh never mind... I hope you enjoy yours when it gets there...Isn't it funny how well tuned our ears get to the sound of that brown truck coming down the street when you know whats on the way!!!:D

500KV
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi 500KV, Your gonna love the CW40 itch remedy...I really like mine and it has worked great right out of the box, I sent it off to Mag-na-Port and its now a fantastic shooting pistol...Now I have the itch for some night sights, Hummmmm::rolleyes: I wonder if she......Oh never mind... I hope you enjoy yours when it gets there...Isn't it funny how well tuned our ears get to the sound of that brown truck coming down the street when you know whats on the way!!!:D
Thanks for the report getsome (hope I spelled that right).:):)
Absolutely right about that brown truck thing. The dadgum things have become an obsessive/compulsive problem for me...Guns, bullets, powder, holsters,etc.; well you know.

OK45
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I bought a used CW 40 a couple of months ago and ran several hundred rounds through it without a single problem. Chambers the first round best from slide release but that seems to be a Kahr thing. I don't notice the recoil any worse than other 40's but I am not very bothered by recoil anyway. Liked it so much I just got a CW 9. You are just going to have to scratch that itch.

500KV
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I bought a used CW 40 a couple of months ago and ran several hundred rounds through it without a single problem. Chambers the first round best from slide release but that seems to be a Kahr thing. I don't notice the recoil any worse than other 40's but I am not very bothered by recoil anyway. Liked it so much I just got a CW 9. You are just going to have to scratch that itch.
Hey OK45.
Yeah, got that thing yesterday went out this morning and put 100 trouble free rounds through her.:)
28 degrees but I had to try it. The indoor range was closed today.
Slick little piece; think it'll make a great CCW.
Boy they're tight when they're new aren't they?

.45mac.40
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
500KV :D
I mostly carry my CW40 ...and, in a Matrix7 holster... 24/7 !
Tha' only thing I've had to do is ... use a little Brasso, to clean off some barrel stains...AND, take her dancing at the range ! I did not buy her to be a holster queen !
Love this little pistol and trust her with my life !
Get one, you won't be sorry !
Mac
:33: .45 >>>>> # %%% #
.........40 >>>>> # ::::: #
:80:
1/185th Armor

leatherman
12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
glad to be among friends,had the cw9 a few yrs ago sold to a friend.found myself going through dt's,had to get another got cw40 had small issue with the slidelock spring.replaced it.purrs like a cat at the range,night sites you bet

Dframe
12-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I have fired 1,600 rounds through my 40 now without a single hitch. Rounds included warm factory stuff all the way to light plinking loads. Couldn't be happier with this small but potent gun.

jocko
12-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey OK45.
Yeah, got that thing yesterday went out this morning and put 100 trouble free rounds through her.:)
28 degrees but I had to try it. The indoor range was closed today.
Slick little piece; think it'll make a great CCW.
Boy they're tight when they're new aren't they?

more than likely your kahr will remain tight also. I have 25,000+ rounds out of my PM9 and it has no slide rattles or anythingj. It looks totally new all through the inside also. For some reasons kahrs are very tight guns and for another reason they seem to stay tight also.

glad your like your 40 cal, the more you shoot it the smoother it will work out also and the better your groups will be. As u have probably noticed, kahrs have that very loooooong but totally smooth trigger and it takes time and rounds to get used to it. I still think (and it might just be me to) that a kahr is not a 2" group gun at 15 yards due to the design of the loooong but ultra safe trigger system. they are what they are IMO, a very close up defense gun that you wll carry more often than any other gun you have owned and that will be totally reliable. If u think your 40 kahr gives you more recoil that you like---PORT IT.

nice gun, enjoy it..:) and reread your manual, kahr givers you some excellent tips in there . slide lock lever tip, recoil spring tip etc.. and the kahr lube photo display on this forum under the tech section is the best around... then and only then if you have any issues, please run them by Jim K first, for he knows shakespeare.!!!!

ad3pena
01-01-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a CW 40 with a set of Crimson Trace Laser grips and love it! Just need a holster for it.

gunmut
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Well I had a CW40 with mag drop problems; I traded it off (let the guy know about the issue, he did not seemed worried about it. With what I know now I should have just changed out the mag release and spring and I sure things would have been fine). Later on I found a great deal on a P40 and up to this point it has works everytime I pull the trigger.

As far as recoil goes; it is snappy but not a big deal. I also have a K40 and there is a real difference between the two; the K40 is very mild in the recoil dept.

I do have a CW9 and K9; I find the workmanship be be very high on both. Hope this helps.

500KV
01-02-2010, 06:28 AM
I've had it for a few weeks now and have ~300 rounds through it without a hitch. It likes the Rem. Golden Saber 165grs. Size wise It's in between my CW45 and PM9 and has become my fav. CCW. Like that 40cal round.

I'm convinced that too many good CCWs just contribute to one's frustration and indecisiveness though. (What to carry today).

madwill
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
recoil should be less of a problem with the release of horandys critical defense in .40 caliber this year.

tv_racin_fan
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I've had it for a few weeks now and have ~300 rounds through it without a hitch. It likes the Rem. Golden Saber 165grs. Size wise It's in between my CW45 and PM9 and has become my fav. CCW. Like that 40cal round.

I'm convinced that too many good CCWs just contribute to one's frustration and indecisiveness though. (What to carry today).

I don't see the issue at all. Just put all the Kahrs in a hat and draw out one and thats the carry gun for the day. Or heck just get a couple more holsters and carry em all everyday... oh I sure am glad I got susspenders, all these Kahrs weighing my pants down...

500KV
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Or heck just get a couple more holsters and carry em all everyday... oh I sure am glad I got susspenders, all these Kahrs weighing my pants down...
Well that's not a bad idea since I wear both a belt and suspenders (I like several layers of protection).
I should just carry them all.:p:p