PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my MK9

KMA
05-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I wonder if someone can help me to fix my own mistake :rolleyes:. After field stripping and cleaning my MK9, for some strange reason – do not ask me why – I put the slide on the frame while the barrel and recoil assembly were not into the slide :7: . Now I cannot pull the slide out from the frame. How on earth can I fix this? Thanks in advance for all help.

jlottmc
05-21-2011, 02:08 PM
I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to move the slide freely, and line up the little hole to pull the slide stop out. Maybe I missed something, but there should be no reason for trouble, you may have to pull the trigger to get the slide off. If there is no bbl there, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger and perhaps hold it while you move the slide.

Bawanna
05-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I need closure KMA. Did you get it off. Just like Jlott said it's the same process with or without the barrel. Pull the trigger, might have to jiggle it some but the slide should come right back off.

Let us know where your at.

KMA
05-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I need closure KMA. Did you get it off. Just like Jlott said it's the same process with or without the barrel. Pull the trigger, might have to jiggle it some but the slide should come right back off.

Let us know where your at.

Yes, I could field strip it without problems, but I put the slide on the frame without barrel or recoil assembly and I pulled the slide back (like when you rack it). Now I can move the slide back until the very end, but when I am trying to move it forward it moves only until the striker spring is totally compressed, then it is stops. It looks like it is the the striker that hinders the slide from moving forward. Pulling the trigger does not help at all.

jlottmc
05-21-2011, 03:14 PM
That's weird. Sounds like the striker cam is caught on the rear of the slide, and the way to fix that is to pull the trigger. I can see it in my head, but can't look right now (1 at work firearms, illegal 2 Kahrs are at the house and the Smith is ah near) Pull the slide back a bit then try the trigger again. That's all I can think that would cause a problem other than the slide stop not being pushed through the hole on the left side (witness marks). This may require a little force, but you should be able to move that slide and pull the trigger, hold it, and pull that slide right off.

KMA
05-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Here are two pictures: the first one shows how the slide moves rearward all the way, the second one shows where the slide stops moving when I am trying to move it forward (the striker spring is compressed). No matter how hard I try and how much I pull the trigger it does not move more than that.

jocko
05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
A SUGGESTION, WITH THE slide all the way back, take off that back plate on the slide and see if u can take the striker out of the gun. that way the cocking cam cannot get lodged in the striker area. I can't see how with the striker assembly out of the gun that it then cannot slide off the gun. With the siide all the way back like in your picture the striker should be under no tension at all, and it shoud come right out, .

KMA
05-21-2011, 04:49 PM
A SUGGESTION, WITH THE slide all the way back, take off that back plate on the slide and see if u can take the striker out of the gun. that way the cocking cam cannot get lodged in the striker area. I can't see how with the striker assembly out of the gun that it then cannot slide off the gun. With the siide all the way back like in your picture the striker should be under no tension at all, and it shoud come right out, .

Before I posted here I thought about taking the striker out of the gun, but I did not want to do it; I should hate needing to detail disassembly the slide. I cannot understand how it could be in that way.

jocko
05-21-2011, 05:13 PM
not like heart surgery, there is a tutorial over on the kahr tech section on slide disassembly. I think this suggestion will take away any forceable stuff that you might be inclined to try.

KMA
05-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I found the video about how to disassemble the CW9 slide; I imagine that disassembling the MK9 is the same thing. I tried to take striker out of the slide, but since the slide is on the frame I cannot grip it in the right way and there is not way I can compress the extractor spring or even try to slide the plate; I pushed the extractor pin very hard, but it did not help. And I know that if I continue trying that hard I will scratch the slide and/or the frame. So, any suggestions?

jocko
05-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I didn''t say it was going to be easy with the slide on the gun would benice if u had access to a vice, and then insert the opened slide betweenthe juaws with peaces of wood on each side, then yourhads are free to compress the striker plunger and then the extractor spirng. It really doesn't take alot of either to get aht back plate tostart out and once it starts to move out then u ar epast the two oblects that holdthat back plate in.

G3709
05-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi KMA,
A few weeks ago, I put the slide onto the frame without the barrel, guide rod and recoil spring, just like what you did to see how tight they fit together. The slide was stuck the same way as yours. I did just like what Jlottmc describes. I used very little force pushing the slide while squeezing the trigger. Be patient. The slide seems to be stuck passing by part number15. You will have to move the slide back and forth when moving by that area. I did get the slide free after three or four tries. I hope that you free your slide soon.

jocko
05-22-2011, 12:31 PM
YES INDEED HE CAN JUST GIVE THE SLIDE A WHACK ON THE BACK WHERE IT STARTS TO HIT KAND IT WILL PASS OVER THE OBJECT .. Ican't see hw he is going tohurt anythng by trying that. A rubber maller ot plastic hammer or block of wood will do the trick.

gb6491
05-22-2011, 06:33 PM
KMA,
Hold the pistol as you would when firing it. Put the off hand (palm down) on top of the slide and push the slide forward until the rear of it is even with the rear of the frame (just like it would be when ready to fire). Hold it there (should be under spring tension) and pull the trigger. The slide should come off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fOQ7fC8ks
Regards,
Greg

KMA
05-23-2011, 06:05 AM
KMA,
Hold the pistol as you would when firing it. Put the off hand (palm down) on top of the slide and push the slide forward until the rear of it is even with the rear of the frame (just like it would be when ready to fire). Hold it there (should be under spring tension) and pull the trigger. The slide should come off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fOQ7fC8ks
Regards,
Greg

That worked :cheer2:; thanks a lot. And thank you so much everyone for your time and your help, I really appreciate it! :yo:

MikeyKahr
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
It's always nice to see a plan come together. Good luck with the MK9, KMA, and don't ever do that again! Way to come together and get this figured out so it didn't have to make a wasted trip to the motherland.

Willieboy
05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
I've jammed things up a few times over the years. I hate that feeling when parts that should move feel like they're welded together.

MW surveyor
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
KMA - Just don't feel like the Lone Ranger with the problem that you had. Don't ask me how I know :)