PDA

View Full Version : MK9/PM9...Need Input Plz...

jreXD9
05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
....I'm thinking about trading my PM9 for an MK9, straight up. Other than the MK9 weighing about 8 oz. more, what is the difference between these pistols? I assume that there'd be a noticeable difference in felt recoil? Is the extra 8 oz. in this small package negatively noticeable when pocket carrying?

Has anyone here had both? If so, what was your experience?

Willieboy
05-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I would think the difference is what you'd expect it to be. Other than the different frame material, I think the pistols are the same. Both will fit in your pocket, but with the MK9 you'll walk with a list to port or starboard.

CPO15
05-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Have both, both new: 500 rounds in PM9, 350 in the KM9 (just got my wood grips yesterday!). Really don't experience any difference in recoil, the extra weight isn't noticed either (OWB carry). MK9 does, however, feel better in my hand and seems to shoot better. Perhaps the extra weight stabilizes my aim, like the extra weight of my bull-barreled MK II? I do not pocket carry a 9mm, but I do think the heft of the MK9 would be noticed in a pocket.

Garland
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I went to a gun show few months ago specifically to buy an MK9 Elite, but came home with the PM9. I loved the look and feel of the MK9, but knew it would be too much (for me, anyway) to pocket carry.

jocko
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
IMO, a wise choice if anything just for the weight. The MK9 has to be the cadillac of the small steel guns..

kahrseye
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
If I had to choose between the two it would have to be the PM9. I love to pocket carry it and the extra weight of the MK makes pocket carry prohibitive. All other aspects of these two are equal. But you can always do what I did........BUY BOTH!!!

JimBianchi
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I have pocket carried a lot of guns over the years, including a PM9, MK9, SW Bodyguard, CA Bulldog 44SP, G26 and G30.

I still pocket carry the MK9 on a regular basis. With the right holster (AHolster!) it is very comfortable in loose shorts or khakis.

Just to be fair, I am a moose at 6'5"/290#, so what works for me, may not for others.

jreXD9
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I've got a DeSantis Nemesis Superfly that I use with the PM9. Also have a Bianchi 105 that I've used strong side, cross draw, boot carry and.....pocket carry with the PM9. I'm surprised at the comment noting no real difference in recoil. Might the polymer be absorbing or softening it vs. it vibrating THRU the steel frame of the MK? Not sure that makes sense.....I really don't think either of us can lose with this trade.

jreXD9
05-07-2011, 08:42 PM
did the deed this afternoon. the MK9 has replaced the PM9. Nice solid feel to it.

JimBianchi
05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
good choice

jocko
05-08-2011, 05:10 AM
for steel gun lovers, it is a slow process to convert into polymer lovers, some own um but never really cuddle up to them. I can't say how nice and attractive my K9 is. truly a peace of workmanship IMO but it just can't fit the bill that my PM9 can. I can only picutre n my thoughts an MK9 in dlc finish with some nice xs big dots on it..

Retops
05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Have both and love both. The PM9 is easier for pocket carry but the MK9 is fun for the range, or training people who are learning to shoot. It is so solid and shoots anything without problem. I often carry the MK9 on those days that I am not packing my normal 1911.

jreXD9
05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
oh my goodness!!! I went to the range yesterday and shot the new-to-me MK9 and my new LCR .357 (with .38s). IMO the MK is a MUCH softer shooter than the PM9. Not nearly the amount of recoil or muzzle flip and to be honest, I thought the PM9 wasn't too bad. This thing is just sooo smooooth. It may have been my imagination, but the trigger felt lighter, too. Best trade I've ever made.

jocko
05-11-2011, 07:40 PM
not hard to love the MK9, not to many all steel subs clsoe to the MK kahrs IMO, but for pocket carry the pM9 prevails

harrydog
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
The MK9 is a great little gun but for me the PM9 makes better sense for a gun that size. For something with a little more heft I like the K9.

Denny M
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I have carried my PM9 in my pocket, at 4:00, at 6:00 and on my ankle. I couldn't do that with too many 9mm guns. I believe it is one of the most, if not the most, adaptable and versatile guns made. Having said that, we all have our own opinions and like JimBianchi says, “what works for me, may not work for others”.

wayneo1
06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I chose the MK9 elite because I just like steel guns. But I think if I wanted to carry in my pocket all the time which I dont, plastic is the way to go. I dont mind carrying in a holster, and I can tuck it under just a t shirt no problem. MK9 in the front pocket to go out back and see whats going on is no problem.