PDA

View Full Version : Loose rear sight MK9

CPO15
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Before I call Kahr, I thought I'd get some help from the forum members:

New MK9, 400 rounds so far: rear sight is loose! It moves about 1/8" from side to side with minimal finger pressure and then meets resistance and stops. It appears that I could, with greater finger pressure on the left side, remove the sight from the right side. At both extremes it is not centered and is loose enough that I fear I will lose it during normal carry. It seems to be getting worse as I fiddle with it while typing this post.

Suggestions? Fixes? Or should I just call the Mothership?

Thanks.

gb6491
05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Loctite will hold it in place.
Regards,
Greg

Bawanna
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
If you think it will come off without difficulty you could also clamp it in a vise upside down and take a center punch and put a few dimples in the base. Your creating high spots so it takes up more space in the dovetail. While it's out you could also gently take a brass hammer and give the top edges of the dovetail a little tap.
Doing this in addition to GB's locktite should anchor that sight for the long run.

Locktite alone would probably hold it but a little mechanical edge might be a good thing too.

O'Dell
05-06-2011, 02:15 PM
If you think it will come off without difficulty you could also clamp it in a vise upside down and take a center punch and put a few dimples in the base. Your creating high spots so it takes up more space in the dovetail. While it's out you could also gently take a brass hammer and give the top edges of the dovetail a little tap.
Doing this in addition to GB's locktite should anchor that sight for the long run.

Locktite alone would probably hold it but a little mechanical edge might be a good thing too.

Boy, you are sophisticated when it comes to gunsmithing. I solved the same problem on the PM9 with a tiny smear of superglue [no locktite handy]. Of course the sight is now totally immovable now, but it no longer falls into my lap when I'm cleaning the gun.

jocko
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
everything you readhere will workl. Pick your own poison. Definitely no need to send it back..

wayneo1
05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I would send it in, its a new gun and the sight is falling out. yeah you can fix it maybe, but now its new, in a year it wont be. Unless the fixes listed are the normal way its done, then its up to you. But I dont think so, itsToo much money to accept but thats me and I can go overboard. I mean I have had sigs, hk, S&W, barettas etc and never had a sight falling off, its not right. It doesnt make Kahr bad, stuff happens just fix it.

CPO15
05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. Kahr suggested I have them send a new sight or send the slide to them. Yes, it's a new gun and I want to shoot it, so I asked for the part and went with the super glue as a temporary fix (very little glue).

Thanks again....